Digitakt as Looper

Hey everyone,

so who has a Digitakt and is it good for live looping?

If you mean sampling live and creating a loop, it works. It is as good as your timing is I guess. It lacks an option to record a set length (say 1 bar). It would be awesome if they’d add that.

5 Likes

but its not playing the loop directly after recording (that is how I see live looping)… right?

2 Likes

Right. I think it’s currently not very good for live looping. It records either when you press the button to record, or when input goes over a threshold. It records for 33 seconds, or until you tell it to stop. Then there is immediately a workflow to follow; edit, crop, assign.

THEN you can play the sample back.

(I’m a beginner, though - perhaps there are tricks? I would love to have triggered recording and automatic playback / overdub, but I think this is more the domain of the OT.)

2 Likes

yea you’re right, the sampling section is separate from the tracks so you can’t do live looping or overdubding like with a loopstation type scenario.
sampling and assigning is quick and painless but it isn’t a seamless looper.

1 Like

So I found this thread because looking thru the manual left me with no idea…

Can’t set record length to bars? What about re sampling? Record trigs/ resample track or master by pattern length?

No
Yes
No
No

2 Likes

Thanks.

Hmm. Wow. Trim to grid? Guessing no?

So how do you internal resample a bar, etc. pattern then? Free record then trim by hand? Or can you only resample a ‘sound’ - sample and sample engine settings?

The manual left me without answers.

No.

Play the bar, go to direct, set input to internal. All done manually.

Yes

No.

All of my answers are from the manual.

Search the PDF manual for your key words.
When they don’t turn up any results, or only turn up results that do not confirm the features you desire, it is because those features / implementations do not exist.

i.e. “record trigs” , “grid”, “internal”, etc.

As there is no FAQ, you must employ deductive reasoning.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, i appreciate it. I was definitely looking thru the manual for set length etc and didn’t see anything.
Nice at least resample should make a perfect grid size then if set to pattern.

It doesn’t.

There is no “sampling length” to set. Whether resampling or from an external source.
Resampling is only setting the manual sampling audio source to internal.

Length has to be trimmed, manually.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, if you want a seamless live looping solution with exact sampling to a set bar length, look at the Octatrack. It’s built for that specifically with Recording Trigs and instant playback - no need to trim clips or assign to a track in the moment.

has anyone taken another crack at this kinda thing with the latest updates?

You can make perfect loops with the latest firmware, but you can’t play them on the fly. You can prepare a track with a trig, and assign the recording when saving.

The beginning of the recording is still problematic. It can be synced with start using Threshold but it doesn’t seem perfect, especially with a noisy source like an old analog synth…

A way to trigger the recorder quantized, plus an automatic way to play the recording would make a cool looper functionality.
Midi messages to start recording are welcome…

feature-request@elektron.se

3 Likes

if someone were very gung ho about trying it in this way, a boss noise gate pedal or similar might help since it has more configurable gating and less finicky than the native gate inside dt. Only if the issue in question is noise jitter from analog synth triggering dt threshold, not with the rough start problem dt seems to have a little bit from time to time.

Also when I use DI box with analog synth, way more quiet from the noise I usually get.

1 Like

I originally specified it but deleted. :wink:

Anyway I’m confident for next update bringing a new way to start recording. :content:

2 Likes

It would be amazing to get a fully refined per-track live looping feature, it feels like we’re very close to it being a possibility. I wouldn’t even feel the need for overdubbing, if you could record a loop seamlessly to each track. The Blackbox is such a great looper and there’s no overdubbing there.

The latest update was so good that I’m now more hopeful and expecting the unexpected…

1 Like

Will be interesting to see if the DT 2 can be used for live looping :slight_smile: Might still be challenging to switch between tracks while playing the previous pattern in a loop.

2 Likes

Should be, but maybe not played instantly if you have to assign (quantized) recording to a track, with a trig on it.

Still looks like you sample into ram / have to put onto a track via sample pool …so no live looping atm