Digitakt Project Manager - early Alpha

It’s a bit early because the DT still doesn’t have data import/export… But, I’ve started building a web-based DT Project Manager:
(keep reading past the image if you want to try it out)

What it Will Do

* Load & Save projects from the Digitakt * Reorder patterns and samples, keeping references in sync. * Import patterns and related samples from projects, allowing you to merge parts of projects together * Save & Load projects to local files on your computer * Runs in a web page - no installation needed, should work on: OS X, Windows, Linux, iOS, & Android

What is Alpha

* Since there is no DT import/export yet, the DT is simulated by local storage * Only known to work in Chrome on a computer. Should work w/Safari and Firefox... but not tested. * Tablets & Screen Readers not yet supported, but will be. * There is lot to improve in the UI - In particular, won't work well on smaller screens. * Several clearly missing features such as rename pattern and remove unused samples * No +Drive sample browser * Many known small bugs (loading a file twice, selection oddities, etc...)

Future of the Project

* Waiting for a DT OS release that has project & data import/export over SysEx (so I can use WebMIDI), and the data format details. *C'mon, Elektron! We know you can!* * Filling out the feature set - esp. w/respect to +Drive. * The app will be free to use.

Ready to Play with It?

crunch/digitakt-project-manager

Be gentle, it’s only 0.5 0.6.
I’d love to hear your feedback, and what it needs to make it useful for you.
It is a bit early for bug reports - probably more productive to wait for version 0.8.

46 Likes

Nice work

Very cool indeed!

This is great! I’ve only got access to a tablet right now, will check out later. I was actually thinking earlier today, when updating the Digitakt, about how the digi devs would go about the very things you have listed. Managing patterns & samples while keeping the references updated/synced. As well as a flexible way to import/export/merge projects and patterns without worrying too much about the samples. Also, having access to this means you’re not dependant on any proprietary apps and whatnot, just fire up a browser. Awesome work:-)

Edit: At least some of it works on Android Firefox. Selecting a pattern and get the used samples highlighted = pure sci-fi stuff! Lovely:-)

wow

overlooked this at first. lol

a Big wish of mine would be to be able to collect all samples of one project,
and having it stored automatically in a new folder (+drive) with the same name as the project.
further then the sample slots been related to that sample folder.
Metafolder: “collected”

As a option for a more ergonomic handling of the +drive, also:
collecting all used samples of all projects to just one folder. in one go.
add later sample collecting also added to this folder ( choosable)

would be supercool !

All very cool anyway !

looks interesting , always good to have alternatives even with overbridge coming or when its released… without the need for ableton etc.

bulk rename , remove unused , re order , duplicate are all good / easy to do things on computers and larger screens.
ive been loading up my digitakt for weeks and have no idea how much space is left or what samples ive used … going to be tricky when i have to start clearing space .

would be nice to compile a project and move everything into a single folder , isolate it from everything else , even if it duplicates a few samples and things… same as above comment … (just re read the thread with brain engaged)…

Cool. Is the sysex dumps in some standard format or did you manage to reverse engineer that badboy?

kick arse bruv

its not functional , its emulating the layout / structure from what i saw.

What did you see?

So - be totally clear:

Digitakt doesn’t yet support any data import/export. So I built this based on the structure of project data on the Digitakt.

The alpha uses web local storage to take the place of the Digitakt, and I hand built a test data set based on the factory sample project

The save and load from files uses a JSON based format that I developed to match the structure. I could keep that (as it is more useful for other tools others might want to write), or use the SysEx dump format, or support both.

When Elektron releases an OS for Digitakt that supports project data dump / load via SysEx (assuming they do), and they either publish the data format or I reverse engineer it… THEN I can make this software interact with your actual Digitakt (thanks to modern browsers and the Web MIDI API).

4 Likes

Judging from the Overbridge 1.5 manual, I don’t think there is much overlap between it and my software:

• Overbridge: audio over USB, integration w/DAWs, VST control over sound parameters
  • crunch/digitakt-project-manager: backup and restore of projects, management of project contents, manage sample usage, naming and reorganization
2 Likes

even better :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks so much for this. free sharing of tools & knowledge makes this community great.

2 Likes

DIGITAKT DEVS:

Give this man what he needs to make this happen. Right now! Don’t make me turn this car around…

7 Likes

That is what Digitakt users need.

An easy way to organize the +Drive would be great.

Update:

We’re still waiting for an OS release that has support for project data transfer. In the mean time, I’ve built all the machinery for interacting with the Digitakt directly from the web page: It works great, and I can generate and decode the few messages that DT does currently implement (in 1.04). As soon as we have the OS support, I’ll be able to make this functional, right from the web site!

Meanwhile, I’ve tweaked a bunch of other stuff and put out 0.6:

• Tweaks to HTML, including support for screen readers
  • Added some tool tips
  • Improved undo/redo functionality
  • MIDI port chooser… This connects to the DT, but I’ve disabled the actually MIDI message sending until we have an OS release that supports transfer.

Still at: crunch/digitakt-project-manager
may need to reload to get the new CSS

8 Likes

looking good.
not sure what the difference is between import from and load from digitakt.
theres so much this could do (in theory) once they open up the os , likely when overbridge comes out.

support like this, as seen with the editor for novation circuit , is a massive win in terms of customer loyalty , i hope elektron open this up a little.

Load loads a project into the main display.
Import lets you pick a project, then pick selected patterns from that project to merge into the main display (pulling in any additional required samples into the loaded sample list).

Import is why I wrote this! I mess around in scratch projects and then I realize I want to pull just one or to patterns into my live performance project. Doing that on the device today is pretty painful!

1 Like

Maybe get with @void. He’s the master of Strom for the AR and is in the process of developing something really amazing for digitakt and iOS. Maybe a collaboration between y’all? I dunno. But at any rate, go check out what he’s working on.

Edit: I am by no means taking any thunder from you, this is a really awesome way to manage the digitakt. I’m just suggesting that maybe you two can get together and possibly come up with something really awesomous!

2 Likes