DFAM mind melting thread

I feel like I deserve some sort of finder’s fee.
:wink:

1 Like

Hahaha ! You have my consideration :wink:

1 Like

Reminds me of my first DFAM! Not that I didn’t just get one 4 months ago…but I am stoked for you. Time to feed the garbage disposal with sound. Huh I’ve never sampled a garbage disposal before…I might go do that today :exploding_head:

How are people making the DFAM play nice with other equipment in terms of tuning?

Tuning?
What’s that then?

4 Likes

I usually reserve the tuning to a comb filter on the OT but you can feed pitch to the DFAM if you have modular sequencers (beatstep pro for example, or even the keystep). However you won’t get that random DFAM behavior when twisting pitch knobs with no aim.

You can get two voices out of it if you de-sync VCO2 mess around with VCO2 Freq. and mess with the FM Amount a little bit.

But if you are just going to use the built in sequencer, it will be an experience to keep things in tune I am sure :upside_down_face:

@fin25 are the tracks you’ve posted in this thread all live takes? I’ve really enjoyed them, got me thinking about a Lyra… Would like to hear about your setup for these tunes

Im with you on that one.
With DFAM and Lyra its pretty much impossible to get a bad sound out of them. You can forget everything you thought you knew about musical theory.

3 Likes

Im doing this wit my modular now. It threw me off at first because my DFAM sequencer was still reacting when I turned the tempo knob, but then I realized I was basically bypassing it when I triggered from my modular directly (marbles currently)

I have Pam’s new Workout so I can get euclidian rhytms out of it easily. For velocity I am thinking maybe the Clep Diaz could really do some cool stuff.

1 Like

I have been just enjoying the lack of direction and the fact that 2 “tracks” with a beat (if needed) is entirely sufficient…what a wild ride.

Sounds are better than notes sometimes haha

1 Like

Yep, all live takes. Setup is real simple, as follows.

DFAM into TC triple delay pedal (mono into stereo) into mixer.
Lyra into Digitech Polara Reverb pedal (mono into stereo again) into mixer.
Analog Heat as an insert on the master, set to Saturation, drive dimed, fully wet, full boost on low eq and a little cut off the hi eq. Low pass filter, almost fully open, tiny bit of resonance, occasional bit of envelope following on the kick, but so subtle you’d barely notice.
All recorded live into a zoom h4n pro.

Feel free to download the full .wav files off SoundCloud for the best listening experience.

The Lyra and DFAM make such a good pair because neither one cares about tuning or clock sync, they just work. They both have to be played as much as programmed.

6 Likes

Yea turning off/on the sequencer and stepping forward to a nice setting has gotten me interesting results for sure.

I just enjoy the ride so to speak. @fin25 explained it pretty well when he said it’s more of a passenger experience

2 Likes

Also worth noting. LYRA is extremely sensative to temperature and humidity. I played an outdoor gig last year. The stage was near a river. It was cold, night time, and I just could not get the sounds I usually get out of Lyra. My fingers were frozen too.

Conversely, during the hot humid part of the year in my studio… I barely have to look at her and she screams .

But yes. The Lyra DFAM couple works perfectly, they play extremely well together providing the player is willing to let go and embrace the noise.

4 Likes

I do not see it it normally mentioned but DFAM can also be a very powerful monosynth; I play it as a paraphonic 3 osc synth sometimes (via Mutant brain)sometimes combining it with 0-coast or getting osc/ADSR from other sources, wonderful for bass and lead sounds.

For polyrhythmic patterns I prefer to use Korg SQ1 (this is the sequencer moog should have made for DFAM), DFAM´s one I normally just use for modulation, if I use it at all

3 Likes

It absolutely has great potential as a monosynth. I sequence it with my beatstep more and more. Very unique sound

1 Like

Any delay and revel pedal recommendations for the DFAM?

I use a Polara Reverb and and a Carbon Copy (MXR) and the results are awesome.

Seems two of us use the same delay pedal.

And @fin25 uses the same reverb pedal on his Lyra.

I am sure other pedals could do well however. The DFAM doesn’t need much but it absolutely makes it sound better.

If you have a DN/A4/AR/OT try the built in FX on the inputs to get an idea

1 Like

I’ve used a few with it but I’ve been getting filthy results using an old Quadraverb rack unit with it. The delay/reverb is crunchy and quite unique to the unit in terms of sound but it has the benefit of eq and mod options too.
Basically, I’m sick of pedals everywhere, time to spearhead the rack FX revival.

EDIT: I do use the polara on the Lyra, but I don’t like it so much with drum sounds. I like to gate percussion reverb quite aggressively and you can’t really do that the way I like it with the polara.

1 Like

Quick question: most drum synths/machines have a track/part per instrument (e.g., Drumbrute, Volca Drum, etc). So a kick, snare, etc. The DFAM doesn’t right? Other than changing the pitch of the note, each note sounds the same, right?

You are basically correct. It is monophonic (but also sort of paraphonic) and monotimbral, but the patch points and sequencing are magic.

4 Likes