Digitakt - Remove unused samples from project?

Hi guys,

Maybe I’m missing something obvious… But how do I remove unused samples from a project on the Digitakt?

I’m fairly sure there’s no ‘Remove all unused samples from project’ option (which would be awesome btw)… Nor are there any markers to say what samples are in use…

Is there maybe a way to lock samples so that removing samples won’t accidentally remove one in use?

It seems like a pretty important feature to me… How else can you keep track of 127 samples?

4 Likes

Outside of that I am LOVING the DT. What an amazing machine!!!

As soon as Elektron releases an OS w/SysEx messages to download a project… I’ll release the Digitakt Project Manager which will let you see what is used and unused in a project.

Until then… there’s no good way as far as I know.

13 Likes

you can see which Samples are loaded to which Slots of the Project in the Sample Manager. And from there you can also Unload these Samples from the Project if you dont need them anymore. But theres no Option to check where these Samples are used (Track/Soundlock). And you cannot write-protect your own Samples right now. So you have to keep track of the Samples you are using for now …

Im curious why you want such option though. Even in the most complex Tracks i did with the Digitakt i never hit the RAM Limit yet. And i’ve used a lot of Samples / Loops which are more than 20 seconds long!

1 Like

I have a single project with 16+ grooves for a liveset, each using a set of mostly unique samples over 1-4 patterns. Eventhough I carefully select my samples, every now and then a sample will be unused. As I add more grooves I’d love to be able to clean things up if needed.

If you’re programming a single song per project, then this won’t be much of an issue I guess :wink:

1 Like

Why are you using the Digitakt for a Liveset? ^^ Use the Octatrack! Its made for that purpose!

Digitakt works really great too :slight_smile:
Well to be clear: I use two digitakts and an A&H db4 ;). It’s an amazing setup so far and almost ready to gig with it.

However, ever since I’m in love with the digitakt, the OT has been gaining my attention more and more. Already decided I’m going to wait to see how they further develop the OT now mkii is about to drop, and then I’ll see if I exchange one digitakt for an OT mkii. It might happen :slight_smile:

1 Like

this might be something to think about wishing for a remove unused feature

the easy ones.
dont remove samples used on a track…
and
dont use samples that are plocked onto a step.
dont remove any that are locked ( i cant remember if i can lock a sample into a project/track… will have a look later)

and possibly.
dont remove samples that are within the lfo range if using it on sample slot.

i hope its very doable , based on the simple rules of not used on any step / SCR sample slot on any track.
the LFO thing is very edge case.

2 Likes

I am building an entire live set on the Digitakt. So eight banks of patterns. I have a habit of loading in a bunch of samples that interest me and then only using a few. So a delete all unused samples option would be super useful as I will hit the sample limit soon enough on my current live set.

2 Likes

Awesome! Excellent :slight_smile: That seems like a great solution

1 Like

Because the Digitakt is cheaper and an awesome little machine on its own…

What’s the main advantage of using the Octatrack over the Digitakt for a live set?

Sample Space, Scenes (Crossfader), Effects, Parts, Full Stereo Operation, Parameter Slides, 3 LFOs per Track … the list goes on :wink:

No offence, the Digitakt is awesome! But using it for a Live Set is probably more work than it should be. Just my 2 cents.

You are underestimating how workflows can differ from person to person. The way you work might not work too well in digitakt. For me, it works perfect. But I create everything in digitakt. I’m not importing tracks I created in a DAW into digitakt (yet). And if I would, I would not literally re-create the track as a whole into Digitakt but just re-create the feel/groove.

It also depends on what kind of music you create I guess. I create 1 groove inside the DT on 1 pattern, and build that into a track live, on the spot. I might use a second pattern for a break, and a third as a variation, but that’s it. That’s why I only need 1 project for a complete live set. I work hard live ;). I use 2 digitakts to be able to mix grooves into eachother.

Only a OT won’t work for what I want to do live. I’ll probably end up exchanging one digitakt for on OT down the line though, because the sample mangling is way more impressive and interesting indeed.

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback… Hmm yes it would be cool to be able to play extended parts of my older tracks augmented with other live equipment - all without a computer! I might look at getting one in the future… But $$ permits it for now :slight_smile:

That sounds like an awesome setup! Being able to mix between two DTs!

1 Like

This sounds like a really fun setup. I’m using Digitakt and Analog 4 going into an A&H DB2. The Digitakt also sequences a Microkorg. I find this setup really fast to put ideas together and the DB2 looper effect very useful for mixing between patterns.
I still have a lot of work to do in preparing a sound I am happy with but I agree with you that the Elektron + A&H combination is really amazing :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would be interested in hearing some of your live stuff if you have anything recorded?

Thanks!
Yeah the A&H db2/db4 are very interesting mixers and to me perfect for live. I’m completely in love with the DB4 and the amount of filters I can use, fx, and the input matrix which lets me put multi fx on a single channel on the fly etc. It’s complex enough to be able to go many directions, though still focused enough to not get lost.

I have nothing recorded yet with this setup. I’m working on finalizing most of the grooves now. Think the setup will be ready within a month. As soon as I have a recording I’ll post it here on Elektronauts for sure!

Do you have any recordings?

Ah I hadn’t thought about the input matrix but will need to investigate. On the DB2 it just has 2 FX channels but it’s still really flexible in that you can assign each channel to one or the other. You can also chain FX1 into FX2 but this is also something I haven’t tried.
I mostly use the looper function and am finding the reverb effects really nice for adding a bit more character to the Microkorg.
I recorded my first attempt at an extended set the other day:

Studio Cee Live Jam

I have a bit of work to do tightening up transitions and getting better sounds on the go but it’s a lot of fun. I have found the Digitakt a real eye opener for my other gear. There are features on it that also exist on the A4 but I hadn’t realised until I tried them on the Digitakt.
The MIDI sequencing has also given a new lease of life to my Microkorg (playing a sequence from the Digitakt and then using the arpeggiator on the Microkorg gives some interesting results!)

I look forward to hearing some recordings from your set :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks and sounds cool! :slight_smile: