Digitakt as Looper

I think it should be technically possible, if you can assign the recording to a track before recording. On DT 1, it is 2 button presses to validate and assign the recording iirc.

A 2008 Machinedrum is grinning somewhere

1 Like

Sure - but that’s not live.
And you can’t assign a non existent sample to a sample slot

Why wouldn’t it be possible ?
You can with OT and MD.

That is the missing point for live looping.

I guess you can sample your output while your playing your pattern and assign it to a free track. But if you want to switch to another pattern (to DJ mix between patterns), you need to assign the same track to that sample slot beforehand. I assume it’s doable but a lot less fun and practical than with the OT :slight_smile:

Keep the same kit with DT2. :wink:

1 Like

And have the pattern with a play trig previously selected? so kind of prepare your song before?

how would you do that live without changing to the new pattern and putting a play trig on the track right away and have it on time?

Prepare your live. That the principle for OT recorders and Flex playback.

I didn’t say it will be possible with DT2, I said it should be with dedicated slots like OT buffers, or a possibility to assign before recording. Doesn’t seem the case as is; I hope it will be.

1 Like

It’s not currently possible
It might be in future if they added a new machine and the memory management allows for acces and it triggers record syncs to tempo nd you define loop length blah blah etc etc

I don’t actually care - if I want to live loop I buy a device that can do it now
Ot, sp2400 boss etc

1 Like

Anyway I am happy with the rec quantize feature I was hoping for DT1. 2 button presses after recording and you can playback your loop (trig on target track).

The DT2 quantize feature is apparently rec start with Play (button) or Threshold.
Not convenient at all for live looping ! :zonked:
Oh and I forgot auto normalize, saving process…nevermind…

OK so the same process as with the DTI where you have to tap the rec button on time… So technically maybe possible but too inconvenient.

every Elektron can loop. set the tempo very low, delay feedback to 100 and send everything to the delay. DON’T use the sequencer, just play live.
most flexible are the boxes that can modulate the fx. put an lfo on feedback to cut some stuff out of the loop every now and then.

2 Likes

DT2 allows quantize to the beginning of the pattern, when you press play, so that you don’t miss the perfect beginning.
Ok for internal recording, not great if you want to record fx tails, record midi slave sequencers…

I wish it will be possible to quantize to pattern, with arm possibility. No auto normalize, and pre assign !

2 Likes

Optimistic approach. :wink:

1 Like

i mean set feedback EXACTLY to 100. not even to 101! then tempo to 30 bpm, delay time to quite long. this way it will just loop forever and not explode in your ears :wink:

edit: it’s the same approach that this guy is doing on his korg microsampler:

just using the delay as a looper and triggering random sounds from the korg and that roland box. then for example around 5:20 you can see how he “deletes” little bits of the loop by playing the feedback knob.

2 Likes

Thanks for delay trick, but not as powerful as a pre-plocked and sliced recorded loop !

2 Likes

maybe not but it is really lots of fun. when i had the syntakt i did this a lot. sent everything to the fx track, fx track into the delay, then slow LFO on filter freq or distortion and a super fast negative LFO on delay feedback, playing LFO depth manually. you could also have the FX tracks empty sequencer running at the same time, with only trigless trigs with different p-locks on LFO depth, multiplier, filter, everything basically. got some very random gritty beats this way that i would never have come up with using the sequencer.

3 Likes