Digitakt OS 1.50

Ah brilliant thanks.
I used to have audioterm running via wine I think, recently moved on to silicon so will have to try and get it working again. Not sure of there’s anything silicon native yet for making wave tables. Anyone know?

I sold my first and only DT a few years back after struggling with the clunkiness of sample management. I know they still haven’t added the ability to create kits, but beyond that, have they done anything to simplify keeping up with samples and using the computer for clean, efficient backup and restoring? I’m very interested in the new 1.50 features, but I worry if I rebuy the DT I’ll be just as frustrated as before with the exact same things.

I’m asking this because I’ve seen a number of former owners chiming in that v1.50 seemed to get them into a much better place with regards to “clicking” with the device and I’d love it if that were the case for me as well.

Elk-herd helped a little bit, but still wasn’t as fluid as I wanted it to be.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

1 Like

AFAIK they improved Transfer.
I’d check Transfer manual.

With Slice now you can use 64 sample chains per slot. Easier management.

3 Likes

Great! I’ll read through the updated manual and see what things look like now. Thanks for the reply.

1 Like

Did some playing around with sample chains, the slice machines and song mode to create this ad hoc techno track:

14 Likes

Sounds great! Definitely worth keeping things minimal within the DT (and the OT) because before long you can end up in a mixing nightmare of multiple hi-hats, kicks, snares, toms and all sorts! You kept it nice and minimal.

1 Like

Any mastering outside of the DT?

Yes, recorded a single live jam straight into my mpc live, in which I added some compression and a little eq post recording before exporting for soundcloud.

(air compressor, then air parametric eq with a -1 dB reduction around 250 Hz and a slight low and high boost -less than .6 dB. Finally some limiting and normalization of the result)

1 Like

If someone takes the time to stitch together single cycle waveforms and then uses the slice machine, wouldn’t that make it possible to do a hacky wavetable on 1.50? :thinking:

1 Like

Exactly what I did.

9 Likes

Getting the Boris Brejcha vibe from this and liking it!

2 Likes

That is some proper techno banging! :+1:

1 Like

Last night the Digitakt finally clicked, sat down for hours just banging out ever-developing techno from one pattern. Of course I wasn’t recording, and when I did, Overbridge decided to make things… less stable. Nearly lost an eardrum to an incredibly loud noise out of nowhere just before the Digi locked up and stopped responding. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

12 Likes

One should always record loud glitch noises !

6 Likes

WaveEdit and Audioterm are both fine for making Digitakt wavetables, I tested both extensively last week. Both output wavetables that are a slightly detuned F so you need to tune accordingly in DT. Some filtering is usually required to get rid of the pops, but not always.

Also, https://waveeditonline.com/ has a heap of free WTs that will work in DT, some aren’t so good but there’s some quite exotic ones amongst them.

3 Likes

If only the auto normalize would be predictive

:thinking: Clipped digital noise is already normalized, isn’t it ?

1 Like

Hrmmmm, wonder what the glitchiest wavetable sources are that I could use to eliminate my desire for a Microwave.

No sure of what you mean but glitchy wavetables can be used.
Main problem is clicky fast modulation/slice change.
Less clicky with BR.

1 Like

I know there are plenty modern Serum-style wavetable packs, I was curious about harsh wavetables with a similar feel and artifacting to the PPG/MW1 or Prophet VS

1 Like