Digitakt out now!

Mine shipped out yesterday. As of today (the 29th), a few stores have them in stock in the US: American Musical Supply and zZounds both list them as in stock, and though Pro Audio Star still has a ‘pre-order’ button, their product page lists them as in stock.

Secured a second digitakt. B stock from juno for an incredible price. Should arrive the 1sr of August :smiley:

1 Like

I just got the last one at Big City Music.

2 Likes

put down a deposit 10 days ago at long & mcquaid and it came in today! i expected a much longer wait, super excited to try it out.

3 Likes

Cancelled my previous preorder and jumped on one from Zzounds. Shipped out today :grinning:.

+1 for Big City Music. I ordered my digitakt after getting prompt confirmation of stock from their sales department, it shipped right away and is awesome.

1 Like

Has there been any clarification as to whether or not the DT will be able to record in stereo using OB yet? The description on the Elektron website does not make this clear.

“Use Digitakt as a 2 in/2 out sound card (CoreAudio/ASIO/WDM)”

I just got the call from Sweetwater. My Digitakt is shipping today!

4 Likes

Mine arrived yesterday :smiley:

I loaded up some 808 samples from the Rytm pack through the Transfer app and that was a breeze. Next I sampled some stuff from my iTunes collection, as well as my voice from a SM57, and made a few patterns.

This thing sounds great, deep and punchy. I made a synth sound looping a tiny portion of a 808 tom sample… the filter sounds fantastic! The overdrive is nice too.

The box itself also makes sound! I tapped in a snare pattern and thought it had this ringing tail to it, and when it started playing from the sequencer was very surprised to hear it was actually a short, dry, and noisy snare sound. The Digitakt’s case resonates no matter how soft or hard I hit the buttons. It didn’t matter so much once I got a full mix going and turned up the volume a bit, but I tend to produce at low volumes so it could be a little distracting… not a deal breaker though.

The more concerning thing to me, and I remember reading it a while back, is that the text on nearly every button is faded on the edges. The numbered track buttons basically just have a small strip of white going through the middle of the number. Since it also affects the light coming through, it’s like the edges weren’t cut deep enough or something. It’s not a big deal in use, and I don’t buy things with the intention of selling in the future, but it could be cause for concern if I ever wanted to do that.

The only other concern is the midi ports seem flimsy, but that should hopefully keep up. I experience the faded lines through the display but that doesn’t bother me at all. The OLED is very nice!

I’m always looking for reasons to return new items like this… I have a solid setup so it really needs to add something worthwhile for me to keep it. I got the Digitakt with the intention of having it replace the Analog Rytm in my setup (live setup, at least). I’m not sure if it will do that yet. I hope the sampling gets developed a bit to include some kind of quantized or grid based options. I’m actually not sure if I like the sampling, having to save the sample before I can even test it out in a track, but my familiarity with the Octatrack influences that.

So yeah, that’s my initial review. Still deciding whether or not it’s a keeper, but I can’t wait to go home to mess with it again. I think it will certainly inspires some new tunes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What’s the likelihood of Elektron revising the Digi series screens the same as the Syntakt? Much prefer the white LEDs and now they look a little odd next to the ST

Screen replacement thread time :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Was the new white screen there to make it easier to differentiate between a Digitakt and a Syntakt in the dark? Was it a supply issue? I’d be interested to know Elektron’s reasoning behind breaking up what could have been a unified screen color aesthetic.

Not a big deal to me personally, but just curious.

2 Likes

Dunno if it’s possible, but wouldnt that be great if there was a screen that had color shift. You could dial in your preferred tone :kissing:

1 Like

Exactly - I’d assume a supply issue. A bit of a shame; the yellow screens on the DN and DT are far nicer, and much kinder on the eyes too btw (and circadian rhythms!). No one who cares for their eye health wants blue light shining in their eyes all day if they can avoid it.

1 Like

That’d be a step backwards for the two Ds! It’s the ST that’s the odd one out : )

2 Likes

I assumed ST screen was white because analog

1 Like

And I don’t know how yellow would fit with the rest of the color scheme. I’m happy with white tbh for a change

1 Like

From what I’ve heard , this is the exactly the reason :slight_smile: just because it looks better.

1 Like

I’m, currently falling in love with the Digitakt and the stock single cycle waveforms. It feels like an 8 track monosynths groove box with enough sound design capabilities to make nice sounds.

2 Likes

It does. You can also use some audio rate LFO on top, resample and create new waveforms. It’s infinite.

3 Likes