Digitakt II or Rytm mk2, what would YOU do?

So in all this frenzy of the D2 coming out (or however you want to abbreviate it),
I saw a Rytm mk2 for sale for the same price as a new Digitakt II.

Which would you get?

since some of you already have both @Jeanne @jcd @UserFriendly , what do you think?

1 Like

DT mk1 and a Rytm Mk1

Best of both worlds and you can sequence the Rytm with the Digitakt while using the Rytm Performance macros

3 Likes

canā€™t cope with the encoders of the Rytm mk1, sorry :smiley:

1 Like

Do you have the desk real estate for a Rytm mk2? It has quite a presence on the bench.

1 Like

I am aware, I usually have to swap whatā€™s on the table anyway.

Depends on what you want to do. If you focus on samples, get DTII. If you focus on synthesis, get Rytm ā€¦

13 Likes

Hereā€™s the way I would look at it- how ā€˜traditionalā€™ are your drum kits in terms of sounds used? While the Rytm can utilize samples, how much it can do with samples is much more limited compared to the new D2. However, its ace is the drum synth engines, which are flexible and powerful but limited in number. Certain machines can only go on certain tracks; ie the top row is just for cymbal / noise machines. I think if the Rytm could put any machine on any track, it would be much, much more useful for a lot more people. As of now, the best machines can only be used on the bottom three (four) tracks, and that can be quite limiting. But if you use toms, cymbals, etc in every single groove you make, that might not be an issue. The D2 now has 16 tracks and any of them can hold any type of sound. So to me, its a question of intent. How do you intend to use the machine?

3 Likes

@Jeanne @maymind_trax

Thanks for the input.

I am definitely a sampler-guyā€¦
The main reason why the Rytm is calling me (again) is the performance side of things. I like the fact that performance macros can be used for quick arrangements.
However it is good to be reminded of its shortcomings as a sampler :smiley:

4 Likes

The gap in sound between Digitakt and Rytm is extreme and sad (a few months ago I said Rytm made me hate DT), however thanks to Master Overdrive and the new Filters of the DTII not anymore :wink:

6 Likes

I feel like Rytm will still hold a special place because of the sound ā€” the analog filters, overdrive, compressor, and of course the synth engines.

But DT2 is extremely capable. I feel like the 16 tracks on DT2 are a crucial difference between the two ā€” with 16 tracks you can do so much layering, could add so many small/subtle touches to your ideas without running out of space to play.

So yeah, I think for me the decision would come down to how much I want that uniquely Rytm sound vs. how much I want more tracks/capabilities to explore. (Also, as @Jeanne noted and demonstrated in her tunes, the DT2 can get as dirty as you want, so perhaps the sound gap between the two is narrowing anyhow.)

2 Likes

(Just as a side note, Iā€™d never part with my Rytm, for many reasons ā€¦ for example, Iā€™m a synthesis girl :stuck_out_tongue: )

10 Likes

ā€¦hmmm maybe I should just stop buying stuff?!?! NEVER

I guess we all get these urges (at least I hope so, otherwise Iā€™m in trouble)
to buy some piece of gear, just because we found a good deal.
I guess a Rytm mk2 for $990 is pretty niceā€¦but the sampling limitations will probably annoy me, is what I should remind myself of.
ALTHOUGH I do like the pads & performance options a lot.

Thanks for the therapy session

3 Likes

Syntakt and Digitakt 2 is the way.

7 Likes

Kind of a double edged sword. Iā€™m currently having this ARmk2 vs DT2 debate with myself.

YMMV of course, but I often have trouble reigning in the Rytmā€™s wild nature. The gainstaging can be truly unruly. It tightened up a bit after the last update but I still found the Syntakt easier to get something fast going by a rather large margin (even with the same engines.)

The Rytm will surprise me with my juicy sounds Iā€™ve never experienced before, and then in post I have to ask ā€œHow the hell do I mix around this.ā€ - often times I just donā€™t. The Rytm has been hard for me to incorporate into my actual output for this reason.

3 Likes

not a Syntakt fan to be honestā€¦no need for the synths.
the Rytm would be mainly for the performance pads, and analog filters.

I agree that it really depends on what you want to do. I think I would say that rytm delivers a sound that canā€™t really be replicated elsewhere easily whether you like that sound or not. Where as Digitakt 2 is going to be faster to get up and running once you have the material in it. I stand by it that no two Elektron boxes actually overlap that much. Theyā€™re balanced between one and other .

But Iā€™ll say my heart forever belongs to the Analog Elders.

6 Likes

Thanks, this was good to hear.

I remember making beats on the ARmkIā€¦ when some beats just popped and worked immediately and the master compressor was adding so much, and was easy to dial in.

And then the next few beats I absolutely couldnā€™t recreate it.

This might be what you are talking about.

1 Like

nooooOOOOooo donā€™t reel me back in :wink:

1 Like

High highs, and low lows.

Sometimes you need a box like that around though. ( canā€™t decide if I do. )

1 Like

Rytm was actually on the chopping block for me before I caught wind of the DT2.

I recently spent a few months away from it while traveling and when I came back, it felt very foreign to me. This is an extremely subjective experience, obviously.

But the gainstaging and overall handling just took me a while to re-gel with it. Actually I havenā€™t re-gelled yet.

I went through the same separation with Syntakt and just started flying right away on it. Part of that was the limited engines being predictable once you know them, but honestly for me a lot of it was in the overall tonality and dynamics more than anything.

I should just go back to ST, but I donā€™t mind playing with a new shiny thing until the ST maybe gets some of these QOL updates or some kind of MD successor comes out with the new elektron pathway set by DT2.