Digitakt - Direct Monitoring (Audio)

As an interface, it can work in stereo for sure. Although the inputs sum to mono inside of the DT (and internally any sampling will also be mono), when you’re using the DT as your interface with Overbridge, it sends the L/R inputs unprocessed to two different tracks (11/12). So if you’ve split your OP-1 L/R channels out, you can maintain the stereo signal recording in your DAW.

2 Likes

Lets bomb them with feature request for this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, so does that mean that I can monitor the OP-1 in stereo as long as I’m using a DAW to split the channels?

Yep! With Overbridge mode on, in Ableton when my DT is set as an ASIO device, for audio tracks I get external inputs 1/2 (the master output of the DT) and inputs 11/12 (the left input/right input of the DT passed through) available. Set two audio tracks in your DAW to 11 and 12, hard pan them left and right respectively, and now when you monitor back in the DT, you’ll get your stereo ins (I actually use two different synths mono in my inputs, but I just re-affirmed that changing the panning in Ableton is reflected back when monitoring through the DT). You should just make sure that you aren’t monitoring “twice” by also monitoring L/R on the DT through the sampling interface.

4 Likes

I messaged the support and they’re “thinking about it”:

But yeah doesn’t hurt to send some more messages!

In the meantime I bought a Mackie 802 mixing desk but it’s a bit of a shame and I would have been glad to save the money and the space…

6 Likes

I mentioned this in another thread back in Sept 18 for exactly the same reasons people are now requesting this here - I want this too. I am still convinced there was a time before an update when LR monitoring was actually stereo and not summed to mono - there is no other reason why I would have set it up as such >

Nobody replied - the thread went dead.

Well the Digitakt does record to mono so it kinda makes sense that the monitoring is mono too, to hear what you’re recording.
But they should have added a pure thru option with stereo because there are a great deal of use cases. The Digitakt sends MIDI it should receive audio properly.

3 Likes

Great :slight_smile:

I am still waiting for my Digitakt to arrive, ordered it yesterday.

But yeah stereo monitoring would be super great. And also be able to route the input to the compressor so one can do full mixes with just the digitakt.

1 Like

@Normalogic

Did you just create a support ticket on the webside or you have an email I can write to?

I created a ticket! It’s the legit way of talking with Elektron’s officials.

3 Likes

I send one too.

I am thinking about getting a Digitone too. And to me it just feels weird to have to feed the sampler into the synth… Instead of feeding the synth into the sampler so you can sample it.

It just makes a lot more sense the other way around synth > sampler.

2 Likes

I’ve asked for the feature too - I understand that when sampling you would want to hear exactly what the sample is going to sound like (I can imagine a scenario where users who didn’t RTFM would email support asking why their samples sound different when sampled)

But I would be more than happy if it were a project setting, something like “live mode” - that wouldn’t let you sample, but would let you input audio in stereo and (for the love of god) set the input gain, since it’s incredibly low when monitoring…
I’m not counting on any FX send but now that I’m thinking about it… if sampling was disabled in this “live mode”, maybe they can use that section (DIRECT) to add a different menu instead (maybe similar to Digitone?)

Doesnt Digitakt normalize any audio recorded to it?

They could make it so you sacrifice a track for an input, and let you use the sends and effect for that track that you sacrificed for the inputs.

well yes, but the input monitoring level is too low - specially if you want to input an external synth, for example

yes I thought of that approach too, although that sounds a bit more convoluted to implement to my ears - one idea I had was that, maybe, above the OFF sample slot, there could be a spot where you could choose audio input instead… but now that I think about it, that would mess up the 127-value limit of MIDI CC’s…
maybe it could be an option on the Project Settings - but that “Live Mode” scenario seems more feasible to me for some reason

Yeah more complicated and going into OT area :slight_smile:

So we should probably not expect that.

Personally I would be happy to simply be able to route a stereo input to the compressor. I dont need the sends and effect really.

I wonder why there are 2 audio inputs in Digitakt…

1 Like

To sum stereo sources to mono.

2 Likes

You can also use it to sample from 2 different mono sources.

3 Likes

i had a Digitone before and am looking into a DT and I just kind of assumed DT would also have that fifth monitor channel. Weird! I don’t even care if it’s mono. I was looking forward to sequencing my mono synth and sending some effects to it.

1 Like

hey friends,

any news on this topic? it would be nice to ask elektron’s directly, with support from the community.