Octatrack as a DJ deck

So if the tempo of the OT is set on 120 and I load a sample with a BPM of 128 ( without having the bpm mentioned in the file name), then Octatrack is not capable of finding the BPM and timestretching the sample automatically to 120, similar as Ableton is doing this?

I’d say if you’re going to do any track warping, do it outside of the OT. Also - the OT’s time stretching algorithm is nowhere near as good as Ableton or Traktor so be aware that shifting tempo in larger increments is going to sound ropey. One other thing - samples can be triggered in a quantised way using trigs 9 - 16. Or if you play music where the tempo drifts and you don’t want to bother with warping each track in ableton, just turn off the trig quantisation (it’s actually off by default) and you can use trigs 9 - 16 to bring in your tracks by ear.

Thanks Skab, so I understand that it is still possible to beatmatch 2 samples with different tempo on different tracks, using the cue for 1 track?

Strange btw that OT is called Ableton in a box, if it is not able to do timestretching properly, bit misleading… Hope a future os update can improve this.

Just ordered a OT, mainly because of the realtime sampling possibilities in combination with analog four. In this way I like to build up a song and mix it with existing songs.

@Vandamme Yeah, “Ableton in a box” is a bit of a misnomer. Don’t get me wrong - the OT can do a load of stuff that would be hard / impossible to do in Ableton, but I don’t think Ableton-style djing is its strong suit. I do use my OT for djing, but atm I’m mainly playing early 80s electroboogie, so there really isn’t a need for long, super-smooth mixes.

It can beatmatch samples, and you can use the cue to monitor no problems, but you will probably need to tap tempo and save the bpm of each tune before your set - the OT doesn’t usually get the tempo right for long samples.

The OT is a great machine. Coupled with the A4 you’re going to have some fun!!

1 Like

Clear, thanks a lot! Looking forward to it :slight_smile:

Hi everyone! Sorry for maybe noobish question but here is my problem. I have a songs loaded in statick machines. In audio editor I can slice the song so during the playback I can find very quickly where the playback marker is. Ok thats fine. Can I loop last slice? I mean to add some que points so my track will never stop. And I can easily mix it with a new track. Can anyone write instruction for doing that if its possible? Thanks!

Hey Madzagga, i would answer YES…but keep in mind that you have to do it manually while in live jamming…

So, basically you have the LOOP mode in PlaybackSetup page.
It applies on the whole songs or…if SLICE is set to ON…to the current triggered slice.
But this comes later…

So…lets say you have a track with 3 slices. And you want the last one to loop because it is good as a mixing tool while transitioning.

So your Static track would have been set this way:

• Loop On [setup page]
• Slice On [setup]
• Len to Slice [setup]
• Start = 1 [parameters page]
• Len = 3 [parameters]

If you trigger the track, it will play starting from the slice value set on the START parameter. If this value is 1 then the song will start form the first slice (hopefully the beatwise beginning of the song)

Through the song you will arrive to the third slice (because you set 3 for Len value).
What will happen here is, once the 3rd slice will finish, the loop starts back from the beginning of the first slice (the one you have triggered) and will loop through the 3 slices.

But you need only the last one…so here a bit of live action.

You should retrigger the 3rd slice (setting the proper value in the START parameter) and, especially, with Len = 1. You need timing, but this is an easy timing task :wink:
Keep in mind that you can trigger using SLICE trig instead of TRACKS trig.

This instructs OT to loop continuosly only the third slice.

This workaround is a bit tricky, but will do the job

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll try!!

1 Like

Hi all,
thought I’d add my 2 cents, as I use the OT mostly as a DJ setup when I play out.

When prepping my own tracks, I bounce them without the kick, and I sidechain them a touch. When prepping other tracks, I often EQ them.

All tracks are warped in Ableton, the OT’s stretching engine is absolutely not suited for the job of stretching full tracks over a few BPM. My set is usually at 123, so I’ll warp all tracks at 123 before dumping them in the OT.

Also, I make sure that the length of the tracks is a multiple of 16 bars. This allows for slicing in the OT, and setting up “cue points”.

Once in the OT, I slice the tracks, set length to Slice, and set the length to max, as default.
I have track 1 as deck 1, and track 5 as deck 2. Both tracks have a one shot trig on the first trig. By changing the Start parameter and activating a one shot trig, I can navigate through the tracks. I can loop sections if I want, although I usually choose a different method. Track 2 is resampling track 1, and track 6 is resampling track 5. I can then grab a loop, with filter and FX, and go between the track and the sampled loop, effectively using the OT as a 4 deck Traktor setup with 2 loop decks.

It is quite a bit of prep, but once it’s done, and you save your samples settings, you don’t need to do it again, and it then becomes extremely fun to play tracks live.

I use track 8 as a master track, track 7 has a 16 kick chain, so I can select the best sounding kick for the venue, and the other tracks have a mix of percussion chains.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:
Cheers !

11 Likes

Ooh. I’ve never DJ’d, but I can see how this could be a ton of fun. Thanks for the tip videos, and for this tip!

I’ve only DJed a few times before but this sounds wicked fun. Just got my octotrack and using it for some noise industrial performances first. but once I get more into it I wanna try my hand out at DJing. You guys have inspired me!

Hi Secret music.
Any chance you can post a project template so I can get my head around this? Trying to transition from Traktor and not sure where to start. Thanks heaps

Hi Secret music.
Any chance you can post a project template so I can get my head around this? Trying to transition from Traktor and not sure where to start. Thanks heaps[/quote]
i’m interested in this too. how’s the timestretching on complete tracks? how far can you change the BPM if doing beat-sync’d mixes?

Hi Secret music.
Any chance you can post a project template so I can get my head around this? Trying to transition from Traktor and not sure where to start. Thanks heaps[/quote]
hi !
yes i can, i’m very busy at the moment with vinyl releases, and my OT is dead, as well. So it won’t be right away I’m afraid :frowning:
I’ll keep you posted though !
Cheers

i’ve resorted (after a long story involving writing my own external midi solutions) to bouncing tracks for OT at a base tempo of 120bpm, and adjusting the pitch parameter of the machine playback manually, when changing master tempo in a mix situation.

Another tip I would suggest if you want to use the Octatrack as a DJ mixer is to label your files with their native key, native BPM and if you slice the tracks label them so that you have the track name, BPM, key, and slice number -or- number of slices in a single file. The best DJ mixes don’t just match tempo/beats but pay very close attention to the key and compatible keys in the circle of 5ths for the best sound.

3 Likes

Does anyone use OT as a 3rd deck while mixing with CDJs or Turntables? Wondering if it would be possible to use tap tempo and use the up down arrows as a pitch control?

I guess this is made for that purpose.

Pressing [LEFT]/[RIGHT] while no particular menu is open will temporarily nudge the BPM up or down.

1 Like

Great thread.

Hmm, learning some good stuff here. Hoping once I’m over this cold to get back on top of learning how to apply these tips so I can get the hang of dj’ing and getting scene’s for each track in my mix to do a kind of live remixing. Still need to learn how to do a lot of things, but I’m excited to get there and get a great mix of 80’s pop/rock tracks together for the summer.