Digitakt addition

Hi there, sorry for this new thread, but I think my question is slightly different than the other “what are the best addition…” questions.

First off: I’m really new to the whole electronic music making world. I have been playing drums (and a bit of guitar) for decades though. So I’m really a drum/rythm based musician.

I just purchased my first electronic music production piece of hardware; the Digitakt. Am playing with it for a couple of weeks now and am really loving it. But now I think it’s time to look for some expansion.

I’d like to add some melody (chords and stuff) to my drum beats and am looking for a solid addition to the Digitakt.

Off course I have checked out the Digitone, but I often see it refered to as a device for creating drum sounds… But isn’t that what the Digitakt is all about? I know the Digitone is an FM synthesizer. But, as you can tell, I am not all familiair with FM synthesis. I am more than willing to learn this FM synthesis stuff, if that is what it takes. But are the Digitone and Digitakt really complementary to each other?

So my current setup is a Digitakt and a Novation Impulse 25 midi keyboard. What would be a nice addition to this?

Music styles that inspired me to go electronic: Daft Punk, Justice, Beastie Boys…

Try a Volca Keys or something. You know, just for testing melody & chord things out – they‘re not expensive and you can get quite a bit of mileage out of them.

The Volcas are of course not such deep-dive sound design devices, more bread & butter, I guess. But very fun bread & butter haha

2 Likes

Absolutely.
I wouldnt worry about the drum synth comments, pretty much any synth is good for making drum sounds. You dont have to.

Since you have the midi keyboard, you’ll love the digitone, the velocity and after touch mod sections are crazy.

And since you already have the Digtakt, you already know the digitone sequencer and the Elektron way. Digitone is killer, I love mine. Get one.

8 Likes

Love this forum! Thanks @Lauli for replying so quick! And thanks for the tip!

Thanks @Microtribe, your reply is very usefull. Thanks!

I thought this thread was called Digitakt Addiction, which is something I can relate to.

Personally I use the Digitakt with an Erica DB-01 which is lovely for hands-on creation of basslines and melodies, plus it’s the perfect match for the DT’s external mixer with delay and reverb. I also use all eight of the DT’s MIDI tracks to sequence a Virus B in multi mode.

5 Likes

Your Digitakt is a sampler so you can create melodies, etc, using it. Sample synths from YouTube, etc and then edit to create something new. Single cycle waveforms are interesting to explore too.

With regard to additional synth options, if you have an iPad, you could look at the relatively inexpensive options from companies such as Korg with classic synth emulations. You could sequence with your DT and / or sample into the DT. Korg Gadget 2 is a great place to start.

G

5 Likes

Using the digitakt just as a drum machine is a bit of a waste really :). It can do so much more than that. You can use tracks as mono synths, you can resample chords and then use those etc. As has been said, it’s a sampler so you can sample synth sounds into it and play those. You can build complete tracks in the digitakt.

Digitone is a perfect compagnon for the digitakt. It’s an FM synth so you can create all sorts of sounds with it. Drum sounds sure but all the other stuff as well . Lush pads, harsh machinery, beautiful plucky stuff, and even analog type sounds.

But if I were you I’d try to get a bit more out of the digitakt before adding another instrument. It will mearly divide your focus and it will take a bit longer to really master the digitakt. And another upside of sticking with the digitakt for some time is that you’ll get a better idea of what you are really missing and want to add to the mix.

14 Likes

Dont listen to em!
Get a digitone.
Drum machines for drummin, synths for groovin.

6 Likes

@Claid, @G4s, @DaveMech, @Microtribe, thanks all for replying! I hear you all ;-)!

I get what @DaveMech is saying (dank je ;-)…). Haven’t had the Digitakt that long and I should surely explore it more. What can you do with a midi controller keyboard, connected to the DT? The whole midi part is a big blur to me still…

@Microtribe, hahaha, I get you too :-). Since money isn’t that big of an issue, I’d probably opt for that…eventually… :-)…

@G4s, I also read about the iPad options, but I prefer to stay away from touch devices. Thanks for the tip though!

@Claid, you mention the Erice DB-01 for creating basslines. Would the Digitone also be suited for this? Creating bass lines?

1 Like

You can create almost anything with the digitone. It’s a synthesizer :slight_smile: but FM isn’t the easiest form of synthesis to start with. That’s why it’s definitely better to first explore how to use digitale as a subtractive synth for example, to learn a bit more about synthesis. Before dividing your focus.

Have fun either way. Both great instruments :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Digitone is great for bass! That said, I love the simplicity and knob-per-function of the DB-01, I find the Digitone complex to handle alongside the Digitakt. @DaveMech is a master of both though so it can definitely be done!

1 Like

You should check out some of the other options out there, such as the Roland JU-06A or SH-01A, which can both do chords, melodies, pads, bass, etc. The sliders and knobs are much easier to understand than the multiple pages of parameters on Digitone – not that the latter is all that hard to learn, as it’s one of those change things and see what happens synths. But a couple of weeks with your Digitakt doesn’t seem like all that long to really explore it. It is essentially a subtractive synthesiser that uses samples instead of oscillators, and by looping certain samples, it’s easy to create synths sounds.

3 Likes

Thanks, @DaveMech. I really appreciate your advice on this.

Thanks @Claid!

I have been googling other options, and have seen there’s a ton… As I look at it now, I am really not planning on expanding my arsenal with a lot other devices. I was thinking of adding one piece that would make it complete. And you’re absolutely right, I haven’t been exploring the DT long at all.

1 Like

I’d echo what @craig said, if you wanted a synth sound source go for something with a friendlier UI and learn to use the Digitakt.

I went down this road myself at the beginning of the year and was back and forth with the Digitakt for at least 5 months before I properly ‘got it’… I have a Digitone now too, and can 100% guarantee you will complicate things for yourself a whole lot more in the short term if you add one… when you have a decent understanding of the Digitakt it’s a lot easier to transition to/add the Digitone.

You’ve got 8 dedicated midi tracks to play with on the Digitakt… as others have said, Volcas, Roland Boutiques, Behringer… all have user friendly options you can cut your teeth with with the DT (and explore the sampling side).

I’d also recommend looking for a cheap multi-timbral module, JV-1080, etc… so you can fully utilise the DT midi tracks.

3 Likes

You know, when I watch tutorials like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HM_oCzY3fI this on how to use the MIDI tracks, people always use synthesizers hooked up to the DT. I guess this is what the MIDI tracks are designed for, isn’t? That’s why I am already checking out additions…

Thanks @CCMP, I think you just answered my last question.

1 Like

Well you can also plug a MIDI cable from the Digitakt into itself and let the unit control itself. Additional LFOs and whatnot.

edit: oh uhm, maybe this is covered in the video? Can’t watch that, at work atm.

2 Likes