Digitakt Unofficial Guide

Direct pattern change workaround!?
Ok this is very DIY but actually works with a little practice. Pattern 1 is playing and you have already prepared the switch to pattern 2. Before pattern 1 finishes you press the stop and play button like almost simultaniously - but the stop button one milisecond before (two fingers)… and you have made a direct pattern change. :wink:

5 Likes

Yes I hav plans to do something like this in Pure Data, once I get the Digitakt.

In Pure Data I will set up a command that:

1. Stops playback.
  2. Changes to a new pattern.
  3. Starts playback again.

This will happen within a few samples.

No one will ever notices :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I made this one that works in Ableton Live
http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device/5136/digichain

5 Likes

For my NordDrum2 I’d need to send LSB/MSB CC values for “Echo BPM” and “Tone Pitch”. Is this possible from the Digitakt? (I think the answer is “no”…)

Man this thread. I still can’t believe how much more open and awesome this community is compared to the Roland and Akai community. Keep em comin!

6 Likes

try this thread

RECORD IN CHAIN MODE-
For those who want to record sequences longer than 64 steps.

Using chain mode you can create a chain using all 16 patterns in a given bank, once you have chained the patterns in the order and number of patterns you want together you can play it back in one of the two record mode’s, either live or stepped record mode and thereby record a single sequence to run up to 1024 total steps.

I’m new to Elektron workflow so I just put this out as a time saver for those with the early questions who don’t know or have all the time in the world to explore what’s not covered in the manual. I’ve had this for a few month’s but I just haven’t really gotten into everything I’m interested in using for lack of time. And this question nagged me since I like performing rather than looping/sequencing per step.

10 Likes

i like to apply that technique but setting the LFO on my hat track to filter depth, and i actually use sine or tri, i find it sounds like a kind of “rising and falling” change in velocity when dialed in correctly.

I think it only works if you set up straight pattterns , once conditional trigs and polyrythms come into it you end up recording over the same steps, some patterns take several loops before the master change is reached.

Yes, It’s in the manual

1 Like

Thanks, I just found it. Should have checked more thoroughly before I posted. :slight_smile:

IUm, I would say if you’ve already started developing a track using that approach with shorter loops, i.e. 16-64 steps and your composing that way then yeah it would probably just confuse what you already have put together.

This is my 1st elektron instrument and I am used to a traditional linear recording approach/workflow. I know my tip is kind of a ‘no-brainer’ if your familar w/elektron devices but I’ve had mine for about 7 months and just finally got around to exploring chain mode and the manual doesn’t state much on what all you can do with it.

So I thought it was a good enough blurb for other newbies who may have the same question as someone who is new to the vast ‘modular-esque’ options in approach to workflow that the Digitakt offers.

Well, now that you have me thinking about this, you actually can record even with (for lack of a better term) a ‘deep pattern’ in your chain.

Just have a pattern you can play 1st in the chain so when you add your ‘deep pattern’ you just tap the corresponding trig for that pattern however many times you need it to loop to complete it’s full playback and then select whatever patterns you want to chain after it. Just remember when you record, that when that looped pattern starts to play, only input what you want to add in ‘live’ once, so you aren’t adding trigs on top of the looped pattern during that playback of the chain.

2 Likes

I didnt say it wasnt usefull just that it gets too complicated if you are using the sequencers feature set, if I were starting from scratch with an idea that required 256 steps of constant recording I would use it. Polyrythms and conditional trigs are pretty standard workflow with the Digitakt though and if you have tracks that require different numbers of repetitions to complete their cycle the point at which they come together for a master change is generally more than the screen can show, and thats before you add any other patterns to the list. Digitakt is a performance piece imo and chain mode never really sat with the intended workflow.

1 Like

Just want to let people know that I tried it out and DT does not react fast enough to do it within a few samples.

I had to delay the change around 10-20 ms or else it didnt work, which made like a small gap.

Anyway, I sold my Digitakt as I actually didnt want a sampler. I found out, hehe :slight_smile:

Instead I am hoping to get an Analog Rytm over this weekend, which does change pattern instantly. Crossing my fingers that it is a fully functioning AR that I am going to try out tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cross posting this as I think it could be an important technique. I don’t feel it was clear in current documentation for DT and OB.

In a nutshell you can send notes to the VST on midi channel 16 to change patterns.
It’s starts at C0=A01, C#0=A02, D0=A03, etc.

The cool part is that you can use conditional trigs!

For example, in pattern A01 you use C#0 with a 8:8 condition to have it play it 8 times then go to A02.

I haven’t messed with other conditional logic, but Fill works nice to manually trigger a chain of pattern changes.

Best regards,

Gino

2 Likes

Im unsure if this is in the guide, i didnt see it.

You can randomise parameters, by holding down the desired parameter, say AMP. Hold AMP and press YES. This will randomise the parameter values, which can be a fun way to push your sounds in another direction.

You can do this for the ‘hidden parameters’, hold FUNC and then say Delay, Reverb or Master then YES.

6 Likes

Gino can you elaborate on this a bit more I’d like to understand how you use conditionals in the chain?

Sure.

It requires OB because the DT VST is what allows CH 16 to change patterns.

I have my DT set up so that it can send midi to itself through OB. It’s like the loopback trick, but done with software.

That’s the key requirement as you have to have the ability to set a midi track on the DT to CH 16, and have the DT “hear” it. Once you have that, it’s as easy as setting a trig to 8:8 or 4:4 in that midi track.

I’m on my phone, but when I’m on my PC I’ll add better details.

Edit: Adding some details. Let me know if this helps.

Here is a simple performance I made tonight. It plays pattern A01-8 times, then A02-2 times, then A03-8 times and loops (it goes back to A01 so the logic starts over). As phaelam mentioned you can use logic like 50%, 75% etc. if you want to have variation in which patterns play.

This is saved with the project, and its also easy to mute the CH16 midi track to stop it from changing patterns.

All I did was put a note on CH 16 like this:

I did the same thing for the other 2 patterns using C0 and D0 with 2:2 and 8:8 conditions.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Gino

2 Likes

This trick is gone with OS 1.11 isn´t?

after doing some digitakt usb sampling (say from digitakt to clouds to digitakt) some things i noticed last night that in VCV rack and overbridge -

I don’t know if this has be covered before, but anyways:

1. when pressing function plus yes and play a captured sample in recorder mode, you can use overbridge to change parameters like the recorder sample window was an actual existing track.

2)in recorder mode, when overbridge changes the sample reduction or tuning on track one, with no sample loaded, its only a temporary thing. in the recorder window, function yes play, the change lasts for a couple of seconds.

1. control the digitakt play back sample knob with an lfo at high rates will allow you to reverse the sample play back window and get random chops and other weird stuff. The ram sample can also bidirectionally loop!! just keep pressing and holding function yes.
    Be careful pushing the limits, because you might get a weird digitak error and OS system will freeze. DO this at your own risk!

2. lfos from vcv rack can trigger and twist any knob in ram/recorder sample page
    you have to be on a track that is linked to the recorder window - say track one, for example midi cc the tuning triggered by a VCV LFO. again, the system can freeze - so do this at your own risk.

3. given each track is linked to the ram/recorder window and the parameters can be controlled (even reverb), I assume the sample buffer is ready there to go and linked somehow. I just need to find out a way to trig it and get some MDUW ram sampling action. Anyone have any ideas?

4. ATM: its pretty easy to just save and link the ram record to the track which is controlling the ram window. just save and load to that track. and bam, with one trig on the first step, the sample then will play with the different knobs flying around from your LFO’ed midi ccs.

5. VCV track is fantastic for usb recording, sampling, resampling and using OB. All digitak OB parameters can be controlled by vcv randoms, lfos, sequencers. Even from the digitakt midi sequencer.

5 Likes