Digitakt - Direct Monitoring (Audio)

I’m new to sampling but surely if you are only able to sample in mono then you want to also monitor in mono so you can hear how it’s gonna sound once sampled? Is the problem here not because people are trying to use the inputs for a different purpose other than to sample, which is what they were designed for right?

I have a question. If the DT only monitors and samples in mono, then why bother plugging in both L and R at all? Why not just plug the left channel, then you can have two synths plugged in at the same time?

2 Likes

You hit the nail on the head. There are a number of people who want to be able to use the digitakt inputs for things other than sampling. But then of course that’s not the intended purpose as you said.

As for utizing the l+r to sample, often I find with the digitakt I am sampling a stereo source and the digitakt sums stuff to mono automatically. Of course I like to do this cause sometime I want my source summed to mono. Hard to explain but I enjoy the way it sounds.

Another use for l+r inputs would be with volcas since they send that split mono signal.

The volcas are a good example, if they only output dual mono (like a fake stereo signal) then why bother using both the L+R inputs on the DT, might as well just sample one channel?

Because you loose half the audio signal only sampling one channel off the volcas. This can cause unwanted noise due to needing to pump the volume up.
From experience if the digitakt isn’t receiving the proper levels there is a lot of line noise while sampling.

You can configure the Digitakt to sample from just the left, just the right, or the sum of both of the inputs…
You can plug in two mono sources, since the monitoring sums to mono they will both come out both outputs…

2 Likes

I’m wondering if they can solve this with a firmware update…

Is this not more a hardware thing?

No it’s firmware from what they nicely answered me. BUT it’s a tough task and they can not promise anything.

It can only be a tough task if the DT is maxed out hardware wise. Any coder worth two cents can take a couple inputs and pan them L-R on the stereo bus.

We need Digitakt Mk2. Throw two processors in there like Digitone and call it a day. I’ll happily (well not happily, begrudgingly, but I’d accept it) sell my DT for $450-500 on the used market to fund a mk2 if that’s the issue here. Glad I saved the OG box. While they are at it, double the RAM and +Drive.

Releasing a mk2 so soon after the OG would be such a bad move for Elektron… That would be like saying “Ok folks, we dropped the ball with the first one… here is the new one and all the customers who bought the OG can suck it !”

Îm pretty confindent they will do stereo monitoring… but it’s just me…

1 Like

I totally agree, mind you and doubt it would happen. But personally, I’d rather that than be saddled with a crippled device.

Problem is, releasing a mk2 would be aknowledging that the OG is indeed a crippled device destined to failing updates… and good luck with reselling your OG at a decent price after such a statement.

But the DT is a mono sampler. To me it makes sense that it would sum to mono instead of passing stereo, or if anything that would be the default behavior with an option to pass stereo.

The DR has input selection for single input recording, allowing you to have two mono devices plugged in, sample them independently, and hear them both from both speakers. It also makes it so if you are sampling a stereo device the sound you hear would be the same as if it were sampled.

If it passed stereo by default than you couldn’t monitor two mono sources, and when you sampled a stereo device you wouldn’t sample exactly what you are hearing…

The update is supposed to come in Feburary or March, to me it’s unreasonable to jump to “they haven’t fixed it because the DT is underpowered” as we don’t even know if they’ve changed it and what else will be different in this pending update… And again, I don’t know if it’s something they think should be “fixed”…

Also as far as I’m aware there’s been no factual statements saying that the digitakt wasn’t designed with enough processing power. The Digitone has two processors, but that doesn’t nesecarilly have anything to do with the DT at all…

Hang in there, I bet the DT will shape up… :slight_smile:

1 Like

People keep looking for a reason to despise the DT…

1 Like

It’s not about stereo sampling which will never come, it’s only about stereo monitoring…

That’s what I was talking about, stereo monitoring, reasons why I think summing to mono for monitoring is a better default scenario for the device, and I referred to implications that could arise if it did monitor in stereo and you were (mono) sampling a stereo device…

(suggesting that an option for stereo monitoring makes more sense than a switch over)

Look at digitone monitoring menu :wink:

I’m sorry, I think you’ve misunderstood what I was saying, it’s no big deal and it’s all good, but if you read it again you should find that the monitoring behavior of the Digitone is irrelevant to the point I was making… :slight_smile:

Your edit makes it clearer for me (sorry if i did not undestand it right). I agree with you. Stereo monitoring should not replace actual behavior but be another option

1 Like

If you are sampling in mono you want to monitor in mono so you can hear what the resulting sample will sound like before you record. If you monitor in stereo then the resulting sample might sound different to the what you heard when you monitored. Adding stereo monitoring to DT would only really be useful to people that want to use the inputs to pass a stereo input thru to the DTs outputs, but that’s not what the unit was designed to do.

1 Like