Digitakt v MPC Live: real buyers survey (UK£)

Ah weird, here for preorders it’s USD 649 for digitakt and USD 1199 for live

EU prices with VAT:

MPC Live 999 €
Digitakt 769 €
Digitakt + OB premium 838 € ? Not sure about that.

The point was to show that Live is not DAW in a box and compare how limited the sampler is from my point of view.

The elektron experience is unique. I’m sure that this box will be a lot of fun to play with. I just wanted a little more bang for the buck. I’m sure that a lot of people will enjoy Digitakt. For me it still lacks basic drum sampler features.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve seen those figures around elsewhere too, dunno what’s going on there :confused: Confusing for comparison when a bunch of people can consider them in same price bracket whereas elsewhere they’re pretty split…

Maybe those dollar prices are mpc live = vat added and digitakt = vat not added yet??

MPC live for me. I’ve loved the MPC workflow ever since I bought my first MPC some years ago. But I will be buying it mostly for the sequencer, as that is how I’ve always used all my MPCs, as dope MIDI sequencers. IMO the NuKai-era MPCs don’t sound that good as samplers to bother with but YMMV.

Maybe grab a digitakt second hand later on, dunno, still on the fence about it as I already have a rytm and an octatrack. I would like individual pgm chng + CC mappings per pattern and trig conditions (+fill mode!), but I’ll need to see more of the DT to become convinced atm.

1 Like

Depending on the final specs, I may downgrade my OT to the DT

100% for the Digitakt!
Cause I like the :3lektron: sequencer that much.
Sequencing my favorite Ruismaker apps
Planning to buy a Norddrum 3P as well, later on.
Together with the Digitakt the perfect DigiDrumSynthSamplerCombo.

To me the Digitakt seems more fun to play with.
Less distractions like the MPC Live, because all of its features.

I already own the OT and AR, so the only reason to buy an MPC Live is for it’s standalone recording features, for which I prefer to use Beatmaker 3.

I expect better and more interesting OS updates during the lifestage of the DT compared to the MPC Live.

Finally it’s impossible to compare these 2, it’s more about what you prefer:
Digitakt = attractive, inspiring groovy instrument, can’t do it all but it’s not intended to do so.
MPC live = everything in the box, allrounder

1 Like

Neither for the time being.

1 Like

I think Elektron made a mistake by marketing Digitakt as a drum computer and sampler. The moment you say something is a sampler, the moment everyone comes out of the woodwork to complain about missing sampler functionality that is really intended for assembling phrases, melodic material, and arrangement of sliced loops. IT’S A DRUM MACHINE. A DRUM. MACHINE.

Just buy your ugly Akais already so we can close these threads.

Funny watching us all try to persuade each other what each of us need/justify our opinions and try to quantify the extent of creative depth each box potentially has. Gonna be down to the each user to bring out best in the boxes. Not the other way round…

Anyone thinking the mpc doesn’t have killer mode/workflow options that’ll equal p-locks etc has maybe been slightly brainwashed by past akai hate/p-lock praise etc… Look at Op1, thats as inspiring/crazy for me as my OT… Not a p-lock in sight. Ton of overflow between Op1 and mpc in terms of potential ways of using it, and then a ton more on top…

Think people possibly a little blinded by dislike of big screens or unnecessarily seeing it as a competition thing between mpc and Elektron and feeling like they have to root for their team…

Either way, OT vs MPC is a much fairer fight :wink:

3 Likes

Digitakt $ price will almost certainly be minus sales tax - so factor in depending on what state you hail from.

Anyway, for me, it’s MPC Live all day. I jsut don’t really get Digitakt. It’s in the same bracket as a second hand OT which, conditional trigs aside, trumps Digitakt in every way (to me)! And it doesn’t look like it would be fun as an instrument in any way to me either. My problem at the moment with Live is that I’ve tried iMPC (which looks worryingly similar) and I thought it was pretty shitty.

So I need to see some more demos and, ideally, user vids before making my mind up 100%. I do get really excited about the thought of working in 2.0 within Ableton then to bounce down the project and take to a mates house on Live. Or just loading it with drum one shots and other bits and going off to the couch for a session.

3 Likes

Topic title updated to clarify purchase comparison in U.K. Pounds which may or may not represent a good deal converting from USD and other currencies. Also £ is pretty close to Euro currently.

1. None.
  2. I have more then enough to make music. That being said I like the smaller form factor of DT and I don’t care it’s mono and I don’t care about OB … and we still don’t know it’s full specs.

What makes an I pad not an instrument ?!

DT will have an OS just the same and Neither will prevent one creating music, if music is what one wants to create.

1 Like

Guys please try to stay on topic and take the feature function debates outside or to the relevant threads :slight_smile:

Features are unclear, workflow is unclear…

2 Likes

I’ll try Both and maybe keep neither : )

1 Like

fwiw all MPC-branded iOS software is developed by retronyms, not Akai. And tbh they all suck terribly and should not be compared too closely to a real MPC. They don’t even sequence MIDI for ffs lol

2 Likes

what I like about live is the extra inputs and outputs I can use without using a computer
so i can run my Heat as parallel fx to the mpc and resample through it…

so I think I can create these analog sound… tried with maschine (and a computer), works well…

might be possible with Digitakt and phones output…

1 Like

Result so far:

Digitakt 5
MPC Live 10
Both 1