Digitakt 1.30 : Bug reports

On a sine wave I am hearing the clipping go away with full negative gain once the sample level gets turned down to about 49 on EQ1 but it is quite low at that point given you are also taking away volume with the EQ.

After updating my DT to 1.30 I’ve noticed that the there is something wrong with the LFO and the trig conditions.

I put a trigless trig at the end of the 2nd bar of a 4 bar pattern, and used it to create a filter sweep using the ramp LFO wave.

No matter what trig condition I select (1:2, 3:5 etc) the LFO triggering the filter seems to not follow the trig condition. So for example the filter sweep will be activated under the 2:2 condition even when the condition is plocked at 3:5.

Anyome had similar behaviour?

Damnit, I can’t keep myself away from things like this!

Ok so, few findings:

1. Sine sample in factory content is 100% correct.
  2. It clips regardless of Sample Level - try sample level 1 and normalize the sine.
  3. All EQ settings have these issues, it’s just more narrow at EQ5, making the effect less noticeable.
Pictures

Original sine sample, played through Digitakt without any filter - beautiful!

EQ filter with negative gain - yikes!

Sample level is down to 8 here - issue remains. (Notice noise floor from post-gain)

Here we see EQ 5 - subtle but not pure! Notice the overtones.

22 Likes

anasine through the octaves – clean, then with eq1 (100 freq, -64 gain)

1 Like

Just to see if I can reproduce it as well: what tool / software are you using to create pictures like this of the output of the digitakt?

anasine is the wrong sample, the pure one is called sine.

It’s still a sine, almost, but it might have some distortion by default.

This isn’t low level distortion with sine only. It distorts with many samples containing low freqs. This is another example.

also noticed it with the compressor… but that might just amplify the (or another?) problem

Very interesting findings everyone, looks like a bugfix release is in our future!

I’m to lazy to post all the pictures again, but I confirmed all your findings.

Negative gain also results in distortion on all EQ filters.
The waveforms look a bit different on my end, but the overtones are there.

This is EQ_5 with negative gain, not pure indeed:
EQ 5 negative gain

If while fixing this the team could also take care of letting Pitch Bend and Modwheel pass through THRU, that would be awesome. Not per se a bug. But a strange limitation, really.

4 Likes

For the sake of “let’s see if I can reproduce these EQ filter artefacts on my Digitakt too” I unfortunately have to say yes…

The base-width filter and LP / HP seem fine, but the EQ filters are not. The artefacts that are noticaeble are related to the filter frequency it seems, so ithey are louder and/or softer depending on different (not directly related to the tone) FREQ parameter values.

Thanks to Ess and DreamXscape for the methods they posted how to check this.

Details

I used the factory SIN sample on tone C4 (261hz) and in example one I disabled the filter, in example two I cutted some frequences using EQ-2. The artefacts that are produced are pretty noticable and I can’t imagine this is how these EQ filters are intended.

Both samples are recorded via USB (class-compliant mode) directly into Ableton Live.

SIN sample C4, no filter

SIN sample C4, EQ-2, freq 48, gain -64

3 Likes

I got a reply from Elektron support acknowledging the issue, so it’s something they are aware of and working on. Hopefully it should be wrapped up before too long

8 Likes

when in step recording mode, pressing FUNC should bring up the chromatic keyboard. Now not any more. instead, when pressing FUNC button, it switches tracks.

I believe that is the new mode in step record mode you are running into function + track should toggle between the new mode and chromatic. The new mode let’s you step record multiple tracks at once.

ahhhh ok - thank you(!)
I watched a recent YouTube tutorial video but these are not accurate any more.
Page 30 in the manual. I have, once in step rec mode, to additionally press FUNC + TRK to activate the chromatic mode keyboard. Only then i can enter notes. lesson learned :slight_smile:

1 Like

Running into what may be a DT bug.

I have my DN set as Master, but I’m using the DT midi mutes to control all the mutes for both boxes. I’m also, in some patterns, assigning a DT cc knob to add a 3rd LFO to a DN track. I’ve noticed that occasionally, when switching from a pattern that has a DT to DN LFO to one that does not have the LFO, the DN still acts as if the LFO is coming in. It’s the strangest thing. It’ll stop if I unplug the DT midi that goes in to the DN, but then restart when I plug it in. I haven’t been able to recreate this yet, but I’m assuming it’s a bug with the DT since unplugging it stops it. If I stop and start the track up again, it may or may not do it.

MIDI + LFO came on the table already.

What if on the next pattern you put a trigless trig on the midi track and make sure LFO depth is 0 on this CC?
Not sure if it’s a bug indeed, unless it is really erratic.

Ya. This is different than what he has going on. Mine stays running on a completely different pattern with the LFO completely unassigned. A triggerless trig locking the CC1 value seemed to stop it. With that said, when it first happened and I tried moving CC1 manually, it jumped all around because the DT was still sending the LFO.

1 Like

Any word on the Overbridge syncing issue? Using OB 2.0.58, Ableton 10 on Windows 10, I have had clock related issues. Temp briefly speeds up for 2-3 seconds, and then goes back. However, sometimes when this happens, my Digitakt simply stops, even though Ableton continues to play. The DT’s tempo gets reset to 120. My Digitone continues to play fine. If I stop Ableton and start it again, my Digitakt ignores it. This has happened repeatedly and often enough to kill my session…it’s a real bummer, because I run pretty much entirely hybrid…my DT and DN sequence everything else, and Ableton is my master clock/mixer/effects unit.