Digitakt 1.20 : Bug reports

This is a hugely annoying and disappointing change. I’ve always worked that if I want the synth program to stay the same when I change pattern I just don’t put any value in the program number, and it just starts where it was on my external synths, but when I go back to the first pattern with the program number saved in the track it would reload my patch, like going back to a verse after a chorus. Now it doesn’t. Now I have to go to a new pattern with a p-lock to a copy of the original synth patch. Twice as complicated, half as useful. A really bad idea. Please change this behaviour back!

calling @eangman !

It’s not a bug - it’s mostly semantics - pressing and holding Func to see the keys could be a little clearer explained granted - it wouldn’t make any sense to toggle it on permanently, so it seemed obvious to me, but i see your point

It was changed a year ago and is not new for OS 1.20. It would, of course, be good to have an option for if the same program change should be repeated or not but I’m not sure of the possibilities for that.

1 Like

Yeah I know it isn’t a new thing, I had to go through all my live set projects and change things last summer, making copies of external synth patches, moving to new patterns rather than back to old ones. Would be lovely to have the old way back.

Yeah I guess it could be a little clearer there so that people dont think its a function that toggles. Would be a very strange key combination for a toggle though since it would also place a trig :slightly_smiling_face: I will fix it. Thanks for bringing it up!

5 Likes

Right so Iv’e hooked up the DT to 2 midi devices here for the very first time EVER! Jomox M.Base11/M.Brane 11

Although everything seems tight there’s a problem with midi.

Changing patterns skips the first beat of the pattern then kicks back in - not good

Yes everything is set up right my end and all is working except the issue highlighted above… please tell me this is user error on pattern changing with midi devices and not a bug or it’s no good for live skipping the first beat in every pattern changed.

Thanks

When using DT with bitwig or reaper on a linux machine as a class compliant interface it works fine for a couple of minutes, then audio goes silent (meters keep bouncing though). After stopping and restarting audio-backend operation works again for a short period of time. Found a very similar issue-post about model:samples (with MacOS) some time ago but couldn’t respot it now. There they talked about it could be an usb-cable issue, but I doubt that, as I use the ones shipped with the DT.
Are there similar issues on other platforms/workarounds?

I’m sorry to tell you, but that’s a bug that has been there since the earlier firmware releases.
Although it wasn’t on every pattern change.

Oh :flushed:

Kicking DT as main sequencer back to more reliable MPC X

Thanks should’ve read up on this before purchase - user error :roll_eyes::rofl:

never noticed it before 1.20 but i am able to consistently crash the device by using overbridge vst, and changing song position within ableton.

edit - I want to add this other information too so maybe it’ll save someone haha. So my digitakt crashed as i stated above by playing around with the song position in Ableton. I had not saved in Ableton, nor on the Digitakt.

So DT crashes, makes Ableton get the death wobbles (overbridge and the midi interface of the DT crapping out) so i got the hour glass pointer and the DT grinds to a halt. So im drunk and very stoned and make the bad decision to SAVE ableton at this point, shut off the DT and restart Ableton, ASSUMING that the DT information was stored in the plugin (the pj file had not been saved yet at this point which im assuming is why the plugin had not attempted to sync).

So Ableton restarts and DT powers on, reload the Ableton PJ, here’s where i royally screwed myself…
Instead of syncing from the DT into the plugin, I went from plugin to DT, and pretty much wiped out the last instance of my song data. The DT will remember what was in the ram so to speak even after a crash, and if you have not saved, that is where your data is.

So lesson learned and why I spent 6 hours trying to get a sequence back that I ended up never being happy with as much as my pre-crash stuff.

Oh man I told you introducing those Jomox bits to your Digitakt setup was going to make it more complex than it needed to be, just use the Digitakt for now without those modules and enjoy what an amazing machine it is! Load up some great drum sample packs from elektron or mars or whatever, the synthesis inside the Digitakt is totally capable of shaping them in whichever ways you desire.

You were right Hawk… I think working with Elektron boxes has the best stability but adding the Korg Radias R to the Digitone Keys was a good move. The Korg changes patches via Midi CC from Digitone Keys P-Locks instantly, Jomox is kind of dodgy midi lol…

Starting to use samples from Kick 2 and importing them to Digitakt, works perrrrrfect.

1 Like

Ah good to hear the setup is running smoothly now, instant patch change is crucial. You’re going to have so much fun! Your setup is looking real cool with the Boss units too.

looks like elektron has fixed some bugs in 1.20A.
thank you for the quick response!

https://www.elektron.se/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Digitakt_OS1.20A_readme.html

3 Likes

Yeah! Mine was fixed as well, thanks!
The active pattern page was reset to 1:4 when changing tracks in GRID RECORDING mode.

However, everybody, is the following a bug?

Let’s say I have Digitakt and Strymon BigSky. [DT Midi Out -> BigSky Midi In]

1. I mapped my BigSky to Track 10 / MIDI Channel 10.

2. Then on a specific pattern on Digitakt I chose Bank = 1 and Program = 34 for BigSky. BigSky immediately selected the program according to my choice.

3. Now if I change the program on BigSky, Digitakt doesn’t know about it, and that’s ok, so on step 1 I put a single yellow trig where I specify Program Value = 34, which is equal to what was selected above for the whole pattern. I expect that since I specified it directly, no matter how then I change programs on BigSky, it will send “34” anyway.
    To summarize, at this point I have Program value for pattern = 34, the trig where I set Program value = 34, and BigSky with program value = 35.

4. And here it seems that Digitakt, when triggers the trig, sees that it’s “34” which equals to pattern’s “34” and says “oh, nevermind, they’re the same, not gonna send anything to BigSky”. Which is weird, isn’t it?

P.S. Omg, seems it relates to what @garf stated above, doesn’t it?

1 Like

1.20A has borked the left-turn % trig conditions - theres now a weird value acceleration resulting in increments of up to 9% around the 50% halfway point.

It was like this before apparently…or maybe I misunderstood…

3 Likes

The best way is to have the option to choose, a mode to trigger once or continuously .

1 Like

Yeah it’s by design it seems. I guess it doesn’t take in account the very fun workflow of tweaking the external gear and relaunching the saved sound when you want, a bit like the Func Yes/Func NO workflow with the Digitakt itself…

I hope this can be changed some day.

2 Likes