Digitakt II or Rytm mk2, what would YOU do?

Honestly, you will never know what fits you until you try them both. I started using drum machines on stage back in the 80’s when I bought a brand new Sequential Drumtracks. It was a great box that I really connected with. I loved being able to program the volume and tuning of each note. We covered a lot of Prince with that machine, along with Rocket by Herbie Handcock. A few years ago I bought an ARmk1 thinking it would be great, but I never connected with it. Bought a Digitakt and loved programming it and quickly paired it with my TR8S. At some point decided to try again and bought a ARmk2. No connection. I like my Syntakt, love playing around with the Model Samples and Cycles. Have my Digitakt 2 on pre-order. Not sure why I don’t connect with the AR, but if I had not tried it I would still be lusting for one. You are just going to have to jump in and try to really know which one is for you.

I will say, if you buy a used ARmk2 at a good price and don’t like it, you can always sell it.

Not to hog the thread, but to this point in particular:

What is your idea of performance? Do you want to assign and tweak some wild stuff on the fly with happy accidents?

Or do you want to carefully craft some very specific performance values across a range of tracks so you can try to improvise within those constraints later?

It’s obviously a spectrum, not black and white, but the Rytm falls much harder into the second category for me. I thought I’d love the perf/scene experience, but I’d sooner save kit state, fuck everything up, and revert than sit there assigning another perf pad. (Guess who else just got kits… :smiley: )

I will say the pads are awesome for live mutes and playing in sounds chromatically. I think they are absolutely fine for playing in notes un-quantized with some “feel” too, despite the complaints. But my current mk2 was better than my first mk2 in the regard, so who knows.

Now that the DTII has ‘MODWHEEL’, ‘AFTERTOUCH’, and ‘BREATH’ mod destinations, you can essentially have macros with the help of an external encoder/fader controller. Each of the above can modulate up to 4 destinations. Bipolar as well.

1 Like

It’s more of creating my own Punch-in FX, that can be used to create quick arrangements. Which is how I use my OP-Z.

@d4ydream TRUE, that’s a great point and fits right with what I said above☝️

@RabidMusic I guess having sold the AR twice before speaks to it…

we’re getting dangerously close to a DT2 order folks!

Just buy it! Embrace all the Elektron gear and have fun. Life is short, and if your wallet can handle it, go for it. I pulled the trigger immediately and I already own RYTM MK2, DT, DN, A4 MK2, OT etc…

3 Likes

Highway to the Danger Zone!!

3 Likes

if I was starting out with no gear, probably the new Digitakt to get a sampler and all on one groovebox.

1 Like

you could also not decide right now and/or not get either.

3 Likes

Where’s the fun in that? :stuck_out_tongue:

DAMN…reverse psychology, you found my weakness.

DIGITAKT II has been ordered. case closed.

thanks to everybody :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Digitakt 2 is the answer.

What is the question?

Explanation

A play on the hospitality motto of “Yes is the answer. What is the question?”

1 Like

You made me enjoy my Rytm.

17 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

As one moves towards the light of the new, another decides the stay cloaked in the grey, darkness of yore for but another day.

The balance has returned.

1 Like

good choice, throw a microcosm, console, ottobit jr, or tensor pedal on the end of it and resample all of that shiatsu then massage to taste.

1 Like

how very poetic

Our devices shall forever be karmically linked

2 Likes

Haha…no pedals, other than MOOD mk2 right now please :wink:

1 Like

I have to say that maybe not for deep sampling, but for hip hop, sleepyhead has made very good use of rytm II’s sampling capabilities.

anyhow, congrats on your purchase, enjoy!

1 Like

Ok you made me REALLY enjoy my Rytm. (Last one, I promise.)

I don’t need a new box, I need to woodshed more with this one. This kind of idea would be great with some scenes, perfect and a bit more pre planning and attention to mix.

I don’t always have the energy to go beyond these fast “hit and quit” sessions, so the more immediate options are always more appealing to me.

But man this thing could be a beast in the right hands ( or maybe mine with a lot more time. )

Just wanted to drop this notion in here as well, as we all go through the motions of hype on a new product. DT2 looks amazing with so many improvements.

Time spent learning a new box would only deter me from learning this one better.

This is just my choice. Yall need to buy those DT2s so I can watch videos and eventually snag one second hand from you.

To end my rant and return back to the stated question in the OP. Digitakt II or Rytm mk2, what would YOU do?

• I’d pre-order the DT2.
  • Make plans to sell my Rytm mk2.
  • Bust out said Rytm. Power it on.
  • Remember the good times.
  • Cancel pre-order.
21 Likes

I have a Rytm. It’s great sample material for something like a DT or other sampler/sequencer. It’s got some nice synths too. Just make some patterns and sample them into the DT.

I’m keeping my Rytm. I preordered a DT2

2 Likes