Digitakt For Live Use

Hey guys,

Small disclaimer, ive only got my phone to post atm. So excuse any poor spelling etc.

I was wondering how you would approach creating a liveset with the dt.

Ive got some elektron experience but have never created a live set of the sorts. Basically id like some tips and tricks, do’s and donts as there is obviously a lot of info here.

Few things I’ve settled on:

• 60 minutes of material
  • No laptop, its a limitation thing. And I’d like the set to be less polished as my studio work.
  • Start with only the DT and a LCXL.
  • Ill sort out a nice system for the sound banks, for examples kicks in bank B, hats bank C, and so forth
  • Get the live setup away from the studio and in another part of the house for more focus on either studio writing or performance writing.
  • After a while bring in a small mixer with fx and additional synths ( will figure out what additional elements i need as i go)

Also, im still learning the DT, though it feels very natural as ive used the rytm for almost 2 years. I figured I could start working on the liveset and further learn it more as I go.

So few questions, how to start!? I figured id conceptualise the performance a bit and break it into chunks: intro, main1 main2, outro. But other than that im not sure how to start sketching and at the same time keep it the material contained. Also im not sure how many patterns to use for one track and keep the flow going.

So yeah at this point all tips and findings are welcome. I guess i just need some help to jumpstart ideas and a base to work from.

Cheers:)

4 Likes

Excellent topic! I’ve already used DT in live performance once, and in several private, live group sessions. My work is currently all improv., with two other musicians (both synth / digital).

The set up I use is this:

• Digitakt, sync’d from Ableton over USB (never a crash), audio to Ableton via my sound interface
  • FaderFox UC44 & Launchpad Pro: MIDI control over Ableton, including mixing and downstream effects on the DT
  • Macbook Air running Ableton, with several drum racks & clips, and tonal instruments (played from the LP, not the DT), lots of effects (controlled with the UC44)

This has evolved from my pre-DT days (where I had a Circuit in it’s place) - but with the DT, the Ableton perc. tracks are now filling the role of something to play in transition while I set up the DT for the next section. One downside of the DT (and actually most, all?, hardware units) is that you can’t easily leave a “tail” pattern running, fading out at one tempo, while set up and get ready for the next thing at a different tempo and jump or cross fade to it. There are some techniques to fake on the DT, but perhaps another thread.

The DT is the first box I’ve owned that finally entices me to move away from having the computer. I’d still have the DT & the UC44 (faders for the 8 DT voices!) - but I feel the need for a) something tonal that is synth., not sampled, and b) some more complex effects. I’m thinking that something like an Organelle (or equivalent made from a Bela.io or a Raspberry Pi) could do the trick here - but there is some inertia in getting such a thing set up.

My DT is set up for about a 45 min. set: I have a project with four bank: Bank A patterns are about 133bpm, B @ 122, C @ 110, and D 90 and lower. Each bank has between 2 and 5 “base” patterns. At the start of the set I load this project, then save as, so I can muck with it during the performance. (With 1.03’s temporary area I’m not sure I’ll need to do this anymore.)

Our improv. group doesn’t have a pre-written set structure (we tried, found it constraining). The base patterns I have, and the base patches the other two musicians play, are something we rehearse with - so we know them now well enough to maneuver around during the set. We take particular care to practice cadence and endings.

Lastly, don’t over look the importance of stands! The pictured set up above took a long time to work out, but I found it has a huge effect on my performance: In particular, the table is set so I’m standing, but not bent over - I can look out at the audience and other musicians. The computer stand is set much lower, on the side so that it doesn’t become my primary focus. And the table space is constrained so I’m not tempted to have a sea of equipment.

10 Likes

i’ve hooked up a few different controllers for digitakt which definitely helped.

bcr2000 , lots of dials but its basically 8 rows , i use a row for each channel.
buttons for mute / solo
other buttons for snapping the delay feedback to a little over 100 for the feedback delay buildup.

i also hooked up a beat step pro.
similar layout
set 1 & 3 dials for Delay , laid out to match digitakt
set 2 & 4 dials for reverb.
step buttings 1 - 4 = delay time
5,6,7,8 - feedback values
9,10,11,12 , delay frequency alues.
13,14 for reverb frequency settings.
15 - delay snap to zero , returns to 100 when released
16 - reverb snap to zero , returns to 100 when released.
all linked to channel 14/whatever auto is set to.

top row of pads for mute on/off , each midi channel corresponds to 1-8
bottom row of pads for solo , toggles on/off .each midi channel corresponds to 1-8

as for organising a project, ive just been learning it , so ive currently got each track as a different projec, which wouldnt be so good for playing live due to loading times
I’d probably have some prepared bits in ableton/mp3 player that can go through the inputs into digitakt .
or grab a loop into octatrack/kp3 fx pad and tweak it while it loaded new project.

the kp3 can sync to bpm and sample a 2,3,8 bar loop , so its handy to grab audio , loop it , mangle while you do something else , its cheaper than an octatrack and can do 4 samples at the same time.
its not perfet but ive had some nice results .

3 Likes

Interesting takes on the matter. Ive got some nice pointers from your posts thanks.

As for the pattern/project, I think i will start sketching in bank H chop out a few solid patterns with plenty of interrest to go on for 2-3 min. i should probably make a handfull and see where it goes then from there i might be able to arrange them in bank A in the right order for the set. Intro as A01-A03 hhen rhe second track and so forth.

Good point om the kp3, might look into it though im keen to explore the dt first. The performance doesnt have to be perfect during practice regarding transitions etc.

This time i will start with one unit and buy when truely needed, ive had my share of fantasy purchases in the past.

Thanks for the info!

The less equipment i use, the deeper i dive into it…
At the moment i try only to use my digitakt.
Transition by recording the loop (with all fx send off), and the recorded loop is heart in pattern 1,2and3 of next tune… not really flexible, but works fine.

I hope for a good elektron fx box with looper, or i will buy octatrack again…

I can do this with my kp3 too… looping; and then mixing to next track

1 Like

Cool approach, should try this. though i use the fx to open the mix up and add depth so im not sure it will be best for me.

Anyway good to consider.

Maybe i’ll do oldschool transitions in the patterns itself first. That way i can always substract patterns if needed.

Is copying and pasting patterns around ok? Or can it go sidewaysbreal quick?

One of my recent tracks was resampled section of another
As a project it would’ve been ver few samples / patterns , would’ve suitable to use as transition.

If all projects share samples in them same place ( e.g. Default sounds ) that can keep some continuity…
Would be nice to be able to copy / paste between projects , it might be possible , will try later.

1 Like

I remember it being possible on the rytm. But who knows.

Will try the transition loop method and see how it sounds, it sure is usefull.

It does seem strange that you can copy everything to another project except the kit, even the ability to choose the same kit as another project when setting up a new project would help, I went through a project writing down the kit and its placement just so I could copy to another project, took ages.

This certainly requires a lot of planning. When I prepare for a larger set I first take care of the music and the tracks I will play one by one. After everything is done from a musical point of view I try to find a good play order and identify spots that are suitable for pattern change / breaks etc. I always use one pattern per track and don´t separate a track into different patterns. Keep it simple, keep the overview! Best thing I discovered in ages on my Analog Rytm (I assume that DT has a similar feature) is the “reload on pattern change” function. Then your kit always goes to a setting that you defined first after you changed the pattern. These are “safe spots” in my set, points from which I can continue and come back to later,

3 Likes

Really helpfull thanks! So how many tracks do you usually write for an hours worth?

Really helpfull thanks! So how many tracks do you usually write for an hours worth?

In that set I used 10 patterns.

4 Likes

To all who have used DT in a live performance capacity, was it stable? No crashing? This is my #1 concern with this instrument right now.

It seems stable enough to me now, you just have to tiptoe around the func save project for now and do the manual save project… the crashes other than that are pretty rare and seem pretty predictable… I am a bit surprised we haven’t seen the next patch yet though.

2 Likes

I’m only familiar with A4/AK here. You mean that you can’t do the quick save, you have to go into the submenu and save there? Is this for project only or patterns as well? Forgive the ignorance

It freezes sometimes when you quicksave. Not all the time, and it still saves the project. It only happens with quicksave for projects.

2 Likes

which table is that? i want to look it up and see how tall it goes

I’m hoping the next update will allow you to save projects off device, thus making using 2 DTs plausible.

That table is the boss! Adjusts to three heights: 31", 35" and 42"; comes with a very nice travel bag; surface is very sturdy and won’t flex or wobble if you’re pounding keys or pads on it.

Also comes in a 2 ft x 4 ft version.

2 Likes