Delay whole track by miliseconds

I think swing is related to beat position, that won’t be delayed.
I’ve always found sequencers swing uggly, never use it.

2 Likes

True… anyway I think swing on the Elektron machines isn’t fix to even notes positions only, you have the swing triggers to decide which note will be delayed, so in theory if you set On all swing triggers on all positions,
the whole track should be delayed. I’m pretty sure you can set even odd notes anyway I will check later when at studio and let you know.

Cheers,

2 Likes

You can set all notes indeed, but some will be played before, some after regular position. I’d like to make a theory, but swing is so uggly that I won’t. :smile:

EDIT: the next assumption is not true.

Oh you meant odd notes will be played in advance and even notes will be played delayed. That makes sense indeed :slight_smile:

Just tested, all notes got delayed, so swing can be used to delay the full track. Happy delaying.

7 Likes

Indeed, nice solution Gustavo.
@sezare56 it’s nice to see after years of knowing this machine inside out you can still learn something about it. :smile:

2 Likes

Happy to be wrong ! All trigs delayed indeed.

Thanks, it will be interesting for me and granular stuff, retrigs with enveloppes, playing sample delayed with different swing settings and different start positions. :thup:

It would be interesting to make a chart with correspondance between swing and micro timing values.

I was confused by a different behavior on Roland Mc 303/505 etc for groove quantize.

2 Likes

I am confused as balls. I thought universally swing/groove was applied according to the relation of notes to each other. Usually 16th notes next to each other. 4 to the floor kick drum can be swung up to its tits but it won’t sound any different. You are saying that on OT you could have these kick drums come after the beat using swing?

1 Like

On a lot of devices, swing is a delaying of a note trigger applied only to the off-beat (or up-beat) steps and doesn’t affect the on-beat / down-beat steps at all. On Elektron devices with a swing setting, you can choose which steps of the sequencer receive the delaying effect of the swing. Activate it on all trigs and the entire pattern is effectively shifted.

6 Likes

Swing on Elektron devices (at least, on all the ones I own - MD/MnM/OT) doesn’t shift notes earlier in the sequencer - only later. On some other devices, groove templates can move certain notes forward and other notes back - as on your MC-505 example. On others, moving notes earlier is referred to as “shuffle” and moving notes later is referred to as “swing”. E.g. on the TR-8, turning the knob to the right from the centre point introduces shuffle and turning it to the left introduces swing.

2 Likes

Well that is my mind absolutely expanded. I though swing was a fixed thing, that the word swing referred to a specific set of rules across all devices and instances (when I was a kid I played trombone in a jazz band and we all played swung quavers), and you simply dialed in its intensity. I thought shuffle was a different word for it.

Absolutely crazy thank you

2 Likes

Micro Timing + 1/32 > Swing 75 %

Unfortunately it doesn’t match perfectly.
1/24 values for Microtiming
1/50 values for Swing

Microtiming + 1/64 is between Swing 62/63 (62.5).
I wish it could match Micro Timing ticks better.