Digitakt OS 1.05

anyone tried the sysex backup?

it worked via midi for me, but not via usb.

Is the screen ghosting gone or am I imagining things? I remember Simon mentioning that it’s going to get fixed in a future update. Didn’t see it in the release notes though.

The bitcrusher definitely changed, it has less of a volume reduction that it used to have with the previous OS. Now it’s more of an actual bitcrusher and we don’t have to go full clockwise on it to hear a difference.

3 Likes

?? Pretty clearly people seem to be concerned by the large increase in volume on low overdrive settings, does yours not do this?

2 Likes

I can see I need to record all my industrial acid-tek bangers before upgrading!

I didn’t notice but probably because I have atleast a bit of overdrive on everything :sweat_smile: hope they fix that up quickly though for people who aren’t as overdrive addicted as me. I think it might actually be the other way around though, that the non overdriven sounds are actually quieter than they should be as I didn’t notice a big volume bump or anything.

1 Like

Good to hear that from a fellow overdrive addict :slight_smile:

Didn’t notice new overdrive behavior at first, but then went through my projects an realized that some patterns sound really different indeed.

It would be great to hear some more or less “official” comments on this. Is it bug and is it going to be addressed in the near future?

It does indeed, but the problem is that some old patterns sound very different (those were you used a combination of bit-reduction and overdrive, especially).

That " New " Overdrive sounds good, just the difference between 0.00 & 0.01 is too big…
Little fix will be cool :slight_smile:

4 Likes

So will Elektron continue to redifine how exsisting features work with every update?, the overdrive and bitcrusher were not the best but you get used to what you are given( especially when there is no word they are faulty), I appreciate new features but not at the cost of replacing old ones I have to work with. Many of my patterns have relatiponships between distortion and bitcrush that will surely be effected by even small changes, I seriously doubt adjusting them will be possible. I may not take my music making that seriously but when I make the effort to create something on a device I dont expect it to be tampered with by the makers, its bad enough I still cant back my work up, now I am being asked to redo it to accommodate an update that doesnt seem to fix the most important problems I am suffering from.

2 Likes

It would be kind of cool if they made it possible to back up projects before they made changes that effect the projects.

I am fine with minor changes to the sound engine such as the ones introduced in this update.

Of course, it’s nice when they’re documented with suggestions on how to update existing patterns.

But I much rather have improvements than perfect backwards compatibility.

And I am pretty sure most customers will agree, even though people who voice disagreement with these kind of changes tend to be more vocal. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So you are happy for Elektron to redefine how your music sounds after you have made it?, improvements to me are things that add to the character not interfere with it, I had no idea the overdrive and bit reduction were broken and therefore no idea I needed to concern myself with how I was using them. I was half expecting different fx to be implemented at some point but as an alternative in one of those teasing empty boxes rather than a straight swap.

That’s not what they’ve done and that’s not what I’ve said.

And if you truly feel that this is what they’ve done to your music, then I can only recommend that you take a good look at your process and consider how you can prevent something like this in the future. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

after the upgrade i have only FX on the headphone-output. can´t find any setting to change this. have i missed something or is this a bug?

By far the best thing about the update is the midi loop fix. Is incredibly cool to set up midi tracks as modifiers and then mute the midi track and bring in the modulation when you want it. In s live situation this is invaluable.

5 Likes

Amen!!!

2 Likes

I worked with what I was given, how i am supposed to predict the ways in which Elektron will change the rules?, if a device is capable of a certain sound when released you shouldnt expect that to be changed 8 months later. especially when there was no word it was faulty.
My process has been built around what is possible, if I have used overdrive and bit reduction in an odd way it is because the device allowed me to do so. I dont remember reading any guidelines telling me not to get attatched to the current implentation because it is temporary. If I hadnt spent the last 8 months working with the old fx I would be pleased with the update, right now I am scared to download in case it screws up my hard work.

1 Like

I’m not telling you what you’re supposed to do or feel or think.

I just stated a preference for getting improvements over making sure that everything always sounds exactly the same before and after a firmware update.

Things chance. Especially Elektron has a tradition of releasing firmware updates with fixes, new features, improvements, and other changes long after the release of their devices.

My recommendation above was intended as a honest suggestion to improve things for you.

Of course I don’t know any of the details of your situation, but if I were in a similar position, I would first take time to record stems for my patterns, and a few full tracks or performances before I update.

That way I have a both a more permanent recording of my music, and a reference for tweaking things after the update has been applied.

4 Likes