Digitakt OS 1.50

The main artifacts come from the MWs playback engine (at repitch) not the wavetables.

Random Wavetable

15 Likes

pardon my ignorance but does anyone have any advice on how to avoid pops and clicks when using the new slice mode on loops?

i’ve adjusted the amplitude envelope to have a slower attack and decay and low-passed filtered the samples (to no avail) so i was wondering if there were any other techniques

supposedly the slice machine automatically finds zero crossing points but i’ve had better luck using old-fashioned one-shot mode and conditional triggers

i apologize if this has been addressed already or if i’m just being stupid

Yeah, I got clicks a lot too. I think it just depends on the source sample. I know there’s automatic 0-crossing alignment on slices, but that doesn’t always fully eliminate clicks.

The amp envelope isn’t per slice, is it? It didn’t seem to behave that way when I checked out the new slice machine. If we could increase attack on each slice it might help fade in and click less

1 Like

that makes sense / the amp envelope is definitely not per slice

the slice machine produces some awesome stuff but it often requires abandoning whatever original intentions you had with it (which can be simultaneously frustrating and rewarding)

the machines in general totally change the otherwise straightforward ui and character of the dt into something more rough and experimental

is there a dedicated 1.50 tips and tricks thread?

3 Likes

I haven’t seen a thread for 1.50 specifically, but this could be a good place, now that 1.50 is the current version:

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/digitakt-tips-and-tricks

Yeah! I actually enjoyed abusing the new machines, rather than using them as intended. Like repitching to something absurdly slow/fast, or using WERP for glitchy staccato stuff or creating interesting cloudy textures, rather than actually time stretching something.

I think the slice machine can be used as intended with many loops without clicking, but not all source material. Or, of course, if you prepare loops or sample chains ahead of time, already knowing they’ll be sliced evenly.

4 Likes

Clicks seems to appear when a Slice is cut by another one. Zero-crossing can cause unequal length slice, hence clicks when a slice isn’t played at its original position.

You can shorten clicky slices with LEN, short release.

On Octatrack, if you slice without zero-crossing and play with corresponding trigs : no clicks. Clicks can occur with zer-crossing.

You can prepare your loops in a DAW, or resampling in DT, so that zero-crossings are on the grid.

I’d like an option for zero-crossing off.

3 Likes

The amp envelope isn’t necessarily per slice; it is per trig. Each trigger will trigger the amp envelope, and the number of slices specified by “len” are played.

I use the slice machine to apply “pseudo-sidechain” with the following technique:
-program a 16 step loop
-resample the 16 step loop
-put loop in a slice machine with grid four
-place trigs on 1, 5, 9 and 13 with trig length 3.5
-use “yes” on the src page and select sequential trig locks
-now increase amp attack until the desired ducking effect is achieved.

11 Likes

TRK+PAGE does momentary FILL in Grid Recording Mode. No idea when this happened.

1 Like

that was the quickest five minutes. i loved that lil jam

1 Like

Thanks. For me it is just a settings video, the real thing begin at the end of the video, jam would be after ! :content:
I listened to the result again, I didn’t expected that, positively surprised, things like the low end, using Len=2 (2 slices).

Slice tuning vary : slices are not equal, because of zero-crossings detection. :meh:
More obvious at the beginning with Len=1.

1 Like

I am having a hard time understanding how zero-crossing detection can cause clicks. Can you give me a simple theoretical example? Tuning change, I understand.

I know it’s pretty unrelated to Digitakt 1.50, however I had some really clicky adventures today with a break in the Slice machine and decided to give Oeksound Spiff a shot. Damn it’s good at removing clicks! I expect there are lots of similar correction plugins available - iZotope RX should have a similar function for a start - but if you like a loop made on DT 1.50 but don’t want the clicks, consider sampling it into your computer, running some neat software like Spiff or RX on it, then sending it back to the DT and running that loop through the Werp or Repitch machines. Or even the One-Shot machine.

Damn it’s so cool to be talking about Machines in the Digitakt.

6 Likes

With or without zero-crossing :
If you modulate slices manually or with an lfo while holding a note, it’s clicky.

If you play a slice before previous one’s end, clicky.

If you play zero-crossing slices one by one, theoretically no clics.

If you slice a loop with zero-crossings not corresponding to theoretical grid (without zero-crossing), slices have different lengths. If you plock slices (or use Create Linear Locks), they are placed on a basic grid, quantized. Longer slices can be cut. Clicky.

Same behavior with Octatrack, but it has an option for zero-crossing. With zero-crossing off, a sliced loop can be played “normally” on the grid with same lengths, without cuts.

3 Likes

Thanks, that helps. Modulating slices manually or with an LFO can click because the slice can change in the middle. I also didn’t expect zero-crossing detection to lengthen slices, only shrink them.

I don’t have an Octatrack. If you turn off zero-crossing and play the slices in order, then I can see there will be no clicks, but wouldn’t they occur when you rearrange slices, because you will be potentially generating transients between one slice and the next?

1 Like

Yes, clicks potentially occur if you change some parameters, as tracks are monophonic without interpolation, you have to change envelopes accordingly. Usually I set Attack to 1 + shorter Hold/Release.

Clicks really annoyed me with OT at first, but I became more tolerant about it, put hihats everywhere, heavy distorsion, lofi! :content:
When clicks are quantized, it can be fine. But I particularly dislike off grid clicks (step unit).

1 Like

I found that if I slice a loop and then play all slices in order, I often get clicks. Even if I don’t rearrange things, for example, if I have a 1-bar loop, slice it in 4, then place trigs on order on 1, 5, 9, and 13, I get clicks. The only explanation is that it’s caused by the 0-crossing detection.

Slicing on 0-crossing doesn’t fully eliminate clicks. Theoretically it’s silent at the 0, but cycles can be so fast that if the subsequent cycle after the 0-crossing is loud enough, we get clicks.

I wonder how feasible it is to change that behavior in a future update. In theory it helps, but not always. An option to disable it (even globally) would be really great

2 Likes

I wouldn’t expect a crossfade !
In a thread we thought about a fade out, but it would delay next trig playback (delayed by fade out time). Unless it is anticipated once sequenced…

1 Like

Yeah, I wouldn’t expect a crossfade either (but that would be awesome!). Just wondering if disabling 0-crossing detection is feasible.

1 Like

Embrace the clicks!

9 Likes