Digitakt II or Rytm mk2, what would YOU do?

Your tune here was really good and made me want to go use mine again.

3 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I’ll get the Rytm because it’s great to have analog filters and analog overdrive for each track.

The only real limitations are 1x LFO per track and no digital HP/LP filter for the sample engine, also it’s lacking those cool sample mangling machines on the DTII.

So if you’re all about sample manipulation and don’t mind digital filters then DTII is probably the right choice for you.

:100: the filters & master overdrive are the main 2 things making me want a dt2

and the new retrigs :wink:

2 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

6 Likes

After having played with my RTMKII’s physical UI (available buttons, pads, button and knob layout in general) the UI of my DT1 always looks sort of degraded and VERY small.

I’d opt for a RTMKIII with added DT2 functionality.

2 Likes

Do you really have to ask this?

1 Like

how is digitone synthesis compares with what rytm offers for you?

on topic,
I’m rytm camp fo sho, for me the synth part always > sampling part, I do love mangling with samples but not to the point that sampler capabilities > synthesis, what rytm offers is sure limited in comparison even to DT1 but that’s plenty for me. actually, whenever I think about rytm sampling capabilities I think about @Sleepyhead, his work and albums he released are the verification that whatever rytm is capable of - it’s enough to produce real quality output. and that’s all I need honestly when I think about a sampler.
however, if I would look for a companion for the rytm, something that I can use long stereo texture samples or stuff like that, I would consider DT2 instead of OT for example, which can do other stuff but depends what you’re looking for…
if I would look for sampler only, like standalone sampler, then DT2 is a no brainer, the new stuff looks amazing and that’s at birth, considering that it will probably get more in it’s lifetime that’s pretty amazing starting point.

6 Likes

Totally agreed. The analog overdrive, filter and compressor on samples on AR are really special. And you can synthesize sounds to go with samples (or rather: synthesize stuff that goes with a few samples). Both within the same machine. That’s really powerful and unique amongst Elektron’s current lineup. And we haven’t even talked about macros. Plus, Rytm also has some of the new DT 2 sequencing options.

Only downside is the strict limit as to what each synth track on AR can do. I also agree that the digis feel a bit cramped if you go back to them from AR.

In general, Rytm just feels a lot more like a dedicated drum machine to me than DT 1/2 or Syntakt. The whole interface and chose groups at least make me understand better where all of the classic sounds in electronic music come from and how they are made. I feel like it’s teaching me something, while ST and DT are more like quick enablers for my own ideas to come out.

1 Like

other than the larger footprint, love the Rytm. Need to spend more time with it.

That’s one of the reasons I still keep giving it a shot. I love the footprint and look. It’s the best looking elektron to me (the grey I own in particular.)

The UI just feels clean and inspiring. But yeah, if you’re strapped for space I totally get it.

4 Likes

really cannot go wrong with the new Digitakt II. If I did not have tons of gear and was a total beginner wanting a hardware jam box, it would be a top choice unless I wanted to go down the MPC route. One past guy I knew in San Diego with tons of modular had a Digitakt and raved about it.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more :heart:! It makes me want to use it and leads me to try stuff with samples that I never did with DT.

This is my strategy as well :sunglasses:

1 Like

The DT2 looks really cool–heck, the DT1 still looks like fun, but for me the Rytm Mk2 is nearly the Platonic ideal of a drum machine. (I’ve got my complaints but they’re relatively minor.) The combo of analog and samples with a velocity mod map makes for living breathing sounds. The compressor thick and sweet like a slice of sponge cake. The distortion is more than just nasty-stomp-boxy (though it can do that), at low values it makes everything just shimmer. The FX, especially with the FX track plocks is wild. The performances! The scenes!

And finally, and I just can’t say this enough: DIRECT JUMP SHOULD LEGALLY BE REQUIRED ON ALL DRUM MACHINES.

This is very accurate:

This is a great summary.

6 Likes

Thanks so much for mentioning my music man! :heart:

I think the AR is a really unique instrument, combining synthesis with sampling and the analog components makes it just sound more alive than any other sampler I’ve ever used. The AR sound is something I will forever love, and the machine takes you in other directions than ‘regular’ samplers.

If youre purely looking for a great sampler/sequencer I think the DT mk2 cant be beat probably. There’s so much more functions to make your life easy. If they add a sample chopping function there’s very little anyone could wish for.

3 Likes

Literally just bought exactly the same boxes. Should arrive on Monday :musical_note::partying_face:

just to finish things up:
(I know the beat is meh, sound is too quiet, but I had fun…and don’t regret my decision!)

7 Likes

I like it

I got to say, the Digitakt 2 feels amazing after getting mine today. The better sample rate, 3 LFOs, stereo, comb filter, all the effects, portamento makes it viable as a synth on top of being a sampler/drum machine. Here I made this massive and heavy sounding synth from a Virus TI sample today when I first tested it. I have been making a bunch of different synths to my library already out of sample files today.

On top of all that having 16 stereo tracks just feels amazing and not limiting. Longer sequencer helps making longer and more intricated melodies too, if you want that.

2 Likes