DigiTakt II teardown

I heard it’s just a basic sr20det, I would have been more impressed to see an RB or an LS under the hood.

4 Likes

If someone goes ahead (before I gain the courage… probably after warranty period), I would like to know very much if the screen from DT1 would be compatible, thanks a lot!

IMG_1582

22 Likes

Who’s willing to give up their garanty?

Supposedly got one here:

I spot one Coldfire CPU.

2 Likes

Beware the sharc!

7 Likes

Possibly ADSP-SC59x/2159x SHARC Product Family | Analog Devices

ADSP chip: ADSP-21569 Datasheet and Product Info | Analog Devices

1 Like

looks like enough room for batteries :wink::+1:

3 Likes

No worries after all :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I was expecting this thing to be filled up, but there is still a bunch of space in there.

31 Likes

hmm. photo reveals a 2023 mainboard, so I doubt this is from a DTII. Also Coldfire/Shark is an ancient outdated legacy platform these days. This evidence doesn’t figure with Cuckoo’s suggestion that they’ve finally moved to a more contemporary platform.

I pulled it from Discord, hence why I say “supposedly”. Dunno what AH+FX looks like for comparison as I haven’t seen the teardown there.

As far as Cuckoo and statements go, see: Introducing Digitakt II - #932 by LyingDalai

1 Like

I’d say 2023 sounds quite right for DTII.

1 Like

no doubt the underlying hardware platform will be confirmed in the next few days. I really hope they’ve managed to step away from these old cpus.

Confirmed: Digitakt II PCB

Cuckoo is talking about what’s inside :

2 Likes

Isn’t that Coldfire the same CPU present in DT1, DN, and ST?

Is there another CPU chip in there? Because if there’s nothing else, is there anything on the way of a 2.0 update that upgrades DN and ST to run on the new software platform?

EDIT: Additional SHARC CPU on the left side, that makes way more sense.

1 Like

Looks to be same model # yes

1 Like

The Coldfire CPU is 200MHz and probably just run the UI : Screen, buttons, encoders, LEDs. Would make sense that they reuse everything they have from the former model with just a few added buttons/LEDs. UI wise DT(II), DN and ST is a hardware platform with slight changes.

SHARC DSP is 800-1000MHz, and probably does all the heavy lifting concerning Audio DSP, interfacing the AD/DA converters, RAM.

I don’t see any mention of USB interface on the SHARC, so I expect the that’s handled by the Coldfire as well, and would expect MIDI to be handled similarly.

This would require a pretty solid bus for exchanging real-time audio data (18+ channels?) from DSP chip to UI chip (for Overbridge to work), unless the two chips can share access to the RAM chips…

This is all speculation of course

2 Likes