Digitakt addition

For beginner I’d suggest a synth with easier interface and “knob per function” design, something like Nord A1 or Moog Grandmother or Korg MS-20 or Dreadbox Erebus, NYX, etc…

It is still very fun + it will help to understand synthesis better + it will help to understand DT better + it’s still possible to use it with DT + it will help to understand DN later and basically any other synth : )

1 Like

And after comes the addiction : )

1 Like

Thanks @Tajnost, but these devices are much more expensive than the Digitone…? And isn’t analogue (Moog Grandmother) suppose to be even more difficult than digital (Digitone)? Maybe I’m not making any sense ;-)…

Thanks @Lauli. No video doesn’t cover that. Get back to work, you… :slight_smile: Thanks!

1 Like

Which Volca, Roland, Boutiques etc would you suggest, @CCMP if you had to pick one to add to the DT, Novation setup?

Depends… not necessarily more expensive… I guess grandma goes more or less for the same price, and Korg MS20 or Odyssey Or Novation Bass Station 2 are cheaper than DN…

And no - analog synth is much easier to understand and get familiar with…

1 Like

I would go for something multitimbral that is flexible but also easy to learn.
Digitone is a good choice, it is flexible, sounds great and you have already learned at least half of it by using the Digitakt. FM is just always quite unpredictable.
As mentioned before also a Virus would make sense because it is ticking my prior boxes. It can basically do everything and is multitimbral in multi mode. And having so many knobs is a hell lot of tun as well! I have a Virus B that sounds great and is rather cheap to find on the used market.
Of course, you could also pair it with something like for instance a Volca but then I guess without multimode (and monophonic at worst) you would be getting more GAS really soon wanting a second synth, then a third … it’s a vicious circle!
Blofeld might be a look worth as well.

1 Like

I’d probably get the Roland SH01 or JU06 if I was going for hardware.

But, without wanting to complicate it for you, my first port of call would be to add the USB camera port thing and an iPad… a Digitakt/iPad combo gives you a TON of options that’s well worth exploring.

1 Like

Thanks @Tajnost!

Thanks, @chain25!

Zero regrets making the same decision 2
Years back: Digitone. Occasionally i use a kick from the digitone but 99% non percussive sounds. They fit nicely together, same dimensions, similar workflow. User can decide if DT or DN is master or slave. 4 synth tracks and as far as FM synthesis goes, plentora of factory presets on board, along with downloadable free/paid soundpacks to start with as a newbee. Trial and error on those to get different sounds and become familiar with synthesis. As long as you learn yourself to save projects on both machines with the same filename the feel is they act as one machine.

2 Likes

@CCMP, trying to avoid touch screen devices. Thanks for the tip though.

Thanks, @tubefund!

The Digitone is an awesome synth for bass, leads, pads and drums. Yes FM can be different and maybe difficult to understand but since you are new to synthesis maybe it’s the right time for you to get it. Get into FM before you become accustomed to any other type of synthesis. Truth be told the Digitone is not that hard to learn. It’s probably the most approachable FM synth ever made and it’s actually a hybrid synth. Part FM part Subtractive. Just explore and have fun with it.

1 Like

…tone is a nobrainer…same formfactor…same concept…pairs up pretty decent with a takt…
and nope…one of the great things about the dtone…u don’t need any clue about fm synthesis to get u elsewhere sonically…and hey, drumsynthesis can go way beyond all sampling…while sampling again can go way beyond the rhythmical one shot thing…
so, some synth IS the perfect addon for NOW and hell yup, the dtone does the earthshakin’ drums and basslines as easy as otherworldly pads of aaaal kind and hardwire takkin’ arp storms…
always matchin’ within scales ur free to define…
8 voices can stack up and steel from each other in realtime various defintion ways and ur already aware what that sequencer engine is capable to do…
and u’ll be surprised big time, once u hear it working it’s plockable skills on a synthengine…

don’t get into that volca and roland direction…always great one trick ponys with a guaranteed dead end road point…the tone gets deeper and deeper, the longer u dive into it…
best bang for the buck…promise.

2 Likes

Hi all
First post here…
I have been enjoying the digitakt for some weeks …really an amazing and inspiring piece of gear.
I have the same doubt machaca78 has…expand the rig with the digitone or not? So this thread is extremely useful…
Some of you mentioned the mood app on the iPad…they look nice…how do they sound? They might be a good way to expand the digitakt palette in an unexpensive way…
Thanks

Everybody, ton of thanks for all your input so far! I’m leaning towards Digitone, but am not in a hurry. As mentioned by others, I really need to explore the DT more…

1 Like

Great advice bro. Thanks for this!

I swear the topic name was Digitakt Addiction before I get in haha

As @DaveMech and @craig said earlier, rather than getting another synth, get some experience with Digitakt itself. It is really capable as a monosynth and a loop player/mangler. Resampling chords takes a little more time but it’s better than getting another synth and try to learn the Digitakt and a synth at once.

I see you’re a guitar player as well. One thing the Digitakt can’t do is live sampling, you can always sample you playing a chord progression and cut the edges of it but it is a hassle and not really suited to improvisation if you’re up for it.

You can get a MIDI controlled looper (something like Ditto x4 or Pigtronix Infinity Looper) and sequence the loop points like @AldoVino does. It works great!

2 Likes

A good companion for the Digitakt could also be a Micromonsta (possibly with a Keystep37).
It’s bitimbral, cheap, sounds awesome, and easy to control.
The Keystep is an incredible bang for the buck, that you’ll be able to use on the DT and on the MM.

As said above, try to keep your setup minimal enough, you can loose yourself in too much new stuff at the same time.

2 Likes