Different samples on different tracks?

Hi,

I’m new to Octatrack and new in this forum. Here’s a (probably) real rookie question: I want to dedicate separate tracks for:
T1: BD
T2: SD
T3: HH
ect…

I’ve set up flex machines for this. I’ve loaded BD samples to T1, but when I move on to T2 to load SD samples, but it holds already the same BD samples as on T1. When I replace these samples with SD samples it also replaces the same BD sounds I have on T1. So how do I isolate certain samples to different tracks / how do I load different samples to different triggers without also replacing samples on other tracks?

Though no question is stupid I’m looking forward to a pretty obvious answer :smile:

Thanks!

Welcome.

You have to load samples in different slots, then assign them to tracks.

1 Like

Welcome
This and your next five questions will be answered here in the Merlín Guide
Almost everyone agrees it’s essential reading

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip!

So I’ve read Merlins (excellent) manual and the overall structure makes a lot more sense now :blush:

I still have some confusion though: How do I change the sample assigned to the specific triggers on the flex machines? I suppose holding down the trig key is the way to go, but this doesn’t change anything…

And this would be the right way to do stuff if I want to dedicate separate tracks for different types of samples?

Thanks for all your help

Octatrack always has many ways of achieving an end result.

For your case you could.
Make sample chains ( up to 64 bass drum sounds in one sample) then slice mode. So T1 can be your bass drum track, always referencing the same sample slot. Plocks the trigs to get different bass drum sounds. Not a bad way to go.

Or you might use Part/Pattern changes. Read up on that. Also not a bad choice.

Or you might use sample locks. Hold down a trig, turn the level knob to select a sample from the sample slots list. Personally I dont use this method, I prefer chains.

Sounds like you have read Merlins Guide, but you havent understood it. Once it clicks, you will be all set.

1 Like