Delete all samples, projects, except for factory samples

I’m looking to get a fresh start on my DT. What’s the best way to delete everything and start fresh?

Also, is there a way to backup my projects with their relevant samples before I do so. If not, no problem.

Check out Elk Herd 3.0 does just what you want, and after you love it buy mr zero a beer :smile:

Elektron should take notice IMO. Ace piece of work! :+1:

3 Likes

Are you sure it backup and save only the samples used in projects though?
I thought it only organised projects

Thanks. I’ll check it out!

I’m on the latest OB beta OS and Elk Herd didn’t work.

It fetches projects, but does not send in OB mode.

When changed to midi over USB mode, it sends but the project gets all messed up. Plays totally random samples (or perhaps lost all my sample markers, etc). Damn. Oh well.

Check out the videos. They show what it can do. It’s per project but you can see the samples used in each project.

An easy way would be to save all the samples via the transfer tool. Make backups of each project and then just reset the DT. Blank slate.

Really? That sucks. Mention the problem in that thread? maybe he can get you sorted out. I’ve tested backing up and returning the project and no issues. The samples are all based on hash so you can even rename samples and the DT should still find them.

1 Like

yeah ive used it before, Elk-herd is great for organisation.
but its still not great having to save the whole drive via transfer
and then use a different program to get the sysex… then you up with multiple groups of sample librarys and sysex bit of a headache.
think they are going to make transfer possible to do all this properly eventually

2 Likes

I’ve decided not to go nuclear and scrap all my projects as there are some keepers in there.

The problem is that I have a ton of samples on my DT, and I’m not sure which ones are assigned to projects. Is there an easy way to see that so I know what is safe to delete?

Nope. And since you can use a LFO to modulate the used sample slot of a sound it’s also not easy to find out which are really in use (every sample at least listed in a sample slot is potentially used).

1 Like

I have nine projects that I’m going to keep.

If I want to delete all but the samples associated with those projects and assuming I can get Elk Herd to work, would the easiest way be to:

1. open each project in Elk Herd
  2. use the function to select samples not used and delete them from the project
  3. make a memo of the ones used in each project
  4. Re-save the pattern to the Digitakt with only the samples used
  5. Delete all the samples on the Digitakt not being used in those projects

Also, if I can’t get Elk Herd to work and can’t re-save the patterns to the DT with the unused samples removed, will I run into problems deleting samples that are loaded to projects, but not actually used in the patterns?

Hopefully I’ve explained that well enough.

Make sure digitakt is not connected by midi to anything else… and shut down your daw if you are using overbridge just to be sure… elk-herd should work man, think it’s pretty well tested now

Nope. Still having the same problems with nothing else connected to midi. I asked the developer in the main Elk Herd thread. It happens the same way every time. 100% repeatable.