Digitakt 1.08

Good point. That would be expected behavior. Anyone can confirm that ?

Much prefer a comp to just slapping the DN chorus for DTā€¦ well done

2 Likes

Itā€™s a ā€œmaster compressorā€ so Iā€™d think no

2 Likes

Yes. You will compress all 8 tracks, including the sidehchain source.

Would be handy if the makeup gain dropped to 0db automatically when a sidechain source track is selected. Makeup defaults to +12db which is fine when SCS is LR, but with the compā€™s default values and 100% wet, thereā€™s a large jump in volume when switching the SCS to T1, T2 etcā€¦ could damage some ears/equipment if not careful :slight_smile:

Itā€™s a ā€œmasterā€ compressor with a ā€œsidechainā€ option though. It wouldnā€™t make much sense to use the kick to sidechain the compressor if it also affects the kick sound as well.

4 Likes

unfortunately not. if kick is source, it gets compressed.
the rest of the track will duck, but so will the source.

Tested this during the development, but it didnā€™t turn out very well with how this compressor works and the internal routing. It was quite tricky to manage levels in combination with dry/wet.

13 Likes

Looking at your profile, you only have a Volca FM now ? :smile:

I assumed itā€™d only be useful when relegating the compressor to be used as only a ducking device with full wet balance. Still stoked for the compressor to be used as a standard master compressor though.

3 Likes

this is what the wet/dry is for - also if you know how to set attack/release times on a compressor, the kick will have plenty of time to punch through before it clamps down during the sustain

2 Likes

Just testing out this new compressor on the Digitakt. Sounds awesome when handled with care. Thereā€™s even the option to have the Reverb pre- or post-comp.
Nicely done, Elektron! Thank you!

21 Likes

As one of those who requested thisā€¦

thanks! ! !
it sounds good! ! !
nice work on the UI too, fits on one page but thereā€™s enough control for it to be useful in every pattern.

more presents to come??

Wet/dry is for the balance of the compressed master signal vs the unaffected master signal. Traditional sidechaining would use the compressor fully wet on all sounds besides the kick.

1 Like

Youā€™d actually want the compressor to duck the sound every time the kick occurred with traditional sidechaining.

1 Like

oh is that what it is thanks for the tutorial on ā€œtraditional sidechainingā€

regardless of sour grapes @Prints, I think this comp sounds great, and the sidechain is super useful. many thanks elektron, especially for the 1.5:1 ratio, wonderfully transparent

yayyy 77th reply omg lul

1 Like

Do you even know what ā€œsour grapesā€ means? Youā€™re totally using it in the wrong context lol. Trust me, Iā€™d prefer not having to explain things when I hear misinformation.

Letā€™s not turn this into a moaning thread

13 Likes

the Digitakt becomes more of an attractive instrument with a Master Compressor ā€¦ one hopes that a soft knee option is implemented.

2 Likes