Digitakt Unofficial Guide

Gino can you elaborate on this a bit more I’d like to understand how you use conditionals in the chain?

Sure.

It requires OB because the DT VST is what allows CH 16 to change patterns.

I have my DT set up so that it can send midi to itself through OB. It’s like the loopback trick, but done with software.

That’s the key requirement as you have to have the ability to set a midi track on the DT to CH 16, and have the DT “hear” it. Once you have that, it’s as easy as setting a trig to 8:8 or 4:4 in that midi track.

I’m on my phone, but when I’m on my PC I’ll add better details.

Edit: Adding some details. Let me know if this helps.

Here is a simple performance I made tonight. It plays pattern A01-8 times, then A02-2 times, then A03-8 times and loops (it goes back to A01 so the logic starts over). As phaelam mentioned you can use logic like 50%, 75% etc. if you want to have variation in which patterns play.

This is saved with the project, and its also easy to mute the CH16 midi track to stop it from changing patterns.

All I did was put a note on CH 16 like this:

I did the same thing for the other 2 patterns using C0 and D0 with 2:2 and 8:8 conditions.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Gino

2 Likes

This trick is gone with OS 1.11 isn´t?

after doing some digitakt usb sampling (say from digitakt to clouds to digitakt) some things i noticed last night that in VCV rack and overbridge -

I don’t know if this has be covered before, but anyways:

1. when pressing function plus yes and play a captured sample in recorder mode, you can use overbridge to change parameters like the recorder sample window was an actual existing track.

2)in recorder mode, when overbridge changes the sample reduction or tuning on track one, with no sample loaded, its only a temporary thing. in the recorder window, function yes play, the change lasts for a couple of seconds.

1. control the digitakt play back sample knob with an lfo at high rates will allow you to reverse the sample play back window and get random chops and other weird stuff. The ram sample can also bidirectionally loop!! just keep pressing and holding function yes.
    Be careful pushing the limits, because you might get a weird digitak error and OS system will freeze. DO this at your own risk!

2. lfos from vcv rack can trigger and twist any knob in ram/recorder sample page
    you have to be on a track that is linked to the recorder window - say track one, for example midi cc the tuning triggered by a VCV LFO. again, the system can freeze - so do this at your own risk.

3. given each track is linked to the ram/recorder window and the parameters can be controlled (even reverb), I assume the sample buffer is ready there to go and linked somehow. I just need to find out a way to trig it and get some MDUW ram sampling action. Anyone have any ideas?

4. ATM: its pretty easy to just save and link the ram record to the track which is controlling the ram window. just save and load to that track. and bam, with one trig on the first step, the sample then will play with the different knobs flying around from your LFO’ed midi ccs.

5. VCV track is fantastic for usb recording, sampling, resampling and using OB. All digitak OB parameters can be controlled by vcv randoms, lfos, sequencers. Even from the digitakt midi sequencer.

5 Likes

I’ve been trying to figure out exactly this. Thank you!

General sampling tip. I imported a too-quiet sample via Transfer, and resamples it so the Digitakt would normalize the sample to a workable volume.

This brought up the noise, too. It’s a bass piano note, with a lot of hiss. I used a low-pass filter to remove the hiss. If I need the filter again, I’ll just resample it again.

4 Likes

Hi all!
I’m new here,also new to the Digitakt and I read all the thread multible times so far,learning so much as I go.
Amazing community I must say.
Amazing machine as well.
I hope I don’t bring old news to the party,as I haven’t seen it posted somewhere else.

If you press and hold the coresponding button(trg,src,filter,amp,lfo) it reveals the values you currently have inserted.

Something that you aren’t able to see normally when you scan a sample on the src screen for example.

6 Likes

USB midi to DIN midi convertor:

Just realized that DT can be used as a USB to DIN convertor. For example, in the midi config - channels page, set Track E channel to channel 11. That’s the channel to send data down from the USB. Then set Track E channel to 14. That’s the channel to send out the DT’s DIN connector.

HTH

6 Likes

@Electromatic
Can you elaborate on this, not sure what it serves.
Thanks in advance,
V

Yes, I can use Pure Data to send midi notes out of the computer on the USB cable and pass those notes through the DT and into a 0-coast. The 0-coast only uses a midi DIN connector. It does not have a USB connection. The computer only has a USB connection.

1 Like

Was asking simply because I have issues with DT+MicroFreak: cannot send MIDI via DIN neither via USB…
Thanks again for getting back :slight_smile:
Much appreciated.

1 Like

I got this idea from this thread, but I found a great workflow for copying kits without overwriting the sequence of the pattern you are copying to. I write a lot of tracks with the same kits and different patterns, and keeping them in sync was a pain until I learned this.

To copy the kit from Pattern X to Pattern Y, but keep the sequence data from Pattern Y:

• First, copy Pattern X with [FUNC] + [REC]
  • Second, switch to Pattern Y and paste with [FUNC] + [STOP]
  • Third, go to the pattern menu and do Save -> Save Kit Data
  • Fourth, after saving the kit data, press [FUNC] + [NO]

You should have exactly the same kit in Pattern X and Y, but the sequence data from Y should be the same as before

24 Likes

Is there a way to clear ALL and ONLY the parameter locks?

i kinda felt like this should be in here

5 Likes

Clear the trig on that step and then set it again.

Amazing tips in this thread > boy, am I gonna have fun with these techniques. :grinning:

I feel like I should devise some low key ninja hack of my own to contribute - I’ll let you know when I do. :sunglasses:

It doesn’t clear all the parameter for all trigs but TRIG+CLEAR on Note trig does clear all the locks for that trig.
This plus removing all lock trigs and you’re done.
Would be nice to have something like this for the entire track but hey!

1 Like

RESET PARAMETERS
Press DATA ENTRY knob + [NO] to reset the parameter to the default value. [PARAMETER] key + [PLAY] to reset all the parameters in the selected parameter page to
default values.

During live recording pressing the data entry knob plus no to clear parameter locks across the whole pattern.

3 Likes

Yes but if multiple parameters have been automated one would have to knob+[NO] all the locked parameter across all the trigs which might be a very long procedure and definitely not viable for live performance.

I don’t read all the thread so I don’t know if it already said but here is the trick I use to add VST plugins to the Digitakt (on windows)
I use VSTHost, a free vst host program. In VSTHost, I set audio interface input to the DT and output to the DT (need Overbridge ofc)
I add my plugins and then in the DT, I go to setting - system - USB config and set INT to main to no.
Then go to sampling and choose USB L+R.
Play your loop and you will hear (with a little latency) the processed sound by VST. Resample and set back your int to main to Yes.
I use it to add EQ, comp or 12 bits grit to my drums. It’s lossless because there is no AD/DA conversion.

5 Likes