Digitakt Mute behaviour

When using the 1st condition on a muted track, unmuting it reveals silence instead of the expected looped single cycle triggered on 1st play. Is this a bug or a feature?

1 Like

I believe that when you mute a track you’re effectively muting the next trig. So if you were halfway through a longish sample the sound wouldn’t go off the instant you muted the track but once the sample had finished.

So if your conditional trig on step 1 is muted on the first pass through then it won’t have been triggered to be playing silently in the background, which is what you obviously want to happen.

Pretty sure this is intentional, though I can see why it might be undesirable. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

I guess - purely playing devil’s advocate - the fact that DT is pitched as a ‘drum sampler’ (i.e. something that you would expect to solely be playing short samples) would be the explanation for this behaviour.

It’s possible to imagine then a situation where you’d want to quickly mute a track but allow the short sample playing at the time you press the button to continue to its end.

Mutes work like this on many midi sequencers and samplers, like the MPC for example. It’s merely a design feature intended for a certain type of workflow and performance style, not an oversight by the developers

1 Like

You could P-Lock the the levels then just increase them afterward… or maybe create a lock that does that for you?

edit: ah sorry, missed the part where you asked for clarification.

use pattern mutes. Make sure the thing you want to hear has an unmuted pattern mute track.

This mute behaviour is present on audio tracks on the Octatrack - in arranger mode. It has its uses…

The more I think about I the more this make sense, as long as you think in terms of DT being a drum sampler.

Think about what is most musically useful when dynamically muting/unmuting in performance. I don’t think you would, for example, want to unmute a ride track and immediately hear the tail end of a decay of a previously triggered hit. I think you’d want each hit to be complete.

I accept this doesn’t help you with what you’re trying to do. But for most use cases I think the approach to muting makes more sense. This isn’t a loop player.

It’s been a while since I had an Octatrack, maybe the muting behaviour on that is different and more suitable for you?

Yeah, I guess end result is the same. Anything that’s not a one-shot sample might fall foul of the mute behaviour. I can see why it’s frustrating. DT was originally marketed as a drum sampler, but clearly has huge potential as a synth or general sampler too.

The Rytm treats muting of samples the same way and it always kind of bummed me out. On the DT, I use the mixer screen and just cut the vol of a track all the way down to truly mute it. Then reload the pattern to unmute. Not nearly optimal, but it functions.

1 Like

This possibly could be shunted into its own thread as it’s a useful discussion. As I said, I was just playing devil’s advocate - and I can see uses for both approaches.

But I genuinely think the trig behaviour makes sense for a one shot / drum sampler. Think about if the mute behaviour was ‘instant zero volume toggle’ as you suggest… you would need to be much, much tighter with the timing of your unmuting of the samples in order to not hear unwanted snippets of sounds that had been trigged whilst mute was on. The current approach means you can unmute at any point between the unwanted trig and the wanted trig. Gives you some flexibility, I think.

Of course it would be nice to have the option to select between both behaviours on a per-track basis. Something for the feature request thread?

Personally - I love that mute mutes the triggering of things from the sampler. For me, this gives a natural performance: I mute a track, and the last hit decays naturally (or unnaturally, depending on how I’ve got it set!). I use this often to effect on HH like tracks: because the frequent triggers cut off the decay - then a quick mute and you get one nice long shot… then unmute again.

If I want volume to zero on the track… I use a the track level control (possibly from my MIDI fader/button/knob box).

7 Likes

Concerning mutes: the Octa has “cut everything off abruptly” mutes. They suck.

Of course, the Digitakt has send effects, which makes the reverbs ring out at least, but I think I’d still prefer the current way.

2 Likes

how about splitting this out into a separate thread?
muting works as intended as far as I can see.
best to stick to actual bugs here.

3 Likes

Agree. How does one summon a mod?

2 Likes

@avantronica

1 Like

1 Like

All the above … Or flag your post with an enlightening ‘other’ comment

Which posts need to be moved out, how far back ?

We can be philosophical about leaving a bit of clutter in a thread which one would hope will be short lived, but bringing out useful info is well worth the easy admin effort

1 Like

Starts with @Joshua’s post around #227 and most but not all posts since then.

Maybe could be a new thread called ‘Digitakt mute behaviour’?

1 Like

Done, thanks all for flagging, yeah, it went a bit Off Topic, useful discussion to syphon off here, even with the meta posts above :thup:

1 Like