Digitakt MK2 - Your Suggestions?

“new machines make money , Firmware updates dont”

very true, but increasingly new machines that need firmware updates just to do something basic just annoy the f@£$ out of people and they’ll go elsewhere , damaging their reputation , making their user base more cautious , more likely to vent on forums and make sure people know the reality of a piece of equipment .

but i do like my DT , use it a lot , i like my analog 4, OT , rytm etc etc… not buying another one or updated one until firmware/fixes/overbridge are seen to be improving . and maybe i get a job.

I’d also like to see Elektron offer an app for iOS and Android so that udpates, soundpacks, and samples could be transferred using your phone or tablet.

I dunno man, I think that’s an overly cynical view and not very well considered. I’m certain that the people at Elektron are concerned with more than just the bottom line and making sure their pockets are fat. They’re musicians like us, after all, and they got into the game to produce the machines that others weren’t.

2 Likes

The heat is a weird case. It was their first effects unit and it’s likely that it did far better than they anticipated. I imagine if they had no more Heat mki units in stock and they cannot produce more on current part stock they have left, the upgrade is almost forced if they want to keep producing the heat.

They have a historically bad record in planning parts usage. The sidstation was discontinued because the entire idea was based on already difficult to find chips. The silver boxes had to be upgraded cause they were already having a hard time servicing mki models. And I see bad planning on the heat as well.

Up until the last 2 or so years elektron was a relatively unknown company, with niche products. But it has been mentioned by elektron that the digitakt in a year has outsold the number octatracks sold since the octatrack was introduced 7-8 years ago. This is huge for them, and the success does signify the need to reassess long term plans for their current line up and future products.

I think the refresh to mkii for existing products and the introduction of the small boxes is a result of that. Mkii parts upgrades likely means they expect to produce, sell, and service more units. And I think we are more likely to see another digibox or effects unit before anymore mkii upgrades…

Though, we may see an analog drive mkii before another box

2 Likes
  • multichannel ADAT (for all their new boxes)
  • USB 3 or C for fast transfer
  • transfer files while pattern playing (results in stutter now)
  • more storage (8 GB?)
  • 2 voices per track to be able to overlap samples
  • more curves for envelopes? why only linear? can‘t be too hard to add some more…?

and all of the above

4 Likes

I’m just doing a bit of research and noticed that, in three years, the 20 year anniversary of the original Machinedrum is coming up- I’d sooner hope for a reinvisioning of that or a digi-mark3 version

5 Likes

Nice research! Let’s hope they surprise us. Imagine the Machinedrum with just the modern Sequencer Features alone - Killer!!!

1 Like

Digitakt MK2… new even better screen and buttons… each button is a screen. Encoders are now cone shaped for some reason. Extra knob for unknown reasons.

5 Likes

Can it also make Coffee then?

1 Like

haha yes… actually if they more so just aimed to make a portable battery powered version of the Digi units I think they might get some people pretty hyped.

1 Like

I could write you a list…

3 Likes

I don’t have to imagine- I’ve been sequencing it with the DT. And, yes, it IS heaven. All that’s missing is the direct p-locking.

My next experiment would be sampling the MD into the DT and trying it the other way(pitches would be easier).

If they dropped an anniversary mk3- with/without the Digi form factor. I wouldn’t even mind the loss of resale value of my mk2(I’d probably let a friend borrow it indefinitely so they could experience the wonder of it). And I would purchase that mk3 at nearly any asking price. I still swear that it’s the greatest Elektron. Those sounds are DOPE!

1 Like

You should really do that! :upside_down_face:

Signed! Although i would first check if it really has all its original Features - plus the modern Sequencer. If that is really the case, i would prolly pay 1700 € for this without questioning! The MD was my first Elektron machine and it was the machine that made me want even moar Elektron! Just because it was so damn awesome!

1 Like

this is more just things i would like in current Digitakt, through updates… combining octotrack and digitakt means can bounce between as see fit, the limitations in digitakt are all very good in way of simplifying and making the usability more immediate, but being familiar with prior elektron insides can you leave you wanting more sometimes. would love to see these implemented if possible in current digitakt …

• Voice settings ala Digitones, to borrow ‘voices’ from other tracks and get polyphony going on a single track / using the same sample settings.
  • 2nd Filter per track, ala Digitone (FLTR PAGE 2). very used to elektron boxes having BASE + WIDTH. 1 filter per track and no additional EQ settings can leave wee bit to be desired.
  • 2nd LFO per track + (or, the) option for LFO destination to be any track parameter, not limited to current track. i think doing the midi out > in trick can overcome this with the midi LFO, but my midi chain is already a complicated nightmare and would prefer doing this in-box. (maybe alternatively, the option to re-route midi LFO internally to any of the 8 Audio Track parameters?).
  • TEMPO MULTIPLIER in scale page.

with all these features, i sort of am just asking for a lot of features from the octatrack that aren’t available in the digitakt to the point of maybe i should just forget about it and stick with the octatrack… but there’s still an elegance and simplicity to the digitakt that makes me enjoy using it and i don’t think these features would get in the way, if it were possible to implement them.

3 Likes

Keeping it for my own hardware :wink:

5 Likes

An extra recording buffer slot or two, being able to copy and paste trigs and such whilst keeping a copied pattern intact would be very usefull.

No way we will see an mk2 very soon.
Heat got updated pretty quickly because of end of life parts (they need to keep enough parts to be able to repair mki for years to come) and getting it in line with the current design. Digitakt already has the current design so I don’t see why an mk2 would be near :slight_smile:

I’d say, let’s just enjoy the Digitakt for what it is and every additional feature that gets implemented is a great surprise :wink:

My 2 cents.

14 Likes

…we might see bigger +drives soon…and further more new digi concepts…
but pretty sure no mk2 versions of any already existing digi products…
that little upgrade of the heat was just for refreshing and simplyfing the whole product line, when it comes to order further single parts and service logistics…as already mentioned here…

1 Like

how would you be able to add more storage? I once started a thead asking for this and the response was that the memory is soldered…

edit: ah … you mean like a 2nd option with a bigger +drive?