Digitakt meets Beatstep Pro

I love the performable retrig on the Rytm. Hold retrig and play the pads however you have their retrig set.

I’ve wished DT had a similar performance mode, so I started looking around and ended up with a BSP.

Here’s a quick example of what I have in mind:

11 Likes

just noticed that DT mutes are overridden by BSP. There’s no muting the BSP train when it’s coming through

2 Likes

Mutes are only applied to notes input into the DT sequencer. Externally sequenced notes are not muted by the DT but rather the device doing the sequencing.

I sequence the DT from the MPC Live

1 Like

that is one hell of a great idea…
So what needs to be done in the midi control center would be to apply the note values of the 8 tracks to it?
That is smart… adds a lot of value to the DT

1 Like

i’m still messing around with it, but my initial changes to the default BSP midi config were to switch the Drum Map pad #s from “drum channel” to 1-8, respectively.

Then I set the midi channel on BSP to 14 (my default DT auto channel), so both Sequencers 1&2 will play whichever track I have selected on the DT.

It’s been a fun afternoon, but I’m sure there’s way more I can do with this set up. (only had the BSP for a couple days)

The retrig values from BSP don’t record to the DT like I wish they would, but I might figure something out.

1 Like

The retrig was a great addition to the Beatstep pro in the last update.

I love that you can control velocity with the aftertouch of the pads while using the touchstrip for resolution. It can be very physically expressive.
Great for playing in hi hat patterns.

It should record to the Digitakt sequencer as long as you dont go over the step resolution. i.e. dont retrig 32nds on the BS pro with 16th resolution on the DT.

2 Likes

Ahhh, yes. i’ll have a go at that

edit: nice. tricky, though, if you do want those little rolls, but I suppose I can grid sequence those specific rolls

You could set the Scale of your pattern on the DIgitakt to x2 to give you 1/32 resolution. This should let you capture your fast rolls, etc to the DT sequencer.
Will limit you to 2 bars though.

2 Likes

Could someone kindly explain how this has been set up, I’m having some trouble doing it myself.

1 Like

Sure! What’s your hang up and what are you working with?

Okay, so I’ve got the BSP midi out to digitakt midi in and I’ve also changed the midi channels on the drum sequencer to 1-8 in the midi control centre.
So with that set up, I can easily sketch out sequences on the bsp and then record them into the digitakt.

What I’m having trouble with however is then performing retrigs once it’s been recorded in the Digitakt sequencer.

1 Like

The retrigs won’t necessarily record to the sequencer if they’re faster than your sequencer settings… so you’ve got your basic pattern recorded in and then the retrigs can just be played live… that’s what I’m doing anyway. you can obviously record the audio to work into a track, but otherwise they just have to be played live.

So, whichever pad you’re playing, just hit it and slide on the resolution bar on the BSP.

…i feel like i didn’t answer that very well…

in my video above, DT is playing a sequence that I programmed on its own sequencer. Then I’m just live-playing the rolls/retrigs that you hear. In my instance I’m only sending midi to the auto channel via sequencer 1 on the BSP, so that’s why the instrument rolls are changing when I switch DT tracks. Had I used the drum sequencer (as opposed to the sequencer tracks 1 and 2) I could have had different results.

I’m away from my set up at the moment, but will explore further and see if I find any hiccups when I get home.

Oh yeah, thank you, I’m following you now.

I was thinking that the digitakt sequencer steps were being translated onto the bsp sequencer whenever you were changing tracks on the digi. But in reality, you’ve just programmed some trigs on the bsp sequencer to allow you to do the retrigs live?

no, the retrigs are totally live! those are not programmed. there’s a pattern playing on the DT in my video above. Then you can see when I am playing the retrigs in realtime via the BSP.

edit: in my video the BSP melodic sequencer is what I’m tossing between tracks on the DT.

i am still not home to my gear, but I will explore the drum sequencer with regard to your query and try a new video

1 Like

Thanks,I would greatly appreciate another video.

Thanks for your responses by the way

1 Like

Would love to see how you’re using the BSP with DT today!

Imagine, if you will, a large pile of gear sitting together under a plastic sheet to keep the dust off. The BSP lives in there. LoL. …Connected to the 0-coast and monotribe right now.

The DT, DN, and OT are my main hangs these days. Minus the quick retrig functionality the BSP brought to the Digitakt, I wasn’t doing anything the DT\OT combo can’t do.

1 Like

Hehe, seems natural considering all the powerful Elektron sequencing you’ve got as is. I know only teaspoons full as a new Elektron virgin. :blush:

To me it’s certainly a different language compared to the BSP, but it irks me to have to use Arturia’s Midi Control Center assigning CCs to the Digitakt. Wondering if people share their MCC Projects here otherwise.

1 Like

Hi, anybody knows if it’s possible to use DT with BSP, BSP as midi slave and transform the sequence from DT on the selected scale on BSP?

hmm… ‘transform the sequence from DT…’

so, like, you’d have a sequence playing on the DT already, and then you’re wondering if you can alter the sequence via BSP. is that right?

i think it’d work super easy if that’s what you’re after.

do clarify a bit for me if that’s not what you’re after.