Dedicated drum machine

Until now OT mk1 has been providing drums on tracks 1-4 but it’s time to free those up to dive into sampling/resampling and add some drum synthesis capability. In lots of ways, Rytm mk1 seems a no-brainer to me, but I could also see Machinedrum (of course), Tanzmaus/Tanzbar, Tempest and maybe a Jomox.

Leaning towards analog drums since I can always use digital samples (OT/MPC2500). Had a MDUW in the past and didn’t gel with it - but that was pre-OT so now I understand Elektron workflow and sequencer better. My other gear is Tetra, BS2, Avalon, Virus, Modular.

Interested in what others use and why.
Let the indecision begin :slight_smile:

1 Like

Personally, I always loved using the DT alongside the OT. The OT/DT/HT create magic together.

4 Likes

I have to some degree some knowledge of Elektron drum machines, been an owner of every drum related Elektron device except the Rytm and as far as drum sequencing goes I use the OP-Z. It’s great at quickly making intricate drum grooves. And the midi inplementation is imo best in class, you can sequence tempo changes, track length and track speed from OT to make really crazy sequences.

And if you ever doing live gigs and feel like the OP-Z is to fiddly for live use, then you can just sample the sequences into OT and use that.

4 Likes

Hadn’t considered that but will now, thanks :pray:

Ive got an OT, Digitone, plus a bunch of analogue synths old and new.
Drum machines I have Roland TR09 (bought on a whim, totally love it) and Roland TR8-S.
I had negative experience with the ARmk2 so I returned it and swapped for the TR8s. I wanted reliability.

If you want classic TR sounds, then really go that direction. If you want sound design and sexy sequencing, maybe get something else ( although sequencing the TR machines from my OT is super easy)

I also recently got a model cycles to use as a drum machine. I didnt like it at all so sold it within a couple of days. Basically If I want weird drum sounds I just use my synths and sample them. Job done. Nothing cuts through a mix like the old TR drum sounds, they just work. I guess thats why people still like them.

1 Like

One more thing to consider which I didn’t think of is that, straight out of the box OP-Z and OT can’t communicate. OP-Z only does midi usb and OT does only din midi. So you will need an OP-lab. There are other solutions as well, a few examples are rolanD um-one mkii, Faderfox uc4, RK-006 (or was it 005?)

1 Like

I cast a vote for Rytm MK1
If you’re comfortably using Octatrack, you’ll be at home on Rytm in very little time.
The compact form factor allows very fast workflow.

I’ve owned a number of Jomox products and, while the sound is by most accounts “fatter”, the workflow of the XBase series is totally creamed by Rytm. So I sampled a couple bits and bobs from Jomox and other machines and just keep on using the Rytm and getting faster and faster with it.

2 Likes

Yes, things I think Rytm has going for it are integrated workflow with OT (saves my brain), the kick/distortion/compression (maybe overused but not by me), enough drum synthesis but not overwhelming.

1 Like

I probably should look more into TR8S before deciding! Although, I guess I can use samples for TR sounds on my MPC. Obviously don’t get much/any sound shaping then…

Analog 4 is wicked for drums also!

6 Likes

Lots of people say this, do you use it in this way? Dark trinity hmm… :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m also looking for a dedicated drum machine for a long time. Still using the OT with samples from mars, wave alchemy and goldbaby samples and always come to the conclusion that this is just more flexible than a drum machine with a narrow range of sounds…
But might also be liberating just having something that is on point…

Anyway, hard to decide. Many great options.
For something classic and simple, I would look into TR8/TR8s, the boutiques or MFB drum machines. Jomox seems quite pricy.
For deeper sound sculpting I guess Rytm or Tempest… While the latter is also very expensive, but sounds really great as a polyphonic synth as well (a friend owns one).

And yeah, analog four drums are great. But only 4 tracks. Used it in livesets as drum machine. Kick, Snare, Clap and Hihat/cymbal channel. And filled the soundpool with 128 drums, so I could go crazy with soundlocks if needed. Also macros mapped to parameters you would usually find in a analog drum machine and to effect sends. Works pretty great.
Also the multimap feature is awesome for drums. Especially when sequenced from OT.
Ask @sezare56 for examples :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I can talk for Analog Rytm and MachineDrum, owning both. I think their sonic difference should be underlined. I started with the AR and found its sound really fat and “in your face”. However, this sound is not always easy to fit into a mix. Moreover, I’m more into glitch and for that the AR was not the best IMHO. Of course you can glitch with it, but it’s not so readily glitachable as the MD, that really shines in this respect. I would also add that the MD looks more flexible to me, with more machines at the cost of a more basic sequencer.

2 Likes

Go for it then!
Analogue Four is also good for drums, but it is time consuming to set them, unless you use a sound pack.
For digital drums I prefer Digitone over Machinedrum, but of course it is not dedicated.
Digitone has Multi Map too.

@taro FM pack for A4, sequenced by OT using Multi Map

2 Likes

Part of the problem is I like nearly everything, so I want to try making nearly everything, and as you say certain machines are better at certain things. This is why I still have an MPC, one day I might just make that hip hop or house banger!

1 Like

Indeed I did have thought of getting a second OT to use exclusively for drums, you could do a lot worse!
Those samples from mars are great too, I got the entire catalog when they were on sale last year and that’s a lifetime of sounds.
Did you think about Tanzbar or Jomox at all?

1 Like

That’s an important point. Got to be careful of overfacing myself with too many OS/sequencers to learn. Done that before!

I think about the Tanzbär a lot. It sounds great, and can go further than the typical Rolands (except TR8s). And I seem the go for around 500-600…
Jomox seems to sound great. But I read bad things about customer service and buggy units, so their price class is too high for me.

1 Like

Recently got the ARmk2 to go with OT and DN. Main considerations were synthesis (+ sampling) for sound design and overbridge support. Feels like this trio can cover so much ground.

I have played around with TR8 and TR8s as well. The TR8s is very fun to use and sounds great (even on bigger soundsystems) but for mainly studio duties the Rytm came out on top for me…

1 Like

What’s your budget?

In the way of analog drms not mentioned (from which I’d go for Tanzbar 1, apparently hard to find now):

You MIGHT like the Vermona DRM, but with no presets - not suitable for live shows IMO

Also AVP Synth MAD-7

As for digital - Nord Drum 2 and 3 - most powerful drum synth engine there is; sounds great but no individual outs.

I’m very tempted by the Modal Cykles as an FM drum machine - I see it as an Korg ER-1 on steroids and then some! Shame it doesn’t have 4 outs