Digitakt v MPC Live: real buyers survey (UK£)

As I’ve said above this isn’t meant to be scientific - it’s a broad survey to take the temperature of some Elektronauts buying intentions for two newly released “samplers” at a comparable price point.

That’s the only comparison and it’s good enough for the 20 or so folks who have thus far clearly stated their intention in the spirit of the survey.

Carry on.

Digitakt 8

MPC 13

Both 1

the ‘comparable price point’ has been debunked for some territories including the U.S. where the MPC Live will be more like 80%+ more expensive - so for someone here, a silly comparison.

@basehead617
Read the topic title - clearly says U.K.£ and we’re all smart enough to do the math and figure out if this works in our home currency or not. Again, not scientific, please try to stay on topic - this is not a debate about whether they are comparable or not, there are several other threads debating the specs of each.

Carry on.

4 Likes

Almost ready to push the Button on the MPC

was waiting to see if DK was to become my 1st Elektron, but totally underwhelmed with the info thats been released so far.

How about comparing an Octatrack to Digitrack to MPC Live?

I have the chance to get a near new OT for same price as the Live… leaning towards the OT to be honest, partly because this forum is amazing.

2 Likes

If you don’t need portability/linear sequencing/polyphonic tracks then grab the OT ASAP and keep an eye on the other two for later… OT is a beast. One of a kind…

1 Like

Maybe ot has many possibilities
For me, the ot workflow didnt help to make music

I will never buy an OT and i think the direction of more simple instrument is a very good one

1 Like

Guess everyone’s different :slight_smile: For me OT almost makes tracks FOR me. Can’t switch it on without having the bulk of a new track half hour later. Then record stereo mix of that in to Daw session with same tempo and edit/expand on it…super fast. Works just as well vice versa too but some reason I rarely do that, adding OT to stuff started in Daw… I probably should :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you wuick replies folks:)

Go for the Octatrack. Down the rabbit hole you go. We’ll all be waiting for you at the end. It’s a beatiful place to be.

1 Like

If I could buy either, I’d get the Digitakt, just because I’m already familiar with the OT, and I like the workflow for what kind of box it is. I know I’m a minority with regard to the MPC Live, and I have no experience with any of the older MPCs, but I did own Maschine a long time ago. To me the MPC Live seems like a great all in one box, but I’m just not a pad user/finger drummer, and that’s a huge physical chunk of that machine. It’s great all in oneness would be lost on me because I’d rather use Ableton on a much smaller laptop if I want a DAW environment and I’m not a fan of finger drumming pads or touch screens.

Digitakt 9

MPC 14

Both 1

i am actually excited about both!
however, the mpc scares me bc it seems too good to be true: i worry about build quality and OS completion.

To further my previous comment;
Look at mpc 1000 and earlier models and you’ll machines built to last and still being used today. This is comparable to early :3lektron: gear. But look at nukai gear and it seems to be one unfinished product after the next which is replaced by a bigger idea that inevitably becomes partially unrealized.

What is the likelihood that the live/X will break out of this pattern? Seriously, I’m not being cynical. I just wonder which gear is more likely to still be relevant in 5-10 years.

Fair comment but I think it’s possibly just as valid in reverse. Mpc live and Deluge cram a whole lot in there. For me re vs DT I’m probably gonna occasionally wish the mpc had p-locks, that’s it really… Trig conditions are cool but not as integral/fun for what I do as a ton of stuff on the mpc that’s missing on the DT. Makes the DT a total luxury item for me, whereas the MPC live looks like a huge practical workflow/productivity boost. I have an OT tho, so I feel kinda spoilt already when talking about DT…

But how long now til either the mpc adds p-locks or another hungry company like Deluge makers (or even behringer/Roland/korg/Ableton/NI etc) just nail it and totally beat down a bunch of Elektron boxes, who are quite careful with their inclusion of ‘new’ or amalgamated functions post OT, and throw everything Elektron does in there together at a great price. Gotta be not too far round the corner after the MPC has raised the bar… Seems like the materials are affordable these days for people to put it all in there IF they choose to… DT could look like a VERY expensive next gen SP-404 sooner than we think… Either way it makes no sense to hold off buying something ‘just in case’ it’s outdated. If it works for what you need now, cop it. Life’s too short. Goes for both DT and MPC.

Re build quality, Yeh I’d love it to last 10/20 years. But at same time if it only lasts 5 or becomes outdated after that, but in that time it helps me make 5 LPs that wouldn’t have materialised in the time without it, or do tours that would have been more ballache without it, that balances out OK for me. £800 isn’t ‘that’ much for those returns…

At same time, if DT ticks the right boxes for someone, that’s cool too. I don’t feel like it’s great value for money in 2017 from an established company, but things rarely are so I’ve given up complaining…Looks like a fun box but I have enough of what it does already covered + more in OT for it not to get me excited enough to Gas. Yet…

1 Like

Get both; haha
Sounds good.

Btw, the sonic state video for X is out. What do you think of it?

1 Like

The Sonic State video for the X left me impressed. It didnt look like anything was sped up during the freeze/bounce from controller to standalone which is great. Genuinely looks like you could head off with your Live/X and projects pretty quickly which is something that interests me a great deal.

I’m still more interested in the Live but that X video sure did leave me thinking about some alternative future set ups!

1 Like

X looks great. Wish the Live had those extra knobs/oleds! Too big/expensive for me atm…

3 Likes

The 1000 is Nukai

I decided on the Digitakt mostly for a few reasons:
I have an Analog Keys and the Digitakt will free up a lot of resources on the AK.
I use the AK as my CV time keeper for my eurorack system.
Initially, I was in the market for gate modules like the TipTop Circadian Rhythm or Malekko’s Varigate 8+.
I had an Octatrack but I struggled with it. -I just couldn’t wrap my brain around the workflow. I became “ok” with using it, but i wasn’t as good as i wanted to be. I ended up selling it.
I love percussion and sampling -always have and the Digitakt looks like a great solution for what I’m looking for.
If the Digitakt sequencer is anything like the AK (I believe it is), I’m really excited for that.

2 Likes