Digitakt II kits question

Not sure I understand the data structure properly.
Kits are stored in the +Drive, so at a « root » level. So does it mean that all kits are available from any Project ?
If so, is there any chance to remotely load a kit (with sysex) ?
I’m considering using the DT as a « simple » drum machine sequenced externally and holding tons of kits.

1 Like

Yes, they (the explicitly saved ones) are not tied to a project. But projects will have kits within patterns still, ones you can save out. Or ones you can Perform with, I e. Use to create a sticky kit to roll over into cued patterns which temporarily utilise the launch pattern’s kit

2 Likes

You may be able to send a kit to a running pattern as was possible for A4/AR via system, but I don’t think there will be remote loading (by directing to stored kits)

You might have to figure out the right syx structure yourself by comparing with old AR messages, something to target the active pattern. Export a kit and see if it can be redirected to the working buffer … or ask

1 Like

I think a Digitakt 1 as soundmodule would just be fine.
You could just use pattern as kit.

So if you want to change a kit you just change the pattern. Ya know what i mean?

Costs less than a half of digitakt2. sure, you loose some fun too (3rd lfo perhaps), but yeah, lots of kits, finely crafted by yourself.

4 Likes

Already considered but :

• I want more than 128 kits
  • I don’t want auto save

I’m surprised there is no way to automate a kit change. If you want a song to use more than one kit that persists across patterns you have to manually go in and out of perform mode at the right moments? Even in song mode? How well does that work in practice?

2 Likes

Yeah I do this like crazy on the machinedrum (from a DAW) but Elektron stopped documenting sysex messages after MD/MM, sadly.

2 Likes

Not really sure, it’s not a scenario I am likely to come across

You can obviously change the kit of a pattern in a clone of the pattern, but that’s probably not what you need. Whether song mode can be used as you describe I am unsure, if not it’s a sensible FR which is already implemented except for the sequencing of the sticky kit mode … seems doable

Also, in the manual I don’t see any combination to quickly reload the selected kit.
I wonder if it’s possible (like on the machinedrum).
What I wish is to

• load a kit
  • change params
  • reload the kit with a quick key combo, but with no possibility of accidentally saving the modified kit

In this regard, if I remember well the Digitakt 1, there is a strong chance that you save the pattern n stead of reloading it, by accidentally hitting Func + yes instead of Func + no, am I right ?

Also, the manual states that you can load a maximum of 1016 samples to a Project.
These are for p-locking samples right ?
Can anyone confirm that more than 1016 samples are accessible from a Project via the use of kits ?

samples need to be in RAM though, so you have 8 banks of 127 samples (0 is Blank/Off for each bank)

ps RAM bank is a modulatable destination

So groups of RAM banks give a pseudo 8xMEGAKIT of sorts

4 Likes

After reading further the manual, it appears that the Perform Kit Mode is exactly what I’m looking for.
Load a kit, change it, reload it with Kit+No.
accidentally hitting kit+ yes opens a menu, so saving by mistake seems unlikely

5 Likes

Huh, not sure what this involves…

good luck with that, this is something i was awaiting, but nothing like this or speedy (key combo) saving materialised (as per AF/AR etc)

From the manual :

10.10.1 PERFORM KIT MODE ACTIONS

Press [PRESET/KIT] + [NO] to reload the current patterns kit instantly.

Press [PRESET/KIT] + [YES] to save the current patterns modified kit. This will open the SAVE
(KIT) menu. For more information please see “9.3.6 SAVE (KIT)” on page 34.

That you can’t address more than 1016 samples in a given project, relating to your question about that

To hear a sample it’s surely gotta be in RAM, is 1000 not enough ?

2 Likes

It’s what the device does which counts here, and it’s not doing that (nor do i ever recall it doing so) … might be on a todo list ( or i am losing my marbles )

PS: I’ve already asked for clarification, but it may be worth flagging to @eangman IF it’s not up to date and misleading - i could be wrong

1 Like

Well, I’m thinking long term here.
If I replace my Ableton Drum Racks with a DT, I expect to work with this setup for years. And this means possibly playing back songs that were created years before, so potentially accessing a high amount of Kits.
With Ableton Live, this is not an issue, but with a DT, I can’t imagine having to switch between projects in the middle of a performance, especially since I can’t load projects remotely.

i think if this was synthesis only, you’d be in good stead for working towards an externally managed solution - as was doable on older devices by sending a Kit

with samples it gets complicated as they 1) take way more time if being sent (if even doable) and 2) would need to be in the right place if referenced by a RAM position and not loaded

My head fries thinking about how this could go wrong - i can only suggest reaching out on the official news topic whilst the dev team are monitoring that and seeing what roadmap/potential there is for your use case - i might nosey about with pinging things at the DT2 from Max etc (i.e. not Transfer) and see what sticks

1 Like

Hmmm is it the kit reload combo/functionality you are wondering about?

4 Likes