Digitakt v MPC Live: real buyers survey (UK£)

Only 5 mins in and already it’s 0-0

3 Likes

count me in for the mpc live.

1 Like

I’m looking forward for Digitakt.

I like how the Elektron workflow kind of inherits the x0x sequencer and takes it to another level. Also DT feels more like a concise piece of gear, looks really nicely designed.

That said, the sequencer plays a big role for me. Trigger conditions are great, love it, but I’m expecting more flexibility (i.e. tempo multiplier/divider per track) so I can really use it as a master sequencer for all my gear. Imagine needing to use 2 patterns just cause your 64 steps sequencer can’t deal with longer pads or something. It really limits your results in a bad way.

1 Like

yea +1 on the tempo multiplier per track. I think it’s essential with elektron sequencers. not having it frequently completely ruins my ideas and flow.

please please include it guys

Digitakt 19
MPC Live 25
Both 4

’ For those of you watching in black and white, Spurs are in the all yellow strip.’

3 Likes

I would buy a Digitakt in a heartbeat if only it offered at least 16 voices instead of only 8 and if it offered a way to set tracks to be polyphonic instead of monophonic.

It’s 2017 and this is an entirely digital box. I know it’s designed as a “drum sampler”, but it has a chromatic mode and it feels silly that you can’t use that to add some quick chords using a pad, string, or piano sound you just sampled.

Drowning stuff in reverb and delay to fake polyphony like Cenk does in this video really shouldn’t be needed (look at this face when he answers the question; I bet he thinks it’s bullshit as well ;)):

https://youtu.be/nv1dfLLrWxU?t=6m

3 Likes

Would be different for sure, tho it makes sense to be mono when handling short hits, this is mainly why there not worth comparing seriously, jus for Kicks

if DT could take long samples, and sample true stereo, for this price, it’d be a whole different Ball Game :soccer:

i guess that will be the OT2 (one day maybe)

it can take long samples :+1::+1:

Really ?! Ahh sorry I’ve been sleeping on it lately. I thought it was still aimed mainly at 1 shots. Carry on. :blush:

Anyone that’s used an MPC Touch w/ 1.9 software knows exactly what to expect, short of new features like audio tracks, which are merely icing on an already decadent cake. Early demo users say that the units are rock solid, responsive, and sound great.

3 Likes

i love Elektron stuff, but MPC Live or Digitakt+OB?? i will go for MPC Live, coz that spec for music production is way more make sense. Digitakt is only for fun/sketch, 64mb ram 8 voice mono with no timestretch…not a good comparison tho.

2 Likes

Haha, oddly enough I’m planning to use my MPC Live in the studio and my Digitakt for live performance! We shall see whether it turns out that way once I’ve got them in my studio…

Can someone point me towards a good video on MPC Live, the ones I’ve seen don’t reveal much/make it seem kind of… boring ducks for cover

1 Like

Well, here’s the one closest to an actual studio workflow environment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDoHh3nRQyg

Unfortunately, we don’t have anything like that for the Digitakt yet to compare with.

As for boring…there’s no such thing as a boring instrument, just a boring person at the end of it.

2 Likes

Having the MPC run on a battery is a great move.
It seems we now all like taking our instruments out and about these days.
I find it strange that the 0-coast wasn’t designed to take batteries.

1 Like

I think we’re past due for another hoax, sir :smiley:

2 Likes

Well Song mode on the Live is lacking, its just stacking sequences on a list. Digitakt without a song mode makes up with pattern chaining.

For me, song mode should be like a multitracker with 4 to 16 tracks, not necessary a full blown DAW but just the basics like copy and paste, cut and mend etc.

Sweetwater has confirmed a tracking number of their Live shipment😱

i go for digitakt, as a know the elektron workflow and love to have a machine to control my synths with trigger conditions and parameter locks. also an easy to handle sampler (not as complicated as ot) is highly appreciated. but ill wait until tests with final firmware are out, at the moment there are a few questions left open.

mcp live tries to be a daw, but as i produce my tracks with ableton and Im happy with the workflow, i dont need an alternative for that

… a little baby is now taking up any spare time I have so sadly no time for fannying about in Photoshop for me :wink:

4 Likes

I am going for Digitakt with 90% percent certainty. Even though I have been critical of some missing features in previous Elektron boxes, I love the workflow in all of them. From what I’ve seen about MPC Live, it’s just not as intuitive to use.

I’d love to see how the Digitakt features we haven’t seen yet work though (MIDI sequencing, Overbridge, Pattern Chaining etc).