Delaying the sample start without microtiming

Hi,

I’m using my OT to control MIDI hardware and for playing samples. Because of a complicated MIDI path, there is always a small amount of latency on the MIDI side. I use a E-RM multiclock for synch duties so it is not a problem to shift the clock backwards a little. The problem with this is that I’m shifting the sample playback backwards in the same manner.

I’m trying to delay the sample start for compensating the anticipated clock and for this I see two alternatives:

• add a short silence with an audio editor before every sample loaded (tedious).
  • use the microtiming function for every trigg (less tedious but slow).

is there a way to set the sample start before the beginning of the sample? I don’t think so. Is there a way to quickly shift all triggs with a predefined microtiming? hmmm…

Any solution for this?

*I don’t want to do it without shifting the clock backwards, otherwise every connected MIDI hardware would suffer with latency.

Thanks

Possible with swing, if you select all swing trigs, then increase swing. It’s faster to set and behaves like positive microtiming.
@gbravetti’s idea…
Delay whole track by miliseconds - #20 by gbravetti

Some values :
Delay whole track by miliseconds - #32 by sezare56

It’s also possible to delay tracks with…the delay. Set Delay SET UP > DIR to 0.

5 Likes

EDIT: you may not need to mess with sample start, if you can adjust your entire system to make the OT the “reference “, as it were. End EDIT.

If you monitor through your DAW, you can usually use a combo of E-RM settings plus track latency/hw latency settings on the DAW track(s), to get your audio synced pretty tightly with the midi. Granted, I don’t know your particular signal flow and you might have timing problems unique to your setup.

Just for reference, I run a hybrid setup with Live and the Multiclock, and with careful settings the only thing that isn’t super-tight is is trying to sequence external hw via the DAW while simultaneously running a sequence on the external hw itself. As long as I avoid this, it’s all good. A key element of making things work for me, is using chains in each Live track, with each chain containing an external instrument device with a unique hw latency setting, specific to how I am currently sequencing the hw. So for example, one track may have three chains - one for when I’m sequencing with Live, one for sequencing with the OT, and one for a sequence that is on the hw itself. I just switch between these with a dial depending on what I’m doing, and everything is tight and on-grid.

Thanks for all your great solutions!

You might want to expose why you have such MIDI delays in your setup, and maybe someone can help you solve this.

Seems more adequate than messing with your sample play, all the more if you’re used to live record your trigs… :persevere:

1 Like

:wink:

Ableton -> Multiclock ->

• Multiclock 1 -> Analog clock to Pamela’s New Workout -> modular
  • Multiclock 2 -> MIDI trough -> TD-3, RYTM, OB-6
  • Multiclock 3 -> Octatrack -> Hexinverter Mutant Brain -> DFAM
  • Multiclock 4 -> TR-6S

The delay occurs on the Mutant Brain MIDI to CV conversion. The rest of the system runs tight.

You could use the RYTM to output some CV on a dedicated track, maybe.

I didn’t know that the RYTM could output CV, but anyway with the DFAM the magic happens when modulating several CVs inputs and I doubt I could do this only with the RYTM.

BTW: The lack of a reset input in the DFAM is the biggest design mistake. The sequencer is almost unusable for anything but improvisation. That’s the reason I’m sequencing it with the Octatrack.

You can output a pulse from one of the separate outs of the AR (and remove it from the main)
I’d go with the lowest tom, I guess.
Cool thing is you can go crazy with the clock (e.g. trig conditions, retrigs, swing, etc)