Digitakt And Virus Ti in DawLess setup... stable?

Well digitally they are identical and upwardly patch compatible, So the only difference is between the DACs used. Personally I don’t put much into that, any character difference due to DACs doesn’t come anywhere near in comparison to the capabilities of a TI to be meaningful. Just having unique effects per channel Is very significant, the FX section on the TI is amazing and you can dedicate a channel just as an fx unit using the inputs.

I would like a B or C at some point though if I ever see a bargain, but they are overpriced I think these days with a TI not much more and given the choice the TI is a no brainer for the sheer scope of what it does. I would be surprised if you don’t absolutely love it, and doubt you will be wishing you got a B instead :slight_smile:

The other difference is guaranteed polyphony on the B vs the TI, but in reality I don’t find that’s a problem in the way I use the TI.

1 Like

Incidentally, if you can get it to work I would highly recommend at least playing around with VC, it makes it very easy to explore the architecture of the synth to get an overview. I do tend to edit using the hardware which I prefer, but VC is a great way to see what’s there and how it all connects visually.

1 Like

Agree totally, i started at first trying to get a scope by diving directly into the box. I did get lost until i got familiar with the TI plugin and once i was familiar with the plugin, the synth interface made sense. The scope was lost on me pre TI plugin.

1 Like

my TI arrived, really loving it so far. i just had a go at using sequencer mode and it works like a charm however i can’t work out how to save my preset selections. i’m not finding the manual much help. any tips?

nevermind, i think i’ve figured it out - you store to multimode and then resave again from there.

Sequencer Mode is really a super simple mode used for the TI plugin, using it outside of that it relies on storing the program changes on the Elektron box and using CCs for the levels etc. You might as well just use multi-modes if you are storing the programs on the Virus tbh.

Glad you like it!

1 Like

roger that, i think i’ll start using multimode. really great it stores any individual patch edits all in one go.

have you had any issues updating before? on boot up, it looks like i’m behind. OS reads 3.3.4.
i’m using mac sierra and i’ve read a few threads about people bricking their units. not sure i want to risk it!

Never heard about that, I would definitely update you are missing A LOT of great features. Never had an issue myself.

EDIT I’m pretty sure it will update automatically when you install the VST from memory.

I was hoping to update without the need to install anything on my computer. Going to have read up on the process. I’m allergic to software lol

Hi Kosmology,
Thanks a lot for all the details you share with us.
Can you give me a little bit more help regarding “Bank change only happens when program change is changed and it will only be sent once unless stopped and started”
I don’t quite understand how to implement this.
I tried to P-lock cc32 in vain.

My goal is:

• having Midi A and Midi B sending to midi channel 1 (part 1 on virus snow) each one with a different program
  • be able to mute Midi A or Midi B and getting the related program changed at the beginning of the 16 step of the sequence.

Thanks in Advance.

…why 2 channels of MIDI on the DT?
There could be a reason for you doing that, but I can’t think of one…and sending A and B could get conflicting if A and B are sending different values for the same cc#.

if one sound, at one time, is all you need from the snow on the first voice, then just change the program number in the DT page (src i think from memory) in the individual DT patterns, and when you change DT patterns the virus patch will change…

If you want a hard swipe from on sound to the next the virus does this thing though where it lets the sound of the patch fade out naturally when you change patches so there is no jarring swap or gap of sillence if there is a long reverb or amp env release time there will be a blend of the new patch and old patch simultaneously, to abruptly switch make sure the amp env in the virus has a short tail and no long reverb send. Both of which you can automate from the DT if you wish…

I will try this when I’m home…ignore the cc32 thing that’s bank only anyway…should be easy to do

sorry to bump this thread but maybe someone can help me out.
I’m setting up my Faderfox UC4 as to control some parameters from the Virus Snow (I’m using both as a synth and as an FX processor for the DT).
I’ve successfully mapped lots of parameters, but I can’t understand if it’s possible to map Mix and Frequency from the Frequency Shifter effect (from the Filterbank section)
I was trying to set Controller 15 in the Mod Matrix to modulate these parameters, but I can’t quite make it work… has anyone managed to do this? can’t quite understand if these parameters are accessible (there’s two filterbank parameters in the mod matrix that I thought would be equivalent)

I’d try to modulate it with an lfo or another reliable source in matrix first, then a controller.

Sold and sent my Virus today!

On the Virus you cannot select Filter Bank Mix as a destination in the Mod Matrix.

But you can set one of the 3 soft knobs destination to Filter Bank Mix.

It might then be possible to use a MIDI CC from an external controller to activate the Virus’s control soft knob (not sure if this is possible).

I couldn’t manage to do this… I can assign Frequency Shifter Freq, but not the mix - even if I could assign it to soft knobs, there’s no way I could then map those soft knobs…
I don’t think this combination is possible, but oh well

If you can check midi out with a midi processor. It’s probably requiring a sysex, hence doable…

afaik I can’t send any kind of sysex messages with my Faderfox UC-4 so… I’ll probably let that go. Not that big of a deal - I already mapped more than enough effects - HPF, reverb, delay, a macro for chorus and another one for a waveshaper distortion :nerd_face:

1 Like

It is definitely possible to directly assign Filter Bank Mix to a soft knob. You don’t do this in the Matrix tab but in the Common tab.

When in standalone mode (i.e not being used TI inside a DAW), the soft controls can also be set to transmit a MIDI CC (as well as what you have set them to do inside the Virus). I think that when they are set as such they may also respond to the same MIDI CC from an external source. I will check this when I get a chance.

I have just checked and no you cannot do what you want for Filter Bank Mix, or any of the other modulation destinations which can only be accessed by direct soft knob control.

You can do it for the modulation destinations that can be selected in the Matrix because there is a small range of MIDI CC numbers that you can select for the source.

2 Likes

that’s what I suspected, thanks a lot for taking the time to check! :white_heart:

1 Like