Digitakt v MPC Live: real buyers survey (UK£)

Digitakt - looks great. Will make a lot of people happy.
MPC live. - looks great. Will make a lot of people happy.
Holy moley, these products are amazing.
We are blessed. Truly. Truly. Blessed.
Buy whichever you need/like.
Or dont buy either.
We can all make amazing music with these machines.
And without.
So take your choice or take your business elewhere.
S’all the same. :wink:

4 Likes

Still don’t see the point in comparing these specific 2 products as they serve different purposes i.e. functionality not even close between the two.
MPC clear winner

3 Likes

Comparison is based on similar enough price point to be negligible for folks on this forum who have already dropped a few grand on gear. Both are “samplers”. Both drop in roughly a Spring timeframe so could be competing for your attention if your in the market for a sampler. It’s not meant to be a spec comparison just a top line what’s got you interested and where are you likely to spend your cash.

And the MPC isn’t the clear winner for the Elektronauts who have already declared they will prefer a Digitakt in this particular buying scenario.

I think I would take the digitakt first. All the DAW related stuff MPC offers I have decided to keep in the DAW, so MPC doesnt really offer me anything new, but that might change one day.

2 Likes

Digitakt. I don’t trust Akai to release an OS that isn’t full of bugs. Also the MPC Live is huge and more expensive, and looks less immediate. I’m already familiar with the Elektron workflow and Digitakt is supposed to streamline it even further.

mpc live is more bang for the buck but I’ma gon go for digitakt eventually. A bit expensive for what it is but it’s top of my list.

Idk yet but probably in Japan (where I’m at) the price will be almost identical. That makes the live seem a better buy. But yeah, waiting for more solid info honestly

MPC Live. Been waiting for it for years.

To the person who said it seems like an “ipad attached to a controller” or whatever - that’s exactly like saying the Digitakt is an “OLED screen attached to a controller”.

5 Likes

Mpc first, then I’ll pick up Digitakt a few months later on CL for 200 bucks.

2 Likes

Neither I’m happy with AR, mono and ableton
Ableton is just so much easier to use than an mac or fir that matter an OT.
The dt engine overlaps with the AR.

Owning an OT and AK already, for me the MPC looks like it’ll give me waaaay more ‘new’ than just grabbing ANOTHER Elektron sequencer for the sake of it… There’s possibly a reason why a lot of the user music on this forum sounds very similar to each other :wink:

Looking forward to thinking slightly differently/linear again/seeing what’s possible with both styles of sequencers in the same setup :wink:

2 Likes

Update results so far:

Digitakt 7

MPC 13

Both 1

What’s so special about MPC Live? I have tried to look but haven’t understood the hype yet. Why would I want to use it instead of a laptop/ipad with DAW and a controller?

Biggest reason for me is the portability and no latency issues.

1 Like

If you’re asking that question, then you should probably stick with your computer. This is for people who want to work and/or play live away from their computers. I have used an MPC1000 for 10 years to write, arrange and perform music. It works great, but I’ve been waiting for something that does the same thing, but with a quicker workflow. In steps the MPC Live. It does absolutely nothing that a computer, an audio interface, a MIDI interface and a controller will not do, it just does them in one box that is purpose built only for creating music.

2 Likes

I was that person. You got a point. I’m getting the Digitakt, but will hold back on my MPC Live analogies. I just don’t know enough about it to make the kind of statement that I did. I realise my ignorance upset people here, and for that, I apologise and will keep an open and curious mind in regards to the Live.

4 Likes

I dont think its comparable… they are totally different…

But if you have money for only one of those boxes I chose Digitakt.
The reason for that is that I allready own a Toraiz, MPC would be overkill for me. Also the Digitakt attracts me more… probability, hands on , for me more creative and I am an Elektron addict, love the workflow on these boxes.

off course the main reason to go for mpc live…

it has an undo button!!!

by the way, slowly I am drifting away from techno. make music with my guitar, piano, voice and electronic instruments… mpc fits better in this, I think… but maybe not. At least it has stereo sampling… my mic is stereo, my audio recorder is stereo…

1 Like

An MPC can be a step sequencer (like an Elektron) or it can be linear, meaning your sequence, or loop - can be 999 measures long, rather than just 4. This is one of many reasons why these are not really comparable products. If you are more into linear song-writing rather than pattern-based songwriting, an MPC is the way to go.

they’re totally comparable. they’re different, but comparable.