Digitakt - Remove unused samples from project?

I am building an entire live set on the Digitakt. So eight banks of patterns. I have a habit of loading in a bunch of samples that interest me and then only using a few. So a delete all unused samples option would be super useful as I will hit the sample limit soon enough on my current live set.

2 Likes

Awesome! Excellent :slight_smile: That seems like a great solution

1 Like

Because the Digitakt is cheaper and an awesome little machine on its own…

What’s the main advantage of using the Octatrack over the Digitakt for a live set?

Sample Space, Scenes (Crossfader), Effects, Parts, Full Stereo Operation, Parameter Slides, 3 LFOs per Track … the list goes on :wink:

No offence, the Digitakt is awesome! But using it for a Live Set is probably more work than it should be. Just my 2 cents.

You are underestimating how workflows can differ from person to person. The way you work might not work too well in digitakt. For me, it works perfect. But I create everything in digitakt. I’m not importing tracks I created in a DAW into digitakt (yet). And if I would, I would not literally re-create the track as a whole into Digitakt but just re-create the feel/groove.

It also depends on what kind of music you create I guess. I create 1 groove inside the DT on 1 pattern, and build that into a track live, on the spot. I might use a second pattern for a break, and a third as a variation, but that’s it. That’s why I only need 1 project for a complete live set. I work hard live ;). I use 2 digitakts to be able to mix grooves into eachother.

Only a OT won’t work for what I want to do live. I’ll probably end up exchanging one digitakt for on OT down the line though, because the sample mangling is way more impressive and interesting indeed.

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback… Hmm yes it would be cool to be able to play extended parts of my older tracks augmented with other live equipment - all without a computer! I might look at getting one in the future… But $$ permits it for now :slight_smile:

That sounds like an awesome setup! Being able to mix between two DTs!

1 Like

This sounds like a really fun setup. I’m using Digitakt and Analog 4 going into an A&H DB2. The Digitakt also sequences a Microkorg. I find this setup really fast to put ideas together and the DB2 looper effect very useful for mixing between patterns.
I still have a lot of work to do in preparing a sound I am happy with but I agree with you that the Elektron + A&H combination is really amazing :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would be interested in hearing some of your live stuff if you have anything recorded?

Thanks!
Yeah the A&H db2/db4 are very interesting mixers and to me perfect for live. I’m completely in love with the DB4 and the amount of filters I can use, fx, and the input matrix which lets me put multi fx on a single channel on the fly etc. It’s complex enough to be able to go many directions, though still focused enough to not get lost.

I have nothing recorded yet with this setup. I’m working on finalizing most of the grooves now. Think the setup will be ready within a month. As soon as I have a recording I’ll post it here on Elektronauts for sure!

Do you have any recordings?

Ah I hadn’t thought about the input matrix but will need to investigate. On the DB2 it just has 2 FX channels but it’s still really flexible in that you can assign each channel to one or the other. You can also chain FX1 into FX2 but this is also something I haven’t tried.
I mostly use the looper function and am finding the reverb effects really nice for adding a bit more character to the Microkorg.
I recorded my first attempt at an extended set the other day:

Studio Cee Live Jam

I have a bit of work to do tightening up transitions and getting better sounds on the go but it’s a lot of fun. I have found the Digitakt a real eye opener for my other gear. There are features on it that also exist on the A4 but I hadn’t realised until I tried them on the Digitakt.
The MIDI sequencing has also given a new lease of life to my Microkorg (playing a sequence from the Digitakt and then using the arpeggiator on the Microkorg gives some interesting results!)

I look forward to hearing some recordings from your set :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks and sounds cool! :slight_smile:

can I display all unused samples in the current project so I can remove them from pool?

free up more space and load up new samples?

No

really? damn

a4 has this option and ot purge too iirc

There is a workaround that allows you to remove unloaded samples from your recording folder. You have to unload all the unused samples from the project. You also have to be sure not to share recording folder with another project.

Hi,

Did Elekron ever come back to the community on this? This feature would be so frikkin useful. There’s a couple of RAM management functions that would make starting a new project much less painful - the housekeeping process is a massive drag to lose unused samples and get RAM tidied up before importing and loading new sounds.

Thanks!
Gordon

2 Likes

Nope

Somehow this popped up in my list - and I realized I never responded to it:

Yes, now this is possible via the software elk-herd: It can download a project, show you all the patterns, and the sample and sound pools… and it will let you find, and delete if you want, the unused sample and sound pool items.

Details here: Elk-herd 3.0 beta: Project Import at last!

I’m still waiting for +Drive APIs so I can find all the unused samples and sounds across all projects on the +Drive… but for now this will help you clean up individual projects so that you have space in the limited 127 entry sample and sound pools.

6 Likes

mzero = hero

3 Likes