Delays in Digitakt devs and other feedback

The thing is, when you buy something you

1. expect it to work reasonably well
  2. expect all the advertised features to be there

Of course there are bugs and of course there are delays. I’m pretty happy with my Digitakt although when I tried to reset the DT it displayed a jumble of error codes and nonsense. There are times when a track is not making a sound. It’s far from being unusable but after 8 months I do expect a bit more. If every time something goes wrong with it I would raise a ticket, I’d be spending more time with ticket-raising than making music. :smiley:

As for Overbridge, well, it’s not there, is it? Essentially right now it is false advertising. I would take it off the website immediately. When I see a new Digitakt like device popping up on the website advertised with Overbridge I just don’t believe in it any more. Raises the issue of credibility. That being said, I’ll probably buy the Digitone :slight_smile:

I only have love for Elektron machines, they are so much fun! But please, please, please stop pushing something that’s just not there yet. (or is it? :))

6 Likes

Ah ok, understandable. Flamewars are utterly useless. But then it would’ve been better to outright delete them imho. I was surprised to see this and not being able to read whats going on there. As for the default pages, the last time I set up a Discourse forum you entered those short_name things in the config somewhere and then on the website those would print what you entered in the config rather than the default strings (if that makes any sense).

2 Likes

Agreed. I love what the Digitakt can do, but it’s half done. I won’t buy another Elektron product until at least a year after release, when it’s clear that it actually works as advertised. I don’t trust them at all any more.

5 Likes

from the MusicRadar website…

Blockquote

As you’d expect, Digitone will be compatible with Elektron’s Overbridge, though you’ll have to wait until later this year for support to be added.

Blockquote

this worries me a little.

Would be great if Elektron could give the Digitakt user base a bit of an update on the progress of OB.

More ‘pioneer’, less ‘Pioneer’ perhaps?

Yeah they said February, maybe Digitone will take longer so the 'takt is first in the queue, fingers crossed. :crossed_fingers:

Dully noted. Thank you.

And yeah, it’s not like we’ve received a graduation as moderator :nerd_face:
We learn by doing (and with the right feedback), in fact.
Now these NAMM sessions are quite exhausting, from a moderator point of view, believe me.

OK, time for me to reach my friends and play music.
Don’t spend too much time on the internets, drop tracks instead !
:smile:

4 Likes

Better than I stop it, otherwise I’ll make myself banned this morning. Now when they want to do this update it does not matter, I have lost my esteem for this company and it’s a pity because they are really the numbers one with the professional equipment they produced. Now they focus with these entry level toys for the masses and with this policy they have lost sight of their goal: quality and customer care. It is not possible that every day I should express my disappointment because I can not take advantage of my equipment, delays are forcing me to buy a fucking octatrack to use a bit of sample in my music. The problem is always the masses, they have found a way to make their products accessible to all and this is the result, I feel at the mercy of consumerism. I am one of those who initially invests in an excellent phone that does the job and keep it for life rather than changing the model every month for fashion. For me Elektron have become this: a fashion company. And I am sincerely sorry.

1 Like

All we can do right now… Cenk said they are working in bug fixes, and he said “very shortly, very soon, as soon as we are happy with it”

I have been very vocal about my dissatisfaction with Digitakt’s midi handling, as I bought the device MAINLY because it is advertise that it has 8 midi tracks, (that is a primary function that in my opinion HAS TO BE reliable on day one of release, or at least on the first 3 months) and right now Digitakt is sequencing my whole setup…
Long story short the reply from my ticket was nonchalant and stated that I was mishandling my midi connections that’s why I was having bugs, I honestly felt offended with the reply but kept it to myself after seeing so many people with the same problem.

Although the fury is gone I am left with a sour taste, because as I am waiting for the firmware update, I continue writing my music, but my setup feels unreliable.

To be completely honest I am ok to wait a couple of weeks more for the update, as long as it is stable and reliable on its midi handling. I am also really hoping midi implementation is more complete (Midi LEARN, Midi record pitchbend/modwheel/aftertouch and cc motion record). I feel they are taking longer because more functions like this WILL be available, and they are beta testing and bug crunching the updates themselves.

Anyway I am hoping for the best, I know they will deliver a satisfactory update despite the delay… If not I will sell it, move on, and trust my hard earned money on another company (There are so many competent companies around…)

:3lektron: :hourglass:

4 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

A lot of people get comfortable in a forum and don’t like to see “negativity” i.e. things they’d rather not hear. It’s kind of amusing to be told that I’m “hating” and “angry” but no worries. I don’t lose sleep over it! It’s Elektron’s site after all so some public image management is to be expected. If I really want to rant against Elektron I’d do it in a neutral site.
But… I don’t believe that just emailing Elektron (or any other company that is more than a couple of people) with my complaints will have much effect. From experience I have seen that larger companies will only move to do things that will not immediately make them any money (such as fixing bugs or releasing a free transfer app in this case) when people make noise in public.

I’m not here to pick fights or troll people, I hope that is clear. I’m here because I have an Elektron box and because there is interesting discussion. If some people disagree with my opinions on certain gear (that they happen to own) and certain companies they could easily ignore my comments rather than try to bully me out… that won’t work! All the flagging, number of likes etc. doesn’t really bother me…

4 Likes

It’s fine to have issues with Elektron stuff. I’ve brought up build issues with the DT I bought and sold a few times (couldn’t live with the stuck buttons) but it just seems to come in waves where almost every thread has at least one snarky comment about lack of updates/missing features. It’s like it comes with a full moon or something.

I think it’s right to move the complaints away from the D1 discussion to be honest. I’ve been burned by DT but I’m still pretty excited about the D1 - doesn’t feel like there is a need for all of the negativity in that discussion thread.

2 Likes

I own both a Rytm MkI and an Octatrack MkII. After careful research I specifically chose to buy Elektron :3lektron:products. I truly believe that these machines are something special, meaning they have merit over competitive products.
That being said, I can understand the frustration of Digitakt owners. Seeing Elektron now release a new product only fuels this frustration; It suggests that the Digitakt isn’t the number one priority anymore.
People should be allowed to express these frustrations. But wild speculation, false allegations, and targeting moderators isn’t going to help.
I sincerely believe that Elektron is working hard to resolve the issues. The fact that they are looking for a new software developer further substantiates this. I am looking forward to the near future, where firmware updates will underline the merit of these already amazing machines.

5 Likes

This is very true indeed. Also when the OT mk2 had some serious bug it was fixed quickly while Digitakt owners were left waiting, and are still waiting.

But, I understand Elektron might want to fix and lot of things in one go. Personally I would rather see quick firmware releases that addresses one or a few bugs at the time. Like a hotfix.

1 Like

I hardly think it is unreasonable to express disappointment that bug fixes and promised functionality are long overdue for Digitakt. I’ve reluctantly bought an audio interface to use while travelling because I couldn’t use the promised Digitakt audio in function when it was clearly promised both before and after the release of the box.

In fact, I think portraying these sentiments as unreasonable is quite insulting.

Roll on the fixes. And buyers - be warned what to expect.

2 Likes

its more the tone of some comments i think is the issue. voicing a genuine concern in a calm and collected way is fine, and that still gets the point across. its when there’s a nasty undertone that people will flag comments. we can voice our issues regarding updates and still have a nice environment :slight_smile:

7 Likes

For all angry people who are waiting for bug-fixes and stuff - it’s just natural for everyone to expect a fully - and properly - functional product where they have invested a good deal of money - especially when actions are taken to expand the disposable income budget by making savings in life to get the hands on machines like this.

On the other hand - as a manifacturing business issue has many aspects. Organization needs to be alive with releasing new products, plan and draft future products while perfecting former products etc. - and in an environment where Elektron is on the process of expanding the product line. It needs a great deal of time and effort to adjust - and there comes to set priorities. Seemingly Digitakt is left at the back of the list - yea maybe. But i find it a bit early to judge the credibility of the company - i don’t think they completely left the product to it’s fate.

So - it’s a matter of perspective - and both makes sense. This makes it an issue about the brand’s relationship with it’s customers to find a safezone where everyone feels comfortable.

2 Likes

I think that everyone here probably have a right to feel the way they do, and express it, but the main problem is, I think, on a larger scale, that we are all so tired of all these opinions - the internet has opened a floodgate, and we are drowning in opinions about every little thing.

I need a break. Love to all :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It’s coming in November for sure!

While i agree with this, there’s also a tendency to shut down any criticism of the elektron units, even withing the bug reports and feature requests-threads. If you’re unhappy with delays to promised functionality, people tell you to just sell the unit and move on. Which is kind of irritating when people are just discussing certain realities. But with that said, I don’t appreciate the constant whining in every thread about the missing functionality. We get it, it’s delayed, we’re all waiting.

4 Likes