Delays in Digitakt devs and other feedback

Also there are some very thoughtful and inspiring threads which go way beyond gear to what motivates us, impedes is, inspired us. This makes it special IMO and worth the occasional clipboard mentality.

same here. Iā€™ve been lucky n only had 1 crash since release. use loads of midi too. not to discount anyone whoā€™s having a nightmare with it but mines been pretty much rock solid. I got lucky I suppose.

2 Likes

you miss the point that these four updates were mandatory to at least give the buyers a half baked decent machineā€¦
I know what the DT can do and what notā€¦ Itā€™s not, that it is trash, itā€™s far from thatā€¦
Butā€¦ would you want a car were for example the heating does not work or stops every time you turn it on?
I guess noā€¦ and seven months is a lomg timeā€¦ paired with a mediocre communication skillā€¦
Of course everyone can work around the midi problems the DT still hasā€¦ And OB? Who needs it anyway? Sorry, for the sarcasmā€¦
But the whole situation is ridicolousā€¦
Baking smaller breads would also be a way to goā€¦ but I understandā€¦ Itā€™s about getting bigger and dragging consumers away from the rivalsā€¦ Itā€™s about money and success and growingā€¦ It is a boaring way to go, it makes so predictableā€¦
sorry, git carried awayā€¦

1 Like

the only ones who need protection are the customers not the companies who produce products with flawsā€¦
The good thing about all this comes with the word reputation and that is something elektron has lost a lot in the last months, at least for meā€¦

and important: nothing personal!! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

After I bought the Digitakt, Elektron released the OT mark two. At that point OTā€™s mark oneā€™s went way down in price, so I bought one. Never even had any problems with the DT, Just wanted more functionality. So, now Iā€™ve been stuck learning the OT. I only use the DT nowadays when I get in a rut on the OT, or when I want to make a song with more than 7 tracks. If you are having problems with bugs in the DT, a possible soluton would be to trade it in for a OT mark one. They have sorted out all the bugs. It has song mode, effects per instrument, multiple LFOā€™sā€¦ There is sooo much, you have no idea.
As for OB, I doubt itā€™s going to work for everyone when it comes out anyways. I fear for the backlash, when people figure out that consumer computer DAWā€™s are not designed for midi. Of course there could be some sort of miracle where they release OB and the shit just works. I highly doubt it.
Recently, I bought a iconnectivity usb1 and a Focusrite sound card. Now i trigger any midi instrument in live with the OT. But try and sync the OT and Ableton? good luck.

1 Like
1 Like

Hmm, maybe Elektron will use the audio clock function? Who knows, but to be honest, now that I figured that using the OT, or the DT sequencer to trigger instruments on my computer makes no noticeable latency, Iā€™m set. Never wanted to use the Ableton sequencer anyways. Done.

They have not.
There are many.
Itā€™s been years.

EDIT: the remaining OT bugs are not as restrictive as these DT bugs sound. &
They are work-roundable (with help of this forum) so it may still be a good tip.

Please inform me about these bugs. I havenā€™t run into any yet. Thank you.

As someone pointed out below, all you need to do is buy a 500 euro midi clock, and youā€™re good to go :smiley:

I usually advise those sync solution and all people ignore itā€¦ I can understand thatā€™s money for something who not makes soundsā€¦ but itā€™s a midi interface as well so itā€™s not that expensive ā€¦ Also if OB can be nice in studio I would not make a live performance with a laptop and in that case a sync solution is also a very nice addition to the setup rebooting 4 midi clock individually and shuffle midi can be very cool :wink:

People should consider more those solution for now itā€™s one of the less expensive and ā€œin productionā€ SYNC GEN 2 pro was nice but itā€™s doneā€¦ and SND ACME4 is more expensive than ERM Multiclock.

I really like to not messing around with shifting midi each time my effects chain is biggerā€¦ very convenient to readjust the shift knob on desk when required :stuck_out_tongue:

Sometimes comfortable/convenient comes with a price too.

2 Likes

I totally get this, and I am considering something like this at some point.

Itā€™s just that OPs point was more to do with the inherent problems with MIDI and computers, which is a major problem that I donā€™t think most people expect if theyā€™re not familiar with it. And if you buy a drum machine for letā€™s say, 800 euros, and then find out that to get it to play nice with your computer and software, which might have cost you 1500-2000 euros, you have to buy an interface for 500 euros. You might get a bit ticked off :slight_smile:

The saddest part is that you seem to be entirely right, if you want good midi timing, you will have to buy something like that.

Thereā€™s no way to get rid of latency and jitter when a computer is in the chain.

Therefore if people donā€™t need to work in the middle of many sequencer and also donā€™t need to record tight with it, at the same time ā€¦ : THEN thereā€™s workaround.

That ā‚¬499 sync box is not going to solve any issue you have with syncing up a few Elektron boxes that canā€™t be solved in some other, much cheaper way. Try me.

Well, first of all, it was to do with syncing external hardware to DAWs. And if you have suggestions, just make them. No reason to be all combative.

Iā€™ve seen a too many people getting talked into buying these kind of solutions, sorry if that makes me sound combative.

Whatā€™s the problem youā€™re having syncing external hardware to your DAW? Can you describe your setup, what youā€™d like to achieve, and whatā€™s not working for you in detail?

Instead of a 500 euro sync box you could pick up a cheap RM1x and use that as master clock and maybe even sequencer. Itā€™s a highly underrated box with a rock solid clock and has a very capable sequencer (480 ppq). It also has a lot of nice midi tricks up its sleeve.

There was never any talk of me having any problems. Might want to read the posts before you jump the gun. We were just discussing the problems DAWs have with jitter and midi clock when syncing to external hardware. Iā€™m not buying anything, I work mostly ITB.

Thatā€™s exactly my point. Thereā€™s no generalized ā€œproblem with DAWsā€ that a ā‚¬500 sync box can fix.

There are only specific problems, pretty much all of which are either straightforward to resolve, or are the result of people having trouble understanding or refusing to acknowledge that latency is inherent in a digital audio system.

1 Like

That box looks good! Thanks for pointing it out.

That said thereā€™s loads of ways to achieve decent sync of external gear with a DAW and even using USB midi clock to sync an external sequencer usually isnā€™t too bad for most purposes. Iā€™ve done this with digitakt from Mac, both via digitakt USB and other quality midi interfaces and itā€™s been okā€¦and Iā€™m usually quite fussy on this point. Modern PCs usually are fine too (especially if set up with DAWs in mind).

At the moment I midi clock to DT, then I have its Din Sync out controlling a Eurorack system. This has been stable and solidā€¦ for my purposes anyway!

One thing I would like DT to have is DIN SYNC in. If OB doesnt deliver promises on DAW sync, another option is to sync using a midi clock generated via an audio channel on your audio interface (expert sleepers ES-3 or similar can achieve this with sample accuracy). Yeah all this needs some setting up ā€¦ and some cash!

In my experience itā€™s good to use DAW as master clock and achieve reliable sync with one external device with good connectivity (drum machine is a good choice usually because they tend to have decent clocking). From here, sync other devices from the drum machine. That usually (though not always) works better than loads of clocks over USB from the computer in my experience.

But I do agree, thereā€™s no inherent problem with the vast majority of modern computers that prevents reliable and accurate sync. Latency and especially jitter can be minimised (and their effects conpensated for!) if you know what youā€™re doing.

John