DigiChain - web app for making sample chains

Yes, I was looking for the same thing yesterday and was disappointed not to find that feature

Iā€™ll take a look at this tomorrow after work, doesnā€™t seem like it will be too much effort to add in.

1 Like

Ok, v1.4.1 is pushed with this change and is deployed as the main already - Iā€™ve also been doing some prep work to (hopefully) hit the requirements for submission to the Microsoft app store on this version.

The default is 3 seconds, but if you shift+click the Truncate action button, you will be prompted to enter your own value.

Hereā€™s a custom value of 0.3

The editor got a UI reshuffle too to fit in the extra button.

cropped

12 Likes

thank you so much mate! youā€™re my hero!

1 Like

Hello. Noob working with samples chains so maybe Iā€™m doing something wrong. Im creating the chains using the spaced chain button with 8 samples, but on very short
samples Iā€™m hearing play continous slices (just like it was rettriggering). It looks like the easey solution to this is by adjunsting the amp on the digitakt. Iā€™m not having these problem with bassdrums samples, I guess because the samples are longer. Any other solutions like introducing silence after every slice maybe? Thanks!!

amazingā€¦

1 Like

What browser are you using and also, what length are your samples?

I have been making 64 chain wave tables using 4096 samples (0.853s) per slice and not noticed any issues.

Whe you say itā€™s retriggering, do you mean that the last slice is repeating? If thatā€™s the case, then the sample grid also needs to be set to the desired chain length (so the ā€œ8ā€ button needs to be active).

1 Like

I think I was using chrome. I will check tonight all the process and report back.

If i remember correctly I used the 8 button bar and on the digitakt set slices length and grid at 8.

Thanks for anwsering.

1 Like

@brian3kb brilliant updates over the last few weeks, just been testing them after a few weeks away. I do have a feature request though, slices based on BPM with a 1st slice offset from the beginning of the sample.

I think you have most of the tools already in DigiChain, so maybe itā€™s really a use case request. Here my use case:
I record 5->20 minute Jams and like to extract shorter x-bar loops from it to reuse a later date. Iā€™d like to slice based on a user specified tempo and for 1/2/4/8 bars. The only thing stopping me at the moment is the silence at the start and end of the recording varies and the zoom in DigiChain doesnā€™t allow me to get precise enough on a large file. A start offset option might help, where you can enter ss.hh as on offset for the 1st slice to start. Or perhaps I could create my own tape.JSON - Is there an example of the format? (I donā€™t have OP or Octatrack).

1 Like

also found a bug (macOS/Chrome) when trying to edit the ā€œFile Nameā€, when typing in the new name it randomly stops entering what I type, probably related to keyboard short cuts, as typing ā€˜Eā€™ seems to end my input (CNTL or SHIFT buttons were not selected):

1 Like

Thanks! Iā€™ve been looking at slice by bar with a user specified tempo on the slice panel, that will likely land in the next update I push out.

2 Likes

Thanks for reporting this, Iā€™ll take a look and see whatā€™s causing it, as the grid keyboard shortcuts should be inactive when any of the panels are visible.

1 Like

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: Superstar! :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

3 Likes

The Microsoft Store app is now live :partying_face:

6 Likes

This bug is now fixed :slight_smile:

For anyone who did install from the MS Store, you may need to right-click anywhere on the UI and click ā€˜Refreshā€™ to update immediately - otherwise the auto-update will only sync every 24 hours.

I also pushed through some re-work of the start/end point selection and zooming of the waveform.

There are still upper/lower zoom limits as rendering too large a canvas can cause crashes, so itā€™s capped at a reasonably long enough size to get several more levels of zoom than were previously visible.

Start/End buttons control what the mouse click/touch will be setting. (You can still Shift+Click to set the end point when the Start button is active though). The All button will re-select the whole waveform, as even Iā€™ve annoyed myself having to open and close the edit panel to get the start at 0 again!

3 Likes

I like the chain link logo :smiley:

Iā€™m really stoked to have this on my desktop since sometimes I have to go dark in order to be productive. really grateful for all your work, just downloaded and appreciate it man!

3 Likes

Hello I solved the problem. Let me explain what was happening. I had an LFO modulating the slice select. Turns out that on very short samples if the LFO goes to fast it sounds like is retriggering or playing many slices, I really dont know. I solved it by using the random LFO waveform and setting the depth and speed really low. That way I can create some sample chains with round robin hits and have the lfo play different slices on every hit. App is amazing thank you!!

1 Like

Awesome! Good to hear confirmation itā€™s not an issue with the files themselves :blush:

Which machine ? Sounds similar to something I encountered with M:S.

It happened with the slice machine.t

1 Like