Digitakt 1.30 : Bug reports

In the first example the bottom does look to be clipping a bit more to my eye than the top also. EQ1 boosting the most content it is harder to say if the other EQs aren’t acting under the same principle aswell, them being more subtle based on the range boosted? I would be curious if you crank the sample level to 127 on the sine to see if the others start to clip and if you can start to see a difference in symmetry. Also would be curious if the results might differ on a non wavetable sine? There very well could be something up with EQ1 but it could be the built in sine.

Just took the time to count pixels on the factory sine and the bottom wave has 12 at the lowest point while the top has 10, maybe we are just seeing an exaggeration of this? Pretty sure the factory sine is not mathematically perfect.

It’s on 127 for all the examples I posted.

The factory sine is perfectly symmetric:
pure sine
The top and bottom match up to .01dB in my recording, I can’t measure more precise.

Maybe a spectral analyzer would be more appropriate to show the distorsion.
A good modus operandus would be seeking the gain level for which the distorsion is gone.

Hello, i‘m quite new here, sorry for any obvious lack of knowledge :sweat_smile:

Talking about ‚waiting with the upgrade‘ and making a backup: the ‚new way’ of making a backup sounds awesome with Transfer 1.4. but i need the latest OS for that.

So what would be a proper (and SAFE!) way to backup my whole DT how it is right now without Transfer 1.4?

Thx guys.

Typically these EQ cutting/boosting tools are made by adding or subtracting a bandpass signal onto the original signal.
It could very well be a headroom issue in the bandpass itself, that translates onto the combined signal – “could”, who knows, there are many things going on in digital IIR filters, the distortion could be coming from a lot of places.

Before Digitakt OS 1.21A there wasn’t an easy way to do a backup. You can try ELK Herd, which is a third party tool.

You can also upgrade your digitakt to 1.21A first and use the new transfer 1.4 to backup your digitakt projects before going to 1.30. (Tip: save your projects in each revision of the os, and also make a backup of the projects in each revision of the os).

2 Likes

I think the ‘E’ is the bootstrap (bootloader) version.

3 Likes

Do you see the same results when you record the Digitakt using the digital USB output? (Just to rule out any external factors)

Can anybody please tell me if it’s a feature that LFO still gets sent from MIDI track if it’s muted? Or is it a bug… :slight_smile:

Hmm… or it had to do with global mute mode and pattern mute mode… do they operate in parallel?

Audio from iPad over USB clicks – it’s also in the recording.

I wouldn’t trust the waveform display on the Digitakt to make that conclusion. :slight_smile:

EDIT: (I assume it takes the sample data and squeezes it into the available pixel space)

7 Likes

Thanks a lot, didnt know that 1.4 works with OS 1.21A! Can you explain in short what you mean with the revision-tip!? Is is some sort of option while doin the backup? :thinking:

1 Like

Haha yeah I suppose you’re correct… I loaded in a sine wave from hardcore and it looks exactly the same on the digitakt screen.

1 Like
  • First update to 1.21a and check your projects
  • Save the projects when they sound fine
  • Backup the projects with transfer 1.4
  • Update to 1.30 and check your projects again
  • Save them when they are fine
  • Create another backup with transfer 1.4

So you keep backups of your projects for each revision (version) of the os.

1 Like

Ah ok, now i gotcha! Thanks!!
I guess i will wait with 1.30 though… and see whats discussed here!

On a sine wave I am hearing the clipping go away with full negative gain once the sample level gets turned down to about 49 on EQ1 but it is quite low at that point given you are also taking away volume with the EQ.

After updating my DT to 1.30 I’ve noticed that the there is something wrong with the LFO and the trig conditions.

I put a trigless trig at the end of the 2nd bar of a 4 bar pattern, and used it to create a filter sweep using the ramp LFO wave.

No matter what trig condition I select (1:2, 3:5 etc) the LFO triggering the filter seems to not follow the trig condition. So for example the filter sweep will be activated under the 2:2 condition even when the condition is plocked at 3:5.

Anyome had similar behaviour?

Damnit, I can’t keep myself away from things like this!

Ok so, few findings:

1. Sine sample in factory content is 100% correct.
  2. It clips regardless of Sample Level - try sample level 1 and normalize the sine.
  3. All EQ settings have these issues, it’s just more narrow at EQ5, making the effect less noticeable.
Pictures

Original sine sample, played through Digitakt without any filter - beautiful!

EQ filter with negative gain - yikes!

Sample level is down to 8 here - issue remains. (Notice noise floor from post-gain)

Here we see EQ 5 - subtle but not pure! Notice the overtones.

22 Likes

anasine through the octaves – clean, then with eq1 (100 freq, -64 gain)

1 Like

Just to see if I can reproduce it as well: what tool / software are you using to create pictures like this of the output of the digitakt?