DigiChain - web app for making sample chains

YES! Big thanks for implementing this feature so quickly. Brian, you’re a Legend mate:D It’s really a time big saver and I have just started to create my dream breakbeat chains in a matter of seconds. Much respect for active developers like yourself that are listening to the community :slight_smile: I Love the Digi Chain even more now :smiley: Really great project! :smiley:

1 Like

Under an hour from request to deployed feature :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Sorry - haven’t read the recent posts , unsure why you want to duplicate and reverse the sample )

Is it not possible to have 2x sounds for ping pong.
1x sound with playback forward
1x sound with playback backwards

Use this 2 sounds ( I can’t remember but this would get around the issue if you can’t p-lock sample playback direction )

@brian3kb thanks again for your amazing work! I’ve posted a vid in current sounds thread where I have used the ping pong chains in the second part of the jam. Current sounds coming from your gear (Part 2) - #3093 by deeptropix

1 Like

The webapp looks really nice, but when I tried it in various ways today it didn’t work for me.
I tried it with my Octatrack and slices didn’t seem to be on point (I wouldn’t exclude user error as I haven’t used the OT in a while)

But when exporting files for the OP-Z, the slices points weren’t correct either. Meaning, they don’t start with the transient of the drum. Which can be seen, when loading the kit created in Digichain into teenage engineerings drum utility.

Any tips on what I might be doing wrong here?

For the OT, did you have the .ot file being generated and downloaded? It’s an option in the settings, and they only get created in the 16 bit / 24 bit 44.1k audio context.

I’ve created quite a few OT chains for myself and all have been as expected on device.

On the OP-Z, I will take a look, see if I can reproduce - personally I have mostly used it for stereo chains for my Field.

What browser, version, and OS are you using?

I used chrome on an M1 Mac mini, Ventura 13.4

For the OT I created the file at the proper 44.1k / 24bit…and attached the .ot file. It played back on the OT, but the slices were all over the place. Same as with the OP-Z patch. I’ll try again in the coming days and will report back!

That’s really odd, I’m unsure how an OP-Z export would be the same as the OT, under the hood, they use totally different logic to build the slice points and generate the audio files as they are so very very different.

I do not have an M1 mac, but I can test on an iPad, but that would be Safari as browsers are only allowed to use webkit on iOS and iPadOS.

I’ve had a play with the TE kit maker this afternoon - what I’ve noticed, is that when you drag in an existing aif drumkit - their tool ignores completely the slice markers baked into the file (edit: if not exactly to the unknown spec) (even those made from a site like op-1.fun).

So that screenshot doesn’t reflect the slice data stored in the file that the TE tool has ignored.

What it does, is just splits it evenly into 24 slices - so that screenshot you have taken does not reflect the slice data of the files you dropped onto it. Edit: this seems to be the default behavior if the embedded metadata isn’t quite what the TE tool expects to see, the actual physical devices are more forgiving in the aspect, and read the slice data as you’d expect.

It would have been good if TE had open-sourced that tool so other developers could get a full spec of the file format, rather than having to reverse engineer it as best we can, but unfortunately, their tool is closed source and obfuscated by being compiled to web-assembly, and judging by the errors poking around, has been written in Rust.

Strange… for me the kits that I created directly with the TE tool load properly (as slices), when I reimport them into their drum utility. In this picture you can see the files generated after dragging in a previously created drum kit.

PS: I love that you integrated a pitch up function in your tool! That’s super useful.

1 Like

I’ll give that another shot, everything I’ve loaded in so far ignores all the slice data. I wonder if they have changed the metadata structure embedded in the file. Will have to create a bunch and do some file comparisons in a hex editor and see if I can figure out what’s different.

(Edit: will also clear my browser cache to make sure it’s not doing some version caching.)

The kits I made directly on my Field loaded in also just get resliced to 24 different slices, I wonder if the next firmware updates round will line up the devices with the tool once it comes out of alpha :thinking:

Doing some more testing today - I needed to clear out the app storage cache in the browser to get the slice/waveform view to show-up.

When I load a stereo kit generated in DigiChain (44.1k stereo Aif, for the Field), that looks perfect when loaded into the TE tool (also works perfectly on the Field itself).

But the same kit exported in mono for the OP-Z, has all the slice data ignored when loading up in the TE app.

If I export the stereo kit back out of the TE tool as a mono kit (for the OP-Z), that re-imports fine in DigiChain.

I’m going to do some file header comparisons and see what they are doing different in the tools exported files on the mono side, as the stereo files look good to/from both. I probably need to try and align the generated mono header to that of the TE tool.

Ok, think I’ve figured it out - needed to tweak the embedded slice meta data to align with the drum utility, the TE tool will now line-up with the mono aif exports (as in, correctly read the slice info) like it already does with the stereo ones.

Tested generated files on both my OP-Z and OP-1 Field again and both still work as expected as they did previously :slight_smile:

I have pushed this to main as v1.4.3.

3 Likes

The ping-pong selected action is now on the main URL as I’ve pushed a point release, v1.4.3, so no need to use the latest url to get to this now :).

1 Like

Great stuff :slight_smile: Thanking you again!

1 Like

@SonWu I think so far, it’s only been me using it for OP-1 Field/OP-Z exports. I made the thing for myself to use and figured I’d share it publicly, so it’s really helpful to get feedback/feature requests from others.

I mostly use the merge tool to build A/B kits with two different samples per slice for my Field as that’s a chore to do manually. And use it loads more for DT/OT.

I have a huge sample library, setting the grid to 64 and dropping a folder full of samples with the Shift key held down imports a random selection of 64 files into the list to get some interesting sample chain combos.

@brian3kb Hey Brian, I don’t know what I’m doing wrong but I can’t seem to get it working right on my rytm :confused:
It’s realy frustrating me, I’ve tried in so many ways now…
When I make for example a chain for my kicks, the first kick is always right.
After that it get’s messy. They never seem to start at the right time or they cut off short.
I tried an easy chain with only 16 kicks.
I uploaded those same 16 kicks on different slots to check how they sound in comparison to the chained kicks.
Well… most of the kicks cut off short in the chain and the kicks that I placed in seperate sampleslots play they way like they are intended.
It’s driving me mad. Do I have to make the kicks the same length in order for this to work?

Look closely on the export settings. There is an option for a simple chain and an equally spaced chain. You will need the latter.

1 Like

It doesn’t matter if it’s equally spaced or not, I’m encountering problems with both.

how does the file look in a DAW?