Digitakt over MPC advice

All this talk and nobody has bothered to point out the biggest difference between DT & MPC: 8-voice polyphony on the DT, >64-voice poly on the MPC. DT has 8 audio tracks and 8 MIDI tracks, MPC has 64-128 tracks of either type, depending on the MPC model.

Another very crucial difference: a DT “pattern” can contain up to 64 discreet note events per track, MPC can contain an unlimited amount of note events per track, with “patterns” being up to 999 bars long.

Before you choose either of these, make sure you know the specs and what to expect. If you have mainly used FL for making beats, you might easily assume that everything has unlimited polyphony and patterns that can be of any lenght, well this doesn’t exist in hardware land. Just stating the obvious here in case you haven’t thought about the implications.

3 Likes

both have resampling so unlimited polyphony

@tsutek The MPC does have an 8 track limit in StandAlone mode!

You will have to connect it to a computer and use the MPC software to be able to use more tracks.

8 audio track limit, yes, but 128 tracks for MIDI and sampler programs.

DT doesn’t even have audio tracks, and has much less RAM (64MB) so they would be useless on it even if it had em.

I am not saying one is better than the other, just reminding that there are huge diffs in spec of both machines, and someone coming to this from ITB-world might be unpleasantly surprised to learn about those limits…

3 Likes

I get what you’re saying but honestly that is so far from the same thing. Sounds like a simple workaround but doing that for everything would be a massive pain if you’re the sort of person that needs that

L

1 Like

i get the tendency to compare specs and conclude the mpc is a far superior machine. It is, from that perspective. The problem with this way of looking at gear is that in the end, a laptop running a daw will always be the superior machine in this regard, as it has unlimited everything, and can be connected to anything.

The gear you use is not as good as its specs, it is far more important how inspiring it is, and the way it pushes you to make good music, especcialy if youre using an unlimited daw to finish your music anyway (like most people are nowadays). To me, the dt easily beats the mpc in this regard, but of course, this might be different for other people. Just saying: dont judge a machine on its functions. People still pay a lot of money for an acoustic piano, even though any €100 keyboard rompler has 1000 times more features.

4 Likes

yes but nobody living in a small apartment on the 13th floor of an apt building without an elevator buys an acoustic grand piano, no matter how sublime it sounds. certain specs impose on practicality, and unless true needs and realities are known…

2 Likes

A couple things to consider…

• The elektron sequencer is a beast unlike any other - sound locks, parameter locks, trig conditions and the lot.
  • The DT has some very cool, creative randomness built in, which leads to places, combinations of sounds you don’t see coming. And then they run over you, leaving you confused. Save often.
  • The OT is the best sampler/sound mangler on the planet. If you choose to open Pandora’s box, well, you can’t ever close it :evil:

The machines are all good and we’re lucky to have choices (and beer :beer:) and different choices of beers. There’s just so many delicious options. But, I digress. The person who is smiling the biggest while making music and drinking beer is the winner. Now my ears are thirsty. Good luck :elot:

1 Like

I’m glad it’s still going strong. :wink:

1 Like

it seem you have already take your decision…
any way its like in a apple forum, if you have a doubt between a apple product over the same product from another brand, at almost 99% someone will tell you to pick a apple product!
for almost the same price, i think the MPC One is a good maybe a better choice over the DT.
The MPC 2500 is a more than 10 year gear with no more support and maybe some things better than the MPC One but i think in general the MPC One is a better choice over the MPC2500 too!
If you like the DT you will do great things with it just like any other gear with some work

2 Likes

While I generally love the Elektron workflow, I didn’t take to the Digitakt much at all. Still prefer my old MPC1000 for sampling.

I tried upgrading to an MPC Live, which is more powerful in almost every regard but I ended up hating the touch screen interface. Working with it never flowed like it did with the 1000. It always felt like what it was - a slightly underpowered daw in a box, which is something I never feel about Elektrons or the 1000.

Although they’re getting on a bit, there’s good third-party support for the older MPCs too. I’ve replaced pads and tact buttons on mine and it’s still super-responsive. JJOS is a must to get the most out of the 1000 or 2500.

1 Like

I’m curious to see it an updated version of an MPC live is on the horizon. I want the 2 USB ports, Bluetooth, WiFi connection and the audio interface. And battery too! I ordered one in Jan, but then cancelled as it was backlogged until May. Kinda waiting to see what happens with manufacturing (assuming schedules have slipped a month or 2). I want it for sampling, ease of slicing, portability, chord and keys function, ease of file management and ability to integrate/export to Ableton. And of course all the other usual suspects for beat making. Very interested in a drum synth module. I’m not really into the One form factor, but that’s just personal taste as I prefer larger pads. I considered Digitakt for a long while, but prefer pads vs punching in sequence and file Mgmt is just so much easier with a touch screen. Again personal preference. I think both sound pretty awesome and the DTs sound manipulation is sweet.

1 Like

I’m switching my takt for a 2500 – going in loops on the takt… I hope it is the right decision. I think the linear structure suits me better. Time will tell :wink:

Edit: Okay got the MPC 2500 swoped it with my Digi. I loved the Digi fun and intuitive – I would have kept it if i could afford both. But so far I am happy with the switch - the MPC makes more sense to me… song mode, playability, the auto chop function… of cause a personal thing…

1 Like

imho… autosampler, freeze/flatten per pad, pad link, sample layering
are just 5 out of 50 reasons why the mpc one is a no brainer for the op and also the mpc one would make a great partner for a digitakt.

but for the ops needs in addition to the features I listed the sample time , sample variety mono/stereo, and sample editing prowess of the mpc one makes too much sense… it’s a no brainer.

Hi,
I am building a synth gear after playing with logic for 15 years.
I am willing to buy a digitone as a FM synth.
For the center of the setup, I am scared with the digitakt :
What is mostely important for me is to record on my computer each track I am playing easily (I build pop songs). And I am scared with this pair digitakt/digitone if I can easely record 12 tracks.
I am very interested with the mpc because of the 8 outputs. But, knowing nothing yet about sequencer/sampler, mpc look more complicated to program.

What do you think ?
I can find a 2500 for cheaper thant a digitakt.

Aaaaaaaa

thank you

For this alone I’d say the fact the 2500 has Midi Time Code is an advantage (some DAWs e.g. Cubase (I don’t know about Logic) don’t slave to Midi Clock, but do to MTC) - usually better sync than Midi Clock. The DT has Overbridge for multitracking into a DAW but the 8 tracks are mono only. The 2500 has digital outs (spdif) which can be very useful for multitracking. MPC stands for Music Production Center, while Digitakt is marketed as a drum machine and sampler. the DT has some features the MPC 2.5K hasn’t, or does them in a more sleek way, The MPC overall has far more features for making whole tracks, so there’s more to learn! Oh and midi file import on the MPC maybe very useful if your used to composing with Midi in Logic.

Thnks for your answer.
But do you think that the couple digitakt/digitone can be recorded via Overbridge? And have each tracks of each machine in the computer?

I don’t have either, but I’m pretty sure the answer is yes and yes.

1 Like

Yes and yes, all tracks separate if you wish.

1 Like

(mod edit, threads have been merged into one now :thup:)

You should learn a lot more about how the sequencers on both devices before committing to buying either. The sequencers have very different capabilities.

4 Likes