Digitakt v MPC Live: real buyers survey (UK£)

I preordered for both the Digitakt and the MPC Live😊

The Live will be a great studio box where I can create an album and mixtapes, mixing vocals over tracks, mastering etc.

The Digitakt will be a sketchpad for beats at first, but once I learn it, I plan to make full songs within it too.

I just love samplers, gotta have em all!

1 Like

Digitakt 10

MPC Live 14

Both 2

Digitakt.

While my relationship with the MPC2000XL was very fruitful, the more recent Akai products have disappointed me. Build quality, OS issues. My taste for Akai products has soured.

And since I didn’t gel with 99% of iPad music apps, I can only conclude that touch interfaces are not conducive to my creative process.

Conditional trigs on MIDI sequencing with hardware from a company I have found to be quite dependable is what excites me the most.

3 Likes

MPC Live,

It’s basically a DAW with hardware buttons/knobs and everything I need in terms of sampling, sequencing and portability. Very excited!!

2 Likes

This whole MPC vs. Digitakt question made me realize I didn’t really need one more sampler / MIDI mind control… so I got a Heat instead :smile:

7 Likes

That’s what I literally did this weekend… but it doesn’t work well in my OverBridge setup… :frowning:

I think that are two very different gears.
DT is an Elektron sequencer with samples for sound generation and (I hope) a good editing to use it also to “create” sounds and not only as a drum machine.
P-lock + sound editing can create crazy texture, glitch-noise abstract sound ecc. + a good drum unit to program and play what you put in (808, acustic drum, ecc)
I thinks it’s more for manipulate one shot samples.

MPC is a DAW.
I think it’s more for import loop and big audio file from other gear or PC and work on it in the hardware way.

The choice?
It depends by what you need but I want to see both in use before order.
I have not the two units so it’s just an opinion…

Digitakt 11

MPC Live 15

Both 2

In the market for a sampler that would compliment my AR and A4. Digitakt seemed like the better option until I heard about the Live. Battery powered, a lot more tracks, a lot more memory, those are features that are making me say I’ll probably buy the Live, but I don’t trust Akai with software and I’m worried they might release the machine with a buggy OS.

I also want to see the DT in action. The pricing scheme, the limitations (only 1 stereo output, mono samples) and the useless teasers kind of put me off it, but I’m still curious.

I guess for now, Live wins over the DT, but until the DT is restocked/tested and the Live is properly tested, I won’t spend a dime.

I’d like to see it in action but I still preordered the digitakt (US). My decision was mostly based on the sequencer and realtively upfront operation… My drum/sample needs are also fairly minimal but I’d like them to be rock solid. Lastly I trust that Elektron will stay involved with the digitakt expanding on what it can do till the hardware taps out.

*No experience with any of the MPCs.

1 Like

Digitakt 12

MPC Live 15

Both 2

8 Likes

I’d love to hear Trevor Motson say this score soooooo much!

1 Like

Best I can do - will be the official format going forward.

1 Like

I kind of hope you are right and don’t at the same time.
I really hope Elektron haven’t hit a plateau and now, sitting atop, will cascade it to us in various sexboxes, the next boutique volca range.
But I also stand by my post :thinking:

Who knows eh? I sold my Rytm, for cash not freedom, but do miss that synthetic DU type shiz I love that I got from it, not to mention the long nights with Strom and Collider, randomising into the new morning…
The closest thing to modular I ever got outside of a G2 and 360hp box of spaghetti sauce.

Damn… Change my vote to ‘both’ :wink:

2 Likes

MPC Live.

I was planning on getting the Digitakt, but no song mode is a deal breaker for me.

Digitakt 12

MPC Live 15

Both 3

1 Like

Yeah I’m now firmly in the wait and see camp. The Digitakt demos have blown the MPC Live demos out of the water for me. Different beasts of course and I know Cenk knows his stuff inside and out (at least compared to my knowledge of all things Elektron) but it just looked incredibly, well, fun.

From leading the pack, I probably currently now have MPC 3rd with OT 2nd, DT 1st haha.

Motson would be getting very, very excited right now…

1 Like

I really thought I was covered with OT.
But DT demos let the good old sampler show its age.
I like the workflow, love the sound.
Guess I’ll have to make some room to get myself this little beauty…
I thought mono would be a deal breaker, I don’t mind so much anymore.
Count me on the DT side !

2 Likes

Digitakt 13

MPC Live 15

Both 3

1 Like