Denon Prime 4 as an Elektron Octatrack replacement

I think Denon Prime 4 is ideal as an Elektron Octatrack replacement for those users that use streaming from CF card —I bet Denon never considered non DJ’s are very interested in this product! Prime 4 has enough sound mangling EFX and has the very interesting Zone out for quadraphonic playback!

ref
1 Like

https://www.denondj.com/prime-4-prime4xus

TIMESTRETCH AND KEY-MATCHING AUDIO

• Class-leading, DAW-quality Timestretch algorithm
  • Perform pitch locked, extreme track tempo changes
  • Match and shift harmonic musical keys live in the mix

NO LIMITS MEDIA SOURCES

• Bring massive music libraries to gigs
  • 4 USB inputs, 1 x SD card slot
  • Futureproof storage with built-in 2.5” SATA drive bay
  • Record a full DJ set to any connected source
  • USB keyboard support for optional music search
  • Plays several standard uncompressed and compressed file formats

PLAY MUSIC IN TWO SEPARATE ROOMS

• Dedicated XLR Zone output with gain and EQ control
  • Stream back-to-back music automatically into second room
  • Assign either Deck 4 or Master signal to Zone output
  • Party in one room, chill-out in the other

I will keep my Octatrack, just feel good having it by my side :slight_smile:

5 Likes

:face_vomiting:

6 Likes

Yeah, it’s a big one. I would need a new flat for putting that on a table :smiley:

3 Likes

You’re getting a bit of a dickish backlash for posting this because you’re suggesting it in the church of the Octatrack lol. I do get what you’re saying and it does look fun to play with as someone who’s never DJ’d. It is 1.5x the cost of an OT though, I could get the same sounds with marginally more work on OT. Still though, looks fun

1 Like

I had the traktor s8 for a while and it was great for making loops but I didn’t have much use for the platters and they have a large footprint.

Moving this to the Other Gear section, as the subject will appeal to more than just Octatrack users.

1 Like

take a loop at this one

Sure looks powerful, also a bit “Aira” looking, too big and couldn’t hope to replace an Octatrack for me though, for a large number of reasons.

1 Like

its the same computer as MPC-X and Akai Force inside but optimised for streaming rather than in memory:)
I sort of like the idea of the built in recorder to record your mix --efx and all. If you can get past the DJ Jog wheels which I hate --I think this machine has a ton of creative potential. In the next firmware update you will get horizontal waveform (rather than vertical) display (up to 4 decks at a time) on that lovely 10" touch screen.

The Octatrack is a performance sampler.

Very few things, if anything, can currently replace an Octatrack. Its use with backing tracks is definitely a fully fledged feature but I would argue it’s not what it was designed bottom up for.

The question is do you need an Octatrack or do you need a Denon DJ-Prime 4 more, if you can’t have both? I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone loading up the entirety of “Hey Ya” onto their Octatrack but I could be wrong.

Typical gearhead answer : get both.

3 Likes

Answer get the Prime 4 and the new SuperBooth 2019 Elektron product. Im backing the Prime 4 as the next big thing / (made as a DJ tool originally) but crossover hit as a creative tool for musicians / sound designers , art installations etc

I simply don’t know what to expect from Elektron after being somewhat disappointed with the M:S. I have no expectations anymore. All I know is I have one Elektron box I’d be willing to part with for a non-legacy device with a keyboard.

Edit : I see on Gearslutz you posted a nearly identical post regarding this as a performance sampler.

This literally doesn’t sample. Did you read anything about the device? It plays samples. You realize this thing isn’t a sampler, isn’t a performance sampler, and can’t sample on the fly nor any other way? It plays back samples.

https://www.digitaldjtips.com/reviews/denon-dj-prime-4-standalone-all-in-one-system/

It doesn’t remotely touch what the Octatrack is capable of. This thing is a laptop + DJ software + nice controller in a streamlined unit. DJ… disc jockey. Not sample jockey.

Not that this isn’t a nice device, but to place them in the same category let alone call this its replacement is pure ignorance, perhaps shilling even.

5 Likes

it can record in realtime from any of the inputs -line/phono —a total of 4 decks at once -plus the two mic inputs–and manipulate the incoming recording on the fly -this is what makes it unique --nothing else like it on Market
I have confirmed this is the case with Denon DJ

:roll_eyes: OT can use 8 individual stereo recorders, 14 different sources, and play their recording on any step of any of the 8 audio tracks, and modify them with up to 248 parameters with the crossfader in realtime.

4 Likes

No it can’t lmao.

If this was what it did it’d be a main section on the product page. You think they’d intentionally leave the entire ability of sampling out of the product page? This is just shilling at its finest.

8 Performance Pads. Remix Music

Perform Hot-Cue juggling to live track remixing
Create saved Loop regions for track timeline variety
Dynamic ‘straight’ and triplet time Roll triggers
Beat Slicer to punctuate variable rhythmic phrases

Live track(s) =/= sampling.

“8 Performance Pads. Remix (prerecorded) Music”

I’ll kindly eat my words if you provide source info or proof of this being able to record audio files of live inputs.

1 Like

Nekoro_DenonDJ
Denon DJ Staff

Hello @d2ba, thank you for posting. Yes, you can record from 4 line inputs/external sources at once.

-----you can additionally on top of that record the two mic channels at same time as 4 external stereo sources.! :slight_smile:

Maybe agree to disagree and leave come away from the Internet for a while.

Wow. They did it!
A recorder.

4 Likes