Digitakt over MPC advice

Ivar Triti is also sick (Not Corona sick, sick like - insanely awesome) - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_jlrzu9GMK_15BcTD1tJpg

2 Likes

Glad to help! You should also check out the ‘hiphop made on the digitakt’ thread, its full of awesome, and very different kinds of hiphop tracks by people from this forum. O and stereo sampling is overrated! :wink:

1 Like

Sweet, as a beginner i doubt i would even care that much so its deff not a deal breaker and yeah i would probably be making more simple stuff to start anyways and beef it up with effects and what not. You’ve been a great help thanks, id have to do some more research on not having a song mode but i can probably do without as i learn the unit

Hahaha i’ve been there and heard some dope stuff. This elektronauts forum is super helpful, and yea i should get by without stereo sampling im sure haha if they can i can

@danwade Yes I am subscribed to his channel. :wink:

Check this topic

Started in June 2017 and ppl still posting on it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Exactly!! I’ll hit record on my DAW hit play on my Elektron and perform my song live. I’ll make make sure the tempo is matched. I’ll do a few takes if need be. Keeping it simple works best for me.

I do the same, but even simpler. Hitting rec in the Digitakt standalone app and play live ^^

2 Likes

Has nobody talked about workflow yet?

Workflow on the MPC and on an Elektron device don’t compare much. Both can do similar things, but the way to achievement is quite different. It’s not better vs worse, it’s just different.

MPC is good at recording live playing on the soft pads, which are velocity sensitive and - depending on the model - sensitive for aftertouch as well.

Most Elektron devices like the DT are operated with push buttons like a XOX-box. IMO it’s more of a “programming” experience rather than to “play” a piece of music with fingers.

At the end it’s personal preference. I ended up having both, because there is strength in both concepts.

For going experimental I would definitly recommend the OT over the DT or the MPC.

hey thanks for the reply,

the velocity sensitive pads are definitely a key feature which I would encorporate. The more I think about it, I think I’m gonna choose the MPC 2500 first (craigslist so time sensitive) and then later on grab a digitakt mainly for the experimental sounds and fun later on. when you say you ended up having both which MPC and DT which MPC did you choose? I don’t know if I will look stupid not choosing the over feature packed, new tech MPC’s versus a 15 year old MPC 2500. I doubt I would use most features anyway and I’m not a fan of the touch screen, would rather scroll through a menu + I just feel more inspired looking at it.

From the research I’ve done, I like the two (different) workflows between the units. Would the MPC 2500 + DT be a strong combination or would I be better off with a MPC + Digitone since it’s a synth?

Octotrak would probably be too complex as this is my first hardware setup. But I absolutely them, so one day

I also want to sample records directly so both these machines are capable, but I’m guessing this is much easier on an MPC?

Awesome, sounds very simple. When it gets exported to the DAW I’m assuming each “sample” is placed in its own track allowing for further editing and mixing of each sample level??

sorry for the questions

If you need touch sensitive pads for finger drumming, you can just hook up an AKAI or Novation pad controller to the Digitakt via MIDI IN (though you need a special midi channel controller to play across different tracks at the same time).

The Digitakt has MIDI IN after all. So you can hook up any Midi controller you want.

It’s up to you to decide what you want in the end. If you like the MPC workflow better and want full blown finger drumming, just get the latest MPC One and be done with it. Don’t waste a ton of money on a old MPC 2500. :wink:

1 Like

hahaha you keep pulling me into the DT, yeah I recently saw a video using the touch sensitive pads on the DT definitely impressed me , especially using it with a keyboard (chromatic scale) which I already have. Its tough because the MPC is time sensitive + great condition, and I could always grab a DT whenever. But yea idk if I’m gonna regret getting the older system. Anyways I think I’ve just got to make my mind, grab one and start playing. thanks for your help

Just try out the Digitakt in the store first if you have the possibility.

yea I’ve tried the DN and loved it, will be going to test the DT soon

Since I started my Elektron adventure with the OT, I haven’t got the DT. I love the OT for it’s versatility and it’s performance features. Those scenes and the fader are great tools.

My MPC is actually a MPC 5000. It was the last flagship MPC before all those “controllers” came up. It’s on OS 2.0. I love to have the many knobs and faders, and those pads, of course. And it has it’s own VA synth, with 3 Osc and a couple of interesting filters.

Since all MPCs are more or less digital, the age shouldn’t be much of a problem compared to old vintage analogue gear.

If I was you and up to decide between a MPC 2500 and a ONE for nearly the same price, I would definitly get the ONE. What I miss on my old MPC is provided by the new machines. The workflow to cut, slice, arrange samples has dramatically improved and has become so easy and time saving. This alone let’s me consider to upgrade in the near future. And there is the connectivity as well.

If you plan to do work on the MPC and later continue on the computer, or the other way around, I would also recommend the new MPC line, because it was never so easy to get a stand alone MPC integrated with ITB projects.

BTW: the combination of MPC with DT or OT makes much sense.

I’ll definitely take the “newer” MPC advice into good consideration. The general ease + fx + computer capabilities would make life easier, but I don’t really like how DAW like the new MPC’s are. I feel like a lot of my beginning beats would be simple boom bap with some added synths. (I would also have JJOS)

How did you find the learning curve with the OT being it was your first elektron product?

And if you don’t mind could you explain why a MPC + DT is such a good combo (over the DN)? due to the sample mangling and sequencing of the DT ?

Don’t be fooled by the DAW integration fuzz. If you don’t like or need it, just ignore it. The original workflow has been improved significantly and it can be done old-school as well.

The OT was my first “groove box” at all and since I don’t hate manuals, I just laid it next to me and started my voyage in new territory. For me the learning curve was okay taking one simple step after the next, one machine after the other.

TBH … I didn’t know about this forum, when I started, and so didn’t read about complaints about that the OT was quite a challenge for some users :wink:

Honestly … I love this forum … it’s the most civilized and friendly communitiy online

Let’s first eliminate the DN from this equation. The DN is a great FM synth and very different compared to a sampler. It plays well together with other gear. Actually I have OT, AR, AK, and DN and all of them are a great combo, because each of them is special and doesn’t copy the others … well … audio wise :wink:

As I said, I have “only” the OT, but maybe to describe the MPC/OT combination may be of some help.

First workflow … see my post above.

Second sound processing, particularly, if we want to get experimental.
If you have heard about “Musique Concrete”, or “Tape Music” then the OT is a great tool to do , what has been done in the vanguarde, but with modern, much more powerfull and efficient workflow. The OT can mangle sound like no other and the combination of “machines” gives us many creative options.

There are plenty of FX in the modern MPC, but I don’t think, they are usable in the same way. My MPC 5K doesn’t at least. IMO a MPC is more about having many pads with samples and loops, play and record them live, create layer over layer, mute and unmute pads or tracks. And that’s definitely a strength of the MPC workflow. It’s just fun to be creative and beating those pads.

Just one example, which can not be copied by a MPC (AFAIK, of course).

External audio is live recorded by one of the OT buffers, automatically chopped to something we have defined in advance, each track can now use those chopped parts and mangle and arrange them as far as our creativity goes. It’s fantastic to listen to a “static” OT track working with such recordings and change the audio source, or, to keep the audio source and change the track parameters. Sounds to give endless possibilities? It does.

I would even go so far to say … if you have a sample pack and are going to create a beat on a MPC or an OT, the outcome would be quite different, if this makes any sense. So yes … the combination makes much sense.

And sorry for such a long post :smiley:

3 Likes

…jjos was a gamechanger for the old akai os…

but they learned the lesson…mpc one has finally truu mpc workflow again, combined with touch touch functions that cover pretty much all jjos advantages from back in the days…
and a flawless daw integration…u can ignore if u want…but it’s there if u need it…

playing the takt with additional velocity responsive pads is still not really the same thing…

sampling from records…is not really fun on the takt…it has a different appoach…did i mention this already…?

i really think, the mpc solution would suit u better for now…
and once u combine it with the other top notch hardware sequencer concept out there…
yep…go for elektron…that is always adding the final spice…

and for a next step heading that direction…u might consider not a takt or a tone…but the cycles…where u get best of all elektrons truu advantages…the parameter locking per step, synth vibes and groovyness on new sonic terretory…all speaking and breathing in realtime…

while with the mpc one, which is way more conservative and straight forward but still versatile, u already get some classic subtractive synth options too…
if ur at the beginning of ur sonic journey, the mpc will give u more fun in fast achieved but none the less convincing results…

2 Likes

Absolutely. I always separate my tracks if I can. Do you have a sound card with a lot of inputs? With the Digitakt you don’t even need a sound card. All you’ll have to do is plug the usb cable into your computer and use Elektron’s plugin Overbridge and you’ll get 8 separate inputs. That feature should not be overlooked.

1 Like