Digitakt : External battery / Power pack options?

Hi guys,

Just wanted to share, that I bought a XRPower XT-20000QC3 (it was mentioned above as well), but it doesn’t work properly. DT or DN won’t boot if I only use them on the DC-Output. I have to take some power from one of the USB ports then they will boot, but it’s faulty and they fail sometimes. I will return it.

Amazon.de Link

I think I will go for a bonai and ripcord option.

Greetz

Ben

This is not true, practically speaking. of course, at 12V it only provides 875mA peak current, but I’ve been using a cheap 5V -> 12V step-up converter (~$10) with a regular USB battery pack and its 2.1A (@5V) output, and the Digitakt works just fine. Check earlier responses where tests show that the Digitakt averages about ~450mA draw during operation and spikes to ~900mA at power-up. It’s definitely flirting with the edge, but if it powers up, you’ll be fine.

Here’s the math, for anyone who’s interested:

Typical USB output these days is 2.1A @ 5V, which means at 12V you’ll get 875mA.

5V * 2.1A = 10.5W
10.5W / 12V = 0.875A

This is technically not enough for the Digitakt, which claims to require 1A, but if you look at earlier posts where tests were done, the Digitakt really peaks at 900mA:

This is really toeing the line, but in my practical experience, I’ve never had a problem. You’ll probably have trouble powering it on once you drain the battery a bit, but with a pretty standard 16000mAh battery, this is more of an academic point as you’ll get many, many hours of power.

If you want to be really safe, get any USB bank with a 2.4A (@5V) output and use it with a 12V step-up converter, which will meet the requirements perfectly:

5V * 2.4A = 12W
12W / 12V = 1A

I’ll probably get a new USB power bank with a proper 2.4A output soon, but I’ve had no trouble whatsoever using my old 2.1A battery pack. Hope this helps people who are still confused.

In my experience, the inverters are a very inefficient scheme (DC -> AC -> DC, why???) and the ~fancy~ USB batteries are just as unreliable as any others, and definitely not worth the money unless you really want a barrel jack without using a step-up converter. FWIW, out of all the battery packs I’ve bought over the years, the expensive XTPower one is the only one which failed on me… it stopped accepting a charge after a few months, and they wouldn’t replace it. I wouldn’t bother.

Please also consider that some of these battery packs have “smart charging” technology, so they may adjust the actual current that’s output based on the draw and voltage detected. I just looked at one of my chargers, and it actually outputs 1.25A @ 12V even though it is rated at 2.4A @ 5V. Just make sure your step-up converter can also provide ~1A of current.

5 Likes

@soon_come, what are you talking about? What’s not true?

You said:

PS, all the step up cables 5vdc to 12VDC are useless because the USB power banks can’t supply enough power @ 12VDC. They give max 2.1A @ 5VDC.

This isn’t true. I’m using one.

1 Like

Ahh ok I see, I got the info from one of the manufacturers if I remember correctly.
I never used it. Glad it works

I bought from the same Amazon link, but with the Netzteil option (it’s just an extra as you know, units are same). Always successfully boots DT, Behringer Neutron or Access Virus (I connected only one of them, didn’t tried with connecting more than one). Maybe a faulty unit?

Lovely to know that your enjoying your omnicharge, but if I may ask how are you powering the DT from the omni 20? Is it via the power supply that you get with the DT or are you using a barrel cable dc cable (male to male) from the DT into the omni20? Pls advise with cable suggestions for which I thank you.

My Digitakt and the Ripcord 5V-12V step up cable will only work with powerbanks that supply 3.0A. Will not work with 2A, or 2.4A powerbanks. Just putting this out there.

3 Likes

Got 2 Ripcords 12v cables for my Digitone and my Digitakt!

I have this external battery 3x 5v2.1A : https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B06XCM8DZM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
but it seems to be not enough to power the Digitone, it freezes on the power-on animation. :grimacing:

The Digitakt on the other hand is perfectly working, as it’s less demanding than the Digitone.
I wonder which spec I should look for to buy a USB battery that could power both units.

Do you mind sharing the case that you used? This is exactly the kind of setup I am trying to put together but I am struggling to find a case that is large enough.
Also same question as one of the previous posters - is the lid removable? Thank you!

Sorry for the belated replay. The case is the Magma Carrylite XXL

The lid is removable on mine but there seem to be two versions of it so make sure to ask the seller before purchasing.

Just finished installing Ripcord into my case

Now I am off the grid;)

3 Likes

Hi new DT User here,

will this combo work ?

Charmast Mini Powerbank 10400mAh Portable Externer Akku Quick Charge 3.0 Handy Ladegerät PD Power Bank Dual USB Output für iPhone XS/X/8/7,iPad,New ipad pro,MacBook,Samsung und mehr Smartphone Laptop https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07KXJ99CC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_x-MaEbC1ZMC9S

and a 5v to 12v usb cord ?

The power bank has qc3 with 12v 1,5a outputs…

Just received a charmast 26800ah power bank, which I’m using with the 5v to 12v my volts ripcord but won’t power my Octa Mk2. Seems to send a few blasts then turn off?

2 Likes

Reading through this thread makes me wonder why Elektron doesn’t have their own battery pack that just screws into the VESA mounts on the DT & DN, I would definitely pay $100 or $120 for something like that no problem! Really it seems like a missed opportunity. Please Elektron hook it up!

5 Likes

I just recently purchased an Omnicharge 20+ battery pack. It works wonderfully well for DC powering any single one of my Elektrons. I am interested in powering two machines simultaneously, like Octatrack MkI and Digitone.

I purchased a DC split cable, but how should I set the volts and amps on the battery pack?

Octatrack MkI requires 6 volts and 3 amps. Digitone requires 12 volts and 2 amps. Seems like DC split cannot be safely accomplished, unless maybe… if both machines are powered on at the same time? How does this work?? I don’t want to DC power one machine and HDVC power the other (via the AC output), though that’s another option… but less efficient than DC.

1 Like

Im having the same issue but my power bank is 3.5A i believe. Have you found a solution yet? I literally just received mine. Wont power my OT mkii or my DN.

Bought the anker soundcore in the end, which works well.

I’m using the Anker Powercore 20100 and it works well. Get 4-5 hours per charge.

Can you run two 12v Elektrons off of one of these? Seems like there’s enough amps…