DigiChain - web app for making sample chains

thanks very much!

1 Like

Thank you! Very nice! :+1:t3:

1 Like

If you do throw non-16bit aif files at it, it also won’t hang in 1.4, instead you’ll see a message fly by telling you the file is being skipped.

1 Like

i have one more feature request. i have no idea if it would be useful for everyone but it’s something that may make life a bit easier for most, especially to optimize various sample packs to save as much space as possible: cut/trim all selected to X seconds. this may be useful to trim one shots/chords of various sample packs that vary wildly in length.

again, this may be a highly subjective matter but just as an example, i personally don’t usually need 3+ seconds long samples and i don’t really care about a proper “fade out” since it can be handled simply with ADR. it’s a real PITA to go through hundreds of samples just to shorten them so they take the least amount of space on the DT’s +Drive :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, I was looking for the same thing yesterday and was disappointed not to find that feature

I’ll take a look at this tomorrow after work, doesn’t seem like it will be too much effort to add in.

1 Like

Ok, v1.4.1 is pushed with this change and is deployed as the main already - I’ve also been doing some prep work to (hopefully) hit the requirements for submission to the Microsoft app store on this version.

The default is 3 seconds, but if you shift+click the Truncate action button, you will be prompted to enter your own value.

Here’s a custom value of 0.3

The editor got a UI reshuffle too to fit in the extra button.

cropped

12 Likes

thank you so much mate! you’re my hero!

1 Like

Hello. Noob working with samples chains so maybe I’m doing something wrong. Im creating the chains using the spaced chain button with 8 samples, but on very short
samples I’m hearing play continous slices (just like it was rettriggering). It looks like the easey solution to this is by adjunsting the amp on the digitakt. I’m not having these problem with bassdrums samples, I guess because the samples are longer. Any other solutions like introducing silence after every slice maybe? Thanks!!

amazing…

1 Like

What browser are you using and also, what length are your samples?

I have been making 64 chain wave tables using 4096 samples (0.853s) per slice and not noticed any issues.

Whe you say it’s retriggering, do you mean that the last slice is repeating? If that’s the case, then the sample grid also needs to be set to the desired chain length (so the “8” button needs to be active).

1 Like

I think I was using chrome. I will check tonight all the process and report back.

If i remember correctly I used the 8 button bar and on the digitakt set slices length and grid at 8.

Thanks for anwsering.

1 Like

@brian3kb brilliant updates over the last few weeks, just been testing them after a few weeks away. I do have a feature request though, slices based on BPM with a 1st slice offset from the beginning of the sample.

I think you have most of the tools already in DigiChain, so maybe it’s really a use case request. Here my use case:
I record 5->20 minute Jams and like to extract shorter x-bar loops from it to reuse a later date. I’d like to slice based on a user specified tempo and for 1/2/4/8 bars. The only thing stopping me at the moment is the silence at the start and end of the recording varies and the zoom in DigiChain doesn’t allow me to get precise enough on a large file. A start offset option might help, where you can enter ss.hh as on offset for the 1st slice to start. Or perhaps I could create my own tape.JSON - Is there an example of the format? (I don’t have OP or Octatrack).

1 Like

also found a bug (macOS/Chrome) when trying to edit the “File Name”, when typing in the new name it randomly stops entering what I type, probably related to keyboard short cuts, as typing ‘E’ seems to end my input (CNTL or SHIFT buttons were not selected):

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve been looking at slice by bar with a user specified tempo on the slice panel, that will likely land in the next update I push out.

2 Likes

Thanks for reporting this, I’ll take a look and see what’s causing it, as the grid keyboard shortcuts should be inactive when any of the panels are visible.

1 Like

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: Superstar! :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

3 Likes

The Microsoft Store app is now live :partying_face:

6 Likes

This bug is now fixed :slight_smile:

For anyone who did install from the MS Store, you may need to right-click anywhere on the UI and click ‘Refresh’ to update immediately - otherwise the auto-update will only sync every 24 hours.

I also pushed through some re-work of the start/end point selection and zooming of the waveform.

There are still upper/lower zoom limits as rendering too large a canvas can cause crashes, so it’s capped at a reasonably long enough size to get several more levels of zoom than were previously visible.

Start/End buttons control what the mouse click/touch will be setting. (You can still Shift+Click to set the end point when the Start button is active though). The All button will re-select the whole waveform, as even I’ve annoyed myself having to open and close the edit panel to get the start at 0 again!

3 Likes

I like the chain link logo :smiley:

I’m really stoked to have this on my desktop since sometimes I have to go dark in order to be productive. really grateful for all your work, just downloaded and appreciate it man!

3 Likes